Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Telstra Bigpond issues..

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Removed_User_5, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Hey all,
    I just moved house from Kew to Blackburn. I have Bigpond cable and have had it for 12 months.
    When I was about to move I called Telstra to check if cable was available at the home I was looking at, which they said YES it is.

So now I applied to my agent to get permission to get cable installed at my own expence, they said to go ahead and get it installed.
    So now I call up Bigpond Telstra to organise a suitable time to have it installed and they tell me CABLE isnt available in that street.

WTF, you told me last week it was and now you change your mind.
    My contract runs out in July 2007 and I am liable for the payments until the end of the contract.
    I hope the call was recorded as there was some choice words used that would beneifit training and putting off new employees.

They said I might be able to switch to ADSL but will need to connect a phone line and get a number just to find out if its possible to do ADSL.

What a lot of WANK.
    So I need internet as Lil is doing her uni course via correspondance and we REALLY need it.
    Anybody got any ideas on where i stand in cancelling the account without paying cos they screwed up. The girl said "the person who told you it was available made a mistake" so now I have to pay for my $60 bigpond account for another 12 months without any internet......

Please help if you can.......anybody.

2.  Top
  3. I would...

Ring Telstra, and tell them the story (again. Nicely.). Ask if it's possible to cancel your old cable account, and pick up a new ADSL account.

If they piss you around, do 2 things:

1. Send them a written complaint, and

2. Write to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

The letter to Telstra should mention that you've contacted the Ombudsman.

Good luck!

4. Ask if you can talk to a supervisor when you ring, or at least suggest the problem be elcalated since you didn't get a satisfactory answer the first time.
    Mention hoow you would rather not have to take this up with the TIO (as mentioned above) - that usually gets them off their arse.

And if you go with ASDL FFS don't walk, RUN, as fast as you can from Telsra. Go find a real ISP - internode, Westnet, iiNet, or even Netspace seem to be okay choices at the moment.

5. From the initial post, I take it that there is no fixed land line and there is no intention of getting one. (wise move) mobiles are far cheaper to run.

Everytime I communicate with Telstra, I ask for any conversation to be put in writting for my "insurance" as they "made a mistake" last year.

I asked for the payout figure of a mobile contract that had 2 months to run, was told $120 then was sent a bill for $900 that was eventually dropped to $220. After I lodged a complaint to the TIO the bill was reduced to $111.
    There was no record of the recorded conversation for them to refer to. :roll:

Persist with it, you will win in the end.

Good luck.

6. From the telstra site
    According to this you are up for a $180 cancellation fee

I would agree with avoiding Telstra.

It might be an option to call Optus about their cable offering, a friend of mine was knocked back by Telsta but Optus were more than happy to provide a cable service for him.

If you are forced to go with ADSL, telstra have a $18 p/m fixed line plan, the call rates are high so you could combine the phone service with VoIP if you would use a fixed line a lot.

7. When/If you start looking for an ADSL plan this below webpage will come in handy
    http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm

Also check out the major providers to see if they are offering ADSL2+ in your area as you'll get more bang for your buck.

8. Thanks guys,
    Im going to complain, just didnt want to give some nice girl a hounding for somebody elses mistake.
    I will call tomorrow when I get all my bill info infront of me and speak to somebody in authority.

They have made so many mistakes with my account to start with and Im NOT going to let them get away with this.

They told me I was on a 12 month contract and now I find out its 24 months. Apparentley its in my contract , but my contract was sold to me over the phone and I WAS TOLD 12 month contract. These guys screw up alot.
    Looks like tomorrow is going to be a day of venting to gerbils on the phone.
    Thansk

9. I have had HUGE problems in the past with bigpong Stookie. Much too long a story to go into. If you don't get the answers or resolutions you want, go straight to the telecommunications ombudsman http://www.tio.com.au.

They are complete w@nks, and you get a different answer from each different person and department you deal with. No doubt they will tell you its a billing issue, then billing will tell you it is an internet technical issue and then they will just tell you you are plain wrong.

The Ombudsman will tell you what your rights are and don't settle for anything less. Even once the Ombudsman gets involved Telstra will still try say you are in the wrong.

Stick to your guns!

PS: Plan on at least 2 to 3 hours on the phone :evil:

10. When we first got internet access (back in 1996) we were with Bigpond dialup. The service was very unreliable.

Ultimately we switched to Optus cable internet, and we've been very happy with the service.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Bigpond...

11. all contracts which have taken place over the phone would of been recorded, so you should request to listen to the recording to see if it was 12 or 24 months.

and as everyone else has said.. ask to speak to there TL - as they have more experience, and if they cant help you- then ask to speak to there supervisor

hope this helps