Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Temptation, temptation

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Knowing how paranoid most of us our about our bikes and their security, imagine how stunned I was to walk past our local butcher's shop this morning and see a shiny, tempting Fireblade parked at the curb with its keys in the ignition :shock:.

I can just imagine the call to the insurance company if someone had taken the opportunity......

2. I have to admit that I've accidentally done that several times.

3. yeah i'm guilty of that too, but my bike isn't really worth stealing

4. my bike's not worth stealing either, but I take the keys even if it's not going to be out of sight

but, yeah, I guess it was just an oversight on the part of the owner, but it was a bit of a surprise

5. Possibly asking for trouble if you were caught in the act though.

ouchie.

6. great idea for a sting to catch bike thieves

7. Always always always take the key out. I had this drummed into me as a beginner and it was a good lesson. As your leg swings off the bike, the key comes out - every time.

8. I use to leave the key in the bike when it was locked in the garage, but after leaving the key in the ignition a few times when I went to the shops I quickly got in the habit of taking the key out all the time.

9. Maybe with a slower bike though. You know, just in case...

10. I have heard a story, a number of times, from a number of sources. I don't personally know how accurate it is. For all I know it could be 100% fabrication, but...

Mentor Motorcycles won the Castrol 6 hour several times, and in (I think it must have been 83) put the race winning CB1100R on the footpath the following monday morning, exactly as it finished the race. The locking fuel cap still had the spare key in it, because that's how they raced it. Shifty looking bloke walks up and looks at it, pulls the key out, slips it in the ignition and finds that it works. He takes it back out, puts it back in the tank, opens the tank and peeps inside. Then he shuts the tank and walks off. A few minutes later he comes back, puting on a helmet. One of the sales guys was headed out the door and the other was picking up the phone to call the cops even as the guy was throwing his leg over the bike, but they weren't quick enough. The cops caught sight of him within a minute, and gave chase because he was going for it, but they weren't quick enough. The police helicopter (jetranger) picked him up on the western freeway and gave chase. It wasn't quick enough. (I know, heli, I'm also a flying buff. I'm just telling the story as it was told to me.)

Two cops are sitting in a ford F100 paddy wagon out on the western outskirts, listening to this unfold on the 2-way. What was said we don't know, but they anticipated he might take a particular exit and head up a long straight country road - not far from where they were. So they drove over and set up a road block. Just past the crest of a hill. They either didn't realise or didn't care that a bike coming over the hill at 250+ k would not be able to stop. A couple of cars got stopped and waved to one side, and then with both cops sitting in the van, the bike came over the hill. The rider backed off for about a second, then opened it up again and aimed it at the driver's door. He went, and he took them both with him. It cut the F100 in half, and the remains of the bike motor were still many tens of metres further up the road.

Legend has it that Mentors had a display, inside the shop, with chains around it, of a CB1100RA, B, and D. There was a photo of the C, but no bike. The ones on display never again had the key left in them.

Now let me repeat, that might be just a you-beaut urban myth, but I've heard the story, with slight variations, quite a few times.

[edit] Just went and had a look at the history of the 6 hour, and as told to me, the story couldn't possibly be true. The facts make it impossible. So what the basis in fact was, if there ever was one, I don't know. It's a much repeated yarn though.

11. As I recall, the part about the bike being on show out the front of the shop is true, the rest is pure fantasy.

Talking through a tap on my Galaxy S!

12. I liked it as a story but yeah those stories of crime getting their come upperances are never true as people want their to be natural justice even where one doesn't exist.

Tempted to send it to myth busters, it would be cool to see if they can get a remote control bike to cut a car in half. Not donating the r1 though.

13. ... I have no doubt that the engine from a big bike would be able to punch all the way through a car - even a solid one with a separate chassis like an F100 - and come out the other side with some speed still on it. Whether you could reliably demonstrate that car physically separating into two or more large chunks, that I have my doubts about. Some things can happen spontaneously in the wild that are almost impossible to duplicate in the lab, or on mythbusters. That says they're unlikely, not that it didn't happen or couldn't happen.

To illustrate. When I was in Adelaide in '82, we had about 4 instances in 6 months where people put commadores sideways into objects and had the car come apart into two major pieces. One of them was a police car. Many photos, much investigation, some controversy. Seems at least one of these cars hit something at a speed where you wouldn't think it would break in two like that. Witness accounts, survivors, crash investigators all agreed that the dunny-door hit the tree / post etc side on at no more than 30 ~ 40 km/h and broke like an egg. Holden maintained that was impossible and showed slo-mo crash test footage that seemed to prove it. Mystery never successfully resolved as far as I'm concerned. I reckon there's a few of those old dunny-doors had shit welds or no welds half way around the firewall. 'Oh, but they're all the same.' You reckon? You ever worked in a factory? In theory they're all the same, yeah.

All I'm saying is that when you start talking about road crashes, very odd things do sometimes happen.

Like the flying HO. Alright - another tall tale. Don't read it if you're not interested.

We had a big prang one night on the SE Freeway at Nathan, right about on top of the hill. A woman in her 40s went into the city and got drunk, which was out of character, and then got in her car and tried to drive home, and to cut a long story short, ended up driving south on the northbound side of the freeway, with her lights off, at 1am, at probably about 140. It might have been 160 - nobody knows. She got from the city to nearly as far as Mt Cravatt before she met a gaggle of cars and the one at the back didn't have time to see her and dodge. Head on. 2 vic in the northbound, driver only in the southbound ...

I used to catch the train home at 6am and sometimes shared it with a copper, a sergeant. Sometimes we'd talk. The morning after the big prang, I asked about it and he said that he'd been there and helped a bit with the investigation and clean up. He told me what happened. So I asked him if that was the worst one he'd seen. No, he'd been to accidents where five and six people had died and stuff. Ok, was it the most spectacular, or wildest accident he'd seen? No, other yarns ... finally he says the 'best' accident he'd ever seen was when he was a recruit copper in 1972, out in the country.

City boy, recruit, transferred out to some one horse town in central QLD, because that's what they used to do to young blokes to toughen them up a bit. So sunday morning, somebody rings the power company to complain their electricity is off. The power company comes to investigate, and finds a scene, so they call the cops. The old Sergeant and (our) young recruit turn up about lunch time, and find a power pole snapped off 5m off the ground. The top of the pole and the cross piece are hanging from one cable, but the other is down. About 3m of the middle of the pole is missing. It's just gone. Starting at that point, and fanning out from it on a narrow angle, like a shotgun blast, there are pieces of wreckage. Little bits of glass, a few small bits of twisted sheet-metal, some stuff that might be parts of a car, some drops of blood here and there, and bits of raw meat and bone and guts.

So the old sergeant walks around and looks at things for a few minutes and then stands near the pole, and looks back toward the road. 200m away, the long straight road has a slight kink in it, and standing at the pole you're looking straight down the middle of the road after the kink. There are no tyre tracks or scuff marks or wreckage between the pole and the road. The old Sergeant says "He's lost control on that bend, become airborne, and the car's hit the pole behind us, and disintegrated."

Our young recruit says "How could it fly through the air like that? There's no lump or hill or launcher of any kind. There's not even any wheel tracks or marking on the ground?" The sergeant shakes his head and walks off toward the road. When he gets there, he says "Can you see the skid marks?"

Starting about 200m further back up the road, there are two quite faint skid marks, which diverge into four marks, and then fade out into nothing. They're not thick heavy marks, they're quite faint, and they fade out a good 50m before the slight bend even starts. The sergeant says "I'll tell you what's happened. He's come down here at speed, he's seen the bend in the headlights, he's swung the wheel, and the back of the car has come around. Then, the air has gotten under the car and lifted it, and the car has rolled through the air like a football, like a torpedo pass, all the way to that pole and hit it."

The young recruits says "That's not possible. There's no way a car can take off like that and fly." The sergeant replies "Did you ever see a black fella swing a bull roarer around his head? Did you ever tie your shoe lace to a ruler, at school, and swing it to make that noise? Did you ever see someone lose the grip on the string and watch the ruler curve and twist through the air? The tumbling rolling action gives it lift, and stability, and it can fly off in directions you never imagined. If a car gets airborne at high enough speed, a similar thing can happen to it. It can roll, and float through the air in ways you'd never imagine. That's what's happened here."

The recruit point blank did not believe him. He had the common sense not to argue, but he dismissed the theory as rubbish.

The investigation found the remains of two Australian soldiers, two aboriginal women, and three dogs. They think. They're not sure. The car was an XY GT V8 falcon, not a HO but done up to look like one. The engine had been very significantly hotted. They also found lots of the old yellow xxxx cans.

So my recruit, now an old sergeant himself, and a full time crash investigator, goes on. Ten years go by. Then he happens to be watching the Daytona 500 on the tv - and there's a crash. At the fastest point on the track, two cars touch, and one gets a little sideways, and the air gets under it, and it lifts. The heavy stuff wants to go straight, but the top part of the car gets lifted toward the infield, so the car begins to roll toward the left, the opposite way to what you'd expect a car to roll on a left hand bend. It continues to roll and float down the track at 200 mph (ish) for something like 400m before it touches the ground again. At that moment, and only then, does my mate the copper believe the story his old sergeant told him.

"Until I saw that with my own eyes, I didn't think it could happen. Alright, it was television, but it was a sporting event - not a movie. These weren't special effects. It was just what the old bloke said could happen. I sat there with my mouth open for 5 minutes watching the slow motion replays. I just couldn't believe my own eyes."

"So that was the biggest accident I've ever personally seen. That car floated over 200m through the air, hit an electricity pole 5m off the ground, and exploded. And we still found the engine block a quarter of a mile further away. The property owner called us a week later and gave us a wheel. We'd only found 3. We asked him to show us where he found it and it was nearly a fucken mile from where the car left the road. And we still aren't sure how many people were in the car. She was a you-beaut prang."

Now of course an off duty sergeant of police and crash investigator might have made that story up to impress me. Or maybe he was repeating a story told to him. But he told me he'd been there and seen it. It was a bl**dy great story, anyway.

14. When I first moved down here to Geelong last year, I had to go back to Melbourne once a month to see my GP for my monthly pain meds until I found a GP in Geelong (took over 6 months!) who could 'handle' seeing me.

Anyway, left my bike parked near Swan Street Richmond, 2006 675 daytona, went to the GP, chemist, all up gone for about 90ish minutes. Walked back to my bike and noticed I left the key in the ignition... I DEFINITELY make sure everytime I park my bike somewhere, I get the key. Cannot believe sitting almost 2 hours near swan street richmond (not a 'back street', a main used side road) and no one either noticed the key or didn't let temptation take over. I thanked my lucky stars that day I tell you.