Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Test rode several bikes today...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by maurice, Jul 27, 2015.

1. and none of them blew me away. All were nice, but just that.

Honda VFR800F MY12. Felt like a battleship. First time on those roads, however, so perhaps I was a bit cautious.
    Triumph Street Triple. Probably my favourite bike of the day. Liked the nimbleness of it.
    Kawa Z800. Ok.
    Yamaha MT-09. Too many horses for me, I think.
    Suzi Bandit 1250. Ok.
    Suzi V-Strom 650. Was surprised by this, was nicer than I expected.

I'm going to ride some more tomorrow, including a MY14 VFR (which is 10kg lighter).

Is my expectation that a bike will scream "BUY ME" unrealistic? (um... figuratively speaking, ofc)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I test road a street triple the other day and it was glorious. super smooth, the fueling was great and didn't have any choppiness - but definitely would send you flying if given a handful.

maybe one day I'll get a daytona after my P's
  3. I think I would have bought the Triumph Street Triple if I had test ridden one before I placed my order for the Yamaha MT-09. The reviews say the engine can overwhelm the chassis but it can also overwhelm the rider if you're a newb like me -_-
  4. 848 ... vroooom Though I am hopelessly in love with the idea of an xjr 1300.... Not the rossi one.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. That's a perfectly reasonable expectation. I really enjoy test riding for a new steel horse. When i jumped on a Daytona 675 a few years back I came home grimning like an idiot. It screamed buy me alright. Tried testing another bike, took it back early and then went straight out and bought the Daytona. I now own a Street Triple RX. Had to retire the Daytona due to a neck injury. Same engine, tuned slightly different. Enjoy the shopping, everyone finds that special beast if they look around. Sometimes that means paying a fair bit more than you planned. Better than settling on something half heartedly and leaving that craving unsatisfied. Let us know what you pull the trigger on!
  6. I'm a firm believer that the bike chooses you!

Test rode a MV Agusta Brutale 800 the other day and was still obsessing about it the next day. Got off a BMW S1000r and first thought was that it was not as nice.

Guess what I will be buying......
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Try something not as well known, give the Aprilia Shiver 750 a test and see how you go - make sure you ride it in both "T" and 'S" modes as there is a world of difference!!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sometimes you can love something on the first go, and other times it will get better the more you do it ;)

But you do want to like the bike on the first go, OK would not be how I want to describe the experience!

9. Z1000 > Z800 in almost everyway except price, I'd suggest throwing a leg over the thou and see how it goes.

I rode my brother's St3R on the weekend and loved it. It's just a shame about the headlights and the sily looking top hat thing. Oh, and a 800 triple about to be dropped which will reduce the price of any newly purchased St3 further than normal I expect.

TheraThera I know what you mean regarding the XJR. I never really knew of them until one parked next to me at work. It had a really nice dark screen on it and just looked like a seriously awesome bike.
  10. IMO the Z1000 is one of those bikes that are wonderful to ride and blah to look at, the XJR OTOH is rather blah to ride but wonderful to look at.

The Street Triple OTOH is both nice to ride and nice to look at :)
  11. I'll prob get flamed for flipping the coin over to the other side but eh.. what the hell..
    First let me preface my post with a disclaimer that I always, repeat always try and purchase with my head rather than my heart. I like to research (sometimes ad nauseam) so that when I finally make a decision I know I'm getting exactly what I want and avoid any buyers remorse. It also means I avoid getting caught up in the moment and making a decision that upon reflection was made purely based on emotion rather than logic (or a really good salesman).
    I will add however that there is certainly more emotion involved in a bike purchase than a few other things in life.

It's hard for me however to comprehend how you can test ride upwards of 6 bikes and still have no idea what you want?
    Maybe this is just my own issue however whenever I've sold anything (I've disposed of 30+vehicles over the years) I always list the item at a fair price which sells quickly. When someone comes to look at my XXX, I don't haggle on price and ask to see evidence of a deposit (just proof you can pay it) before anyone get's anywhere near the keys. If you haven't brought a deposit, you're just tire kicking and wasting my time and let's be honest, you wasted 6 peoples time yesterday.
    The only time this might be OK is if you're buying a brand new bike and you head into a dealer who is desperate for the sale. Again though, if you walked into a dealer and asked them to wheel out 6 bikes for you to test ride, they'd prob laugh you out of the dealership.
    Those bikes you have listed are all quite different (Adventure, Sports Tourer, Naked, Tourer) so can I politely suggest you do some on-line research of your own to find out why type of bike is suitable for your needs. Once you have the right information then go and "sit" on them, don't ride..."sit" on a few maybe at a dealer to find one that suits your preferred position and then, and only then start test riding some.
    All you're doing right now is sitting down at the restaurant table and adding shite loads of pages to the food menu that will only create more uncertainty and confusion.

Anyway, as they used to say "You need to know where you're going before launching from the starting gate".

All the best mauricemaurice Bike hunting is lot's of fun but be respectful of others time as not all of us have much to spare.

12. Everyone has their own method of finding the right bike.

I follow the 3 easy steps.

1. Work out what my budget is.
    2. Ride EVERYTHING I can that falls within that budget.
    3. Buy the bike I liked the most.

But I'll test ride bikes even if I'm not looking to replace the current one. Why? Because I can.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Firstly, thank you for your feedback. It was, overall, very much appreciated (as was everyone else's, thanks :)).

As for the part I've quoted, I would like to simply say your assumptions are 100% wrong. I fully expect test rides, sans deposit. If a dealer demands a deposit, they lose a sale. None of them did. One of them called me last night and suggested that I come in today and test ride a few more bikes. Which I did. Heck, 6 bikes, 4 salesmen/bike shops, and all four of them seemed to WANT to go out for a ride with me. They all gave me seemingly useful feedback on my wants/needs/concerns.

Good news? I'll be making an offer on a new MY15 VFR800F. Rode one today, and it felt a LOT nicer than yesterday's MY12.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Have you outgrown the baby Honda already, mate?
  15. In the twisties id like a bit more power but where it's at now is quite fine. But I think at high speeds and daily commuting is probably pushing the engine a bit too hard.
  16. Great to hear you've found the bike for you. It's a very nice feeling.

Just to clarify my earlier point about requiring a deposit. As a private seller (not a dealer) I ask to "see" proof of a deposit. That is all. I don't ask them to pay one on the spot however I do ask to hold their licence. I don't think either are unreasonable request's as they can still walk away and not buy the bike without a penny down but at least then they know I'm there to sell and I know they are there to buy.
    There should also be some flexibility with dealers versus private sellers. A private seller is simply disposing of his/her item whereas a dealer is in business to sell bikes and make a profit. So there is an expectation of them spending more time with potential buyers. They are paid to be there. I on the other hand are not.

Again, congratulations on your selection. I've never ridden a VFR however they come from a great lineage and are super reliable.

all the best
  17. With retirement lurking in the not too distant future, as much as I love my 20 year-old VFR, I'm sorely tempted by the new VFR-800...... You must keep us up-to-date with your experience with it....
  18. Good choice! Make sure you update us if they accept your offer on the bike :)
  19. Picked up my brand spanking new VFR800F (red, my15) yesterday. Went out for 3 rides - funny enough, I kept on finding stuff I just HAD to do :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Yeah very nice bike.