Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Test Riding

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by screwball, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Sup fellow bikers,

So anyway, I've been riding my 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 now for a couple of years. I've spent probably 80% of my time commuting on it, and 20% "fun" riding.

I'm starting to get "the itch" where I want to get out there and get me some strange. Don't get me wrong, the Trumpy is an absolute gun of a ride, but I just can't help but want to try out a few other bikes.

I am basically looking at getting a new bike at the start of the financial year.

I really want to get out and test ride everything.. When I say everything, I mean all of my Daytona's competitors and more.

So my question is this:

Has anyone done this before and how receptive are dealers to allowing back to back to back to back test rides?

When I bought the trumpet I went in and rode it. Then I went back and rode a Kawasaki ZX6, a Suzuki GSXR750 and another Daytona.

All of those bikes were ridden with very little experience so I really couldn't have appreciated the differences. Now that I've spent a bit of time on my bike, I feel that test riding some more bikes will be of significant benefit.

I don't want to piss a dealer off so bad they don't want to deal with me by riding every bike in their yard, and I don't want to have to travel 100km to visit different stealerships to ride different bikes purely to stop from rubbing some tool salesman up the wrong way.

Anyone done this before? Any tactics? Stories?

2. Just do it over a period of time. Plus tell them you are cashed up and not a tyre kicker.
    Prob better off shortening the list a bit though. You must have some idea of what you want?
    Naked, tourer, sport?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hey mate,

Yeah I've got a few things in mind. The bottom line is that I will *not* be downgrading speed. As it is, I don't like how little distance I get between me and the cages off the lights as it is.

Essentially I will be trying out all of the 600's and the 750 in the supersport range, and I plan on trying out the Triumph Street/Speed triple.

I have had thoughts of going naked, but I have this impression that naked bikes are tuned softer than the supersports, and I don't want to have a "lame" engine. That's my principle fear, hence the want to ride many many rigs between now and when I lay down the cash.
  4. thought about the new bimmer thow?
  5. Truthfully, I've never considered the BMW range. Firstly, cost has to be a factor.. 15k for a new supersports vs god knows how much for the BMW litre. If I were in that range, I'd be looking at an MV F3.
  6. You can tune a naked engine if need be. You'd end up with aftermarket cans and a PC too so that'll give you extra lift.
  7. compare apples with apples
  8. Once you show you're not a 'tire kicker', which should show naturally, any good salesman should be hanging off you trying to keep you in their shop riding every bike on the floor instead of going "next door".
    Any attitude, telling them you're going round the corner to try out a few more rides should have them jumping up and down to keep you on their bikes...

9. I don't think the MV F3 is in the BMW price range, it is around 18k ride away isn't it?
  10. I went into Team Moto Yamah (Enoggera), and basically told them that I knew what bike I wanted, but I wanted to test ride every one of it's competitors to make sure that I was going to be happy with my purchase. Organised a day the next week to come in and just do test rides - take two bikes out with one of the dealers, swap and head back. In the end I rode eight different bikes that day. Were very helpful, was plenty of fun too. Nice to find what fits your height, ride style etc.

Basically, when it comes down to it, there's not much extra cost for the shop to let you test ride some bikes, but it will end well for them if you decide to drop ~$20k on a brand new shiny. If they're not happy to help you find the bike that is right for you, go elsewhere.
  11. You're about half way there :p
  12. there's not much your going to be able to buy from a dealer for 9k ;)
  13. I would have thought having to ride 100km to visit the stealership would be good enough excuse. Also riding there in a 675 would indirectly show that you are already in their target market and a current player. Also riding a competitor would be a plus?

Perhaps calling them up and being upfront with them. Tell them you have to travel 100km to see them and don't want to be dragging the process out and would like to test say 3-4 bikes on the same day and see what they say. That way when you turn up and introduce yourself they'll have it all ready for you and everyone knows what to expect. Maybe even tell a little white lie like you want to decide which bike to buy within the next x weeks? Dealers like short time frames. I've found when you say 6-9 months they leave you alone lol

If they are negative... well... do you really want to be dealing with them? I've noticed that most of the top brands are sold by at least 2 dealerships. And there are always more than 1 salesperson to deal with... you are afterall the one buying and with the $$,$$$. and sales are commission based...
  14. Not calling them "stealerships" will probably assist in getting rides. If you think they steal, why are you going there anyway, buy private.
  15. Cos they have a wider range of bikes to test ride and guaranteed to be in good condition? It wouldn't be nice to be taking private sellers on test rides now would it?
  16. Make sure you stress to the person you're not just wasting their time, and maybe create a shorter list of bikes... if someone came into a motorbike shop wanting to ride 20 bikes, and then didn't buy anything.. i would be a bit frustrated and pissed.
  17. I don't know how it is outside of WA, but when I wanted a new toy, I made an extensive list of everything I wanted to try and went around and explained to each dealer that I wanted to sample every 1000ish sportsbike. Over here each of the main 4 have a couple of exclusive dealers, with the duc/KTM combined, aprillia/MV combined and the Trumpy and BMW having a couple of combined a couple exclusive stores.

They were all really good about it and understood what I wanted and that I would (Statistically speaking) be unlikely to choose their bike. I tried to ride each bike as close together as I could mange given time contraints and travel distances (seriously, you are going to be spending >10k on this and hopefully keeping it for a while, it's worth a couple of hours and some petrol finding the perfect machine).

I also wrote up as much of my thoughts on each bike as I could remember as soon as I got back from the rides so I could go back and have a look afterwards while considering which one to get as reading my thoughts about them would often jog my memory about something I did or didn't like compared to another bike.

A big example of this was the Beemer, the power overwhelmed everything else, and although it handled really well, that and many other thoughts were lost amongst the focus on just how bloody fast it was. When I went back and read my notes though, I could concentrate more on the other things that got sidetracked.

At the end of the day though, I suspect the bike will choose you anyway, and you will just know which one it is.

I would also suggest having a crack on the thous as well, as I suspect you might find the other 600's a bit tame after being used to the 675.
    • Like Like x 1