Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tell me about the TRX850

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Bluey, Jun 16, 2006.

1. And my quest for a bike continues. I've been looking at Yamaha TRX850's, but I havn't been able to find much info on them apart from one review at motorcycle online, which I thought was fairly positive.
    Anyway I was wondering if anyone here can help with their impressions/experiences with them?
    What's insurance like for 'em?

What's prompted this is that I've spied one for sale quite close to me, low KM, aftermarket pipe, and ventura rack. I'm very tempted, hopefully I can get a look at it soon.

2. My dad had one a few years ago, really hard seat. The best thing about them is the sound, soooo good with a set of pipes.
    If ridden well they are pretty quick but they dont have alot of hp, so depends on what kind of riding you want to do.
  3. Trixies are a great bike. My mate has one and swears he'll never get rid of it. If you have a look around at the ones for sale you'll see that most have a fair number of km's as most owners love riding them.

The engine is quite grunty through the range, they're comfortable as without being too pedestrian, and will go forever if maintained properly. Although pretty simple in construction, they also handle well for the basic design. They also sound like a big vtwin with loud pipes due to the crank design.

The motor is understressed and doesn't put out earthshattering power (75-80hp from memory) but unlike some peakier bikes, it's all ueable. A great bike I reckon, and a bargain on the 2nd-hand market.

Oh, and did I mnetion they won Two Wheels bike of the year in 1996...
  4. Universally well liked bike that has survived as a reasonably unique configuration.

About to be shat all over by the new Beemer 800cc twin, though.

Still, they do sound fantastic and seem to go pretty well, test it out and tell us what you think!

Oh, and I did a 1200km weekend with a bloke on a TRX last year and he didn't seem to be walking too much like John Wayne at the end of it, so they must be reasonably comfy.
  5. Once nicknamed the 'Japcati' a really competent little bike with plenty of low and mid-range power, if not screamingly fast. Handles and sounds like a Ducati, hence the nickname. The chassis is first class, I had a go on a TRX built for SOS (Sound of Singles) racing that had been re-engined with a Rotax (BMW) 650 motor, and it handled like a dream.
  6. I have one that rides past in the mornings while i'm walking to work from the train station. They sound freakin awesome!!:twisted:
  7. Just be wary of the fact that some of the TRX's for sale are grey imports - usually pretty easy to spot though since most imports have black engines, locally delivered bikes have silver ones.
  8. I saw a later model gray import for sale last year and it had Brembo brakes.
    I find it ironic that the TRX didn't sell all that well when it first came out but now is classed as a cult bike.
    I remember a review by Two wheel on the trixxy and the main problem was poor suspension, which was easly fixed.
    One thing for certain is that they hold there value, something to do with the cult status thing. :grin:
  9. Well I took one for a test ride tonight.
    :grin: :grin: :grin:

I loved it! :grin: :grin: :grin:

As for the specifics of the bike, it's got a loud pipe on it, k&n air filter, just under 20,000Km. I think I'll be jumping on it.

Damn it. I can't wipe the grin off my face.

EDIT: forgot to mention, silver engine on it too. No dodgy grey import for me!
  10. nice one :grin:
    I came so close to buying one of these bikes a few weeks ago - think i test rode three of them but in the end couldn't afford the asking price for the one i wanted. I don't reckon you'll be disappointed - i know what you mean about the grin factor