Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tell em they're dreaming?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jphanna, May 10, 2013.

1. #1 jphanna, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    i regularly check adverts for motorbikes (especially Lams) and i am finding some interesting adds that keep popping up over a period of time.

1. the amount of people selling, what was a brand new mbike, with less than 1000kms on the clock.

2. the same reasons being used to sell the above mentioned low km bike. bought for girlfriend who doesnt ride, or ready to upgrade.

3. the same bike being sold for 99% of full new retail price!!!

i got a question, how are you ready to upgrade after 700kms???

you just dont see new cars sold with 700kms on the clock, but its not unusual to do this in the mbike world.

is it a case of

1. impulse buying
    2. rode it once and got scared
    3. bought it to 'impress a chick'
    4. its a total POS and should have done research on it

any thoughts?

2. Offer what you think it's worth, in my opinion once you ride it out of the dealership you've just lost 20-25% of its value no matter little KM's you put on it.

It's a good way to make a few dollars if your willing to sit on the loss for a few months while you re-sell it.

3. Yeah I've seen those ads too ... and they sound so tempting but I've always been wary that if you did make contact the seller would say "nah mate, that ones gorn but I have another really great bike .. bit more Ks and only dropped once ..."
    The ones that I wonder at are the 5+year old bike with less than 10,000Ks ... I wonder how they manage that ... I suppose I will find out when I retire :D

4. There are so many of these its weird to think they havnt been ridden . . I'm looking for a bike atm and have found quite a few 07's with less than 10,000k's I'm wondering if it was a lemon year :wtf:

5. Mine was supposedly only ridden in the summer months.

1999 model bought in May 2006 with 11,500kms of use. Not even run in. Seven years later it's up to a more respectful 152,000kms.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Actually 08/09 was a lemon year with all the failed R/R and stators

7. You need to stop searching Hyosung,problem solved

8. People buy what they think looks best, will make them look best and did well in the magazine tests.
    They take them for fifteen minute test rides and think it's the best thing ever.

Reality #1. The bike is too much for them. His mates have been constantly riding. So while they are having fun, he is out of his element..... and it's all the bikes fault.
    He's out of riding condition and doesn't realize riding is uncomfortable after a while until your conditioned to it.
    Or he has no mates that ride and he gets bored riding by himself within six months.

I use to love watching peoples faces when they were told the value on a trade or god forbid even worse a cash deal on their not so old..... worth 60% of it's purchase price bike. They go off ranting and raving..

Just remember everything above the base price is washed as soon as the new bike is signed into your name. Rego, dealer delivery, stamp duty and accessories are your costs and nothing to do with the value of a 2nd hand bike.
    If I'm buying for the shop floor accessories are a negative to the value of the bike, not a bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  9. This topic reminds me of the Chinese Ducati "Megelli" on the market selling for around $4000.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I just bought a TRX from a bloke who bought it in 2005 at 60,000 km's and it now has 85,000km's on it. So only 25,000km's in 8 years but hey, that's just how some people approach their motorcycling. He preferred not to ride in the rain and only used it occasionally. I got it last Wednesday and by next Thursday I'll have put nearly another 1,000km's on it...Oh and if you think you'll ride less when you retire....Yeah well, just wait and see...

Kobo :cool:

11. It is very very common, especially with the big sportbikes. Can only be a good thing for picking up one second hand, most seem to be going for a decent price, they are essentially in brand new condition after all.

I think the main reasons are;

1. it scared the crap out of me
    2. the wife/gf/parents whatever want me to stop riding (lams bikes mostly)
    3. i am a dumb westy and thought it would look sick so i got it on finance and i cant afford it
    4.i lost my license

I look forward to taking a nice daytona r off someone from the above categories with low milage and probably the stock tires still not scrubbed in.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Actually I never thought of that, my bike was 13 years old when I bought it and only 23k on the clock. The guy I bought it off had done less than 2k in the few years he had it judging by the service history (and sold it to upgrade, dunno if I'd bother if I did that few kms myself). I'll probably have done more than 23k myself by the time my restrictions are over, but hopefully it won't affect the sale price too much!

13. My current bike is like this. I bought the first one. Put 12000kms on it the first 3.5 months...wrote it off. In the 7 weeks it took to get my replacement bike my life changed drastically (so I dont have free weekends or afternoons to ride generally anymore) plus I was more injured than I realised which throws out my balance on the bike and gives me headaches for a couple of weeks afterwards. As such the current one has drastically less kilometres in a year than the first one had in a few months. So if I sold it, it would look similar to these bikes but I stubborn and want to keep it as I want to ride regularly again whenever I get the chance.

14. i think that for some....there is that 'image' that they are seeking and they buy a mbike, get a fright, and never ride again.

thats fine, but to try and flog the bike, even if its got 500kms on it, at full retail is an insult to me.

my son and i did the rounds on saturday, and the mbike shops are about 4kms apart on south road. honda....yamaha.....kawaski. the same guys we saw at honda we saw at the other dealerships 30 mins later.

15. It was funnier two years ago when the Ninja 250's were on sale at the dealers and the second hand ones were for sale $1000-2000 more than the new ones.

16. i used to ride everywhere, Now with kids and running a small second hand business I drive, Cant pickup both kids on the bike, cant pickup gear for work on the bike. So instead of the bike being my bmain transport I have to use the car, and you get used to just hopping in a tin box and not worrying about helmet and rain. Main difference is people get upset when I park the car on the footpath.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Another demographic to add to Unconnected's

I got one of these. Older (72) lifelong rider, only was using the bike on the very rare, fine sunny weekend, and to ride down to Phillip Island with his son. at 10K, it was an odd fitout - inc. panniers and rack, grip heaters, but no radiator screen. (WTF?) It's a big bike. (1250 Bandit). He was getting out rather than downsizing.

This is a typical buy of the time. Bike with a few years, but low kays. If they are not status symbol bikes, there is some god buying out there.

No reason to think that the deal is sus, where it fits into one of the classic sell reasons. The year 2007 within a couple of years coincides with the start of the peak of the baby boomers taking early retirement at 55. A few years has gone by and many are now realising that they are not living the dream they had imagined and are now ditching some of the toys they bought first up that they haven't been using as much as anticipated.

It is worth considering with such purchases that while the service intervals done to kays and not time, there may be issues related to how old the oil and grease is, not how far it has travelled, the effect of long held contaminants, if they are present. They are not new bikes and would benefit from a bit of extra attention early on.

18. #18 Wil02, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    700kms wouldn't even be run in. But people do buy bikes differently to the way they buy cars.

I buy a car because we need it to move the family around, I buy a bike for my own enjoyment.

Not all people are like this, some buy it as a cheap mode of transport, those people are almost certainly going to rack up the ks quicker.

My GS500 is 5 months old, done 3500 ks and I want to sell it and get a new CB500. Sure thats a bit different from 700 ks, a lot different, but even to my thinking I haven't had it very long and have done a lot less Ks than other riders I know.

For me a few factors enter into the equation.
    1) I saw the anouncement for the CB500s just after I bought the GS500.

2) If you are a seasoned bike rider, you probably have a better feel for what you want. I hadn't ridden for quite a long time and was starting from scratch.

3) I went through a clutch in about 2000 ks, only thing I can think of to cause that is the high amount of MOST practice I did. But all LAMS bike have to do this to varying degrees and they don't fail so soon. The guys at HART reckon they hardly ever change clutches on their bikes that people ride at learners & Ps tests etc. So that was a factor that coloured my perception of my bike and increased the desire just to get a newer, modern bike rather than one that had been in production for over 30 years.

So to answer your question, maybe option 4.

Although read around you'll see plenty of comments and threads about how good the GS500 is as a beginners bike. This is the factor that helped me decide.

The factors for me were:

a) recommended by many as a good beginner bike

b) cheap as chips atm and they say you'll crash so why pay more than you have to.

c) naked. A fairing was just another thing to scratch.

d) bigger engine without any restrictions which I felt would help it in resale. Face it, you buy a restricted 650 and the market for that is most certainly limited to LAMS riders. Whereas people on full licence just wanting something to run around on may be willing to buy a smaller 250 or 500 cc bike.

e) I was worried that 250 would struggle more as I started to push it harder (i.e. due to weight ... about 100kgs).

So there are some of the reasons I bought a bike and now want to change it after a fairly short amount of time.

19. I think the main reasons are that it scared the crap out of them, the partner doesn't approve or they've over committed themselves on finance and can't afford it (this happens a lot more then some realise).

20. I have spoken to people who have a moment on their bike and all of a sudden their awesomeness and invincibility shatters completely. For example one guy I met described pulling wheelies having fun, and then encountering some water with his wheel cranked up at the sky. He didn't go down, but somehow had a moment, and he gave it up - confidence shattered and bike sold quick smart.