Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Test riding/buying a bigger cc bike on restrictions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by undii, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I am planning to buy a > 250cc bike shortly before my restrictions are over. Just wondering what dealers stance normally is for people on restricted licence to test ride and/or buy a bike like this?

2. My guess is they'll be happy to sell it to you, but won't be at all keen to give you a test ride.

3. I have heard of dealers still providing test rides, etc, but making restricted riders sign what amounts to a waiver stating that you are still restricted and stuff. I even spoke to a guy on an L's course a couple of weeks ago who had managed to buy a GSX-R 750 without a bike licence :shock:
    He said they did make him sign such a form, and even managed to get the thing insured.
    With all that in mind, though, some dealerships may have a different view. Check beforehand.

4. With the waivers they use, the bike shops aren't worried if the bike is ridden by an unlicenced rider. It crashes, it's sold (or in the case of a young learner mate of my son's - they collect bulk dollars to cover the minor repairs.)

I'd like to see him claim on his insurance if he crashes it without holding an appropriate licence.

5. i test rode a Z250 on my Ls and a YZF600R on my restrictions. it'll depend on the dealer, but if you just go in expecting to get a ride, i dont think they'll question you :wink:

they know they wont get a sale if you dont get a ride....