Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

TED: You are tying your shoes the wrong way.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cjvfr, Jul 17, 2013.

1. For those that haven't seen the web site TED it is a great way to while away some Internet time. Inspiring, funny, informative.

As a teaser, You are tying your shoes the wrong way.

An y other TED fans out there?

2. maybe a bit off topic, but another tip:

3. Some good stuff in the TED catalog. I have a TED app on the tablet - useful to while away some time.
  4. I have seen a few of them, but none have changed my life. I think they are emboldened with an American enthusiasm, which is a wonderful energy if you live in the USA, but across the internet, it does not translate geographically.

Australia is a bit sleepy-ville and TED sparkle does not light up in the same way as originally expressed.

Similarly if we were trying to export some some laid back dry humour to ... say Italy, i doubt if they would see it in the original form. Culture is a translator and the message changes or is lost when it moves to a different land.
  5. I've watched a couple of TED talks. The most interesting ones for me are, not surprisingly, those which end up being controversial, or "banned". For example, I loved Graham Hancock's "War on Conciousness":

Now while searching for Graham Hancock's talk, I've stumbled upon another controversial one: 'Rich People Don’t Create Jobs’ by Nick Hanauer. Will have to check that one out too. :joyful:
  6. #6 ParkerMax, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. That talk certainly revolutionised the way I tie my shoes when I first saw it.

There is some fascinating stuff on there.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Definitely worth the time - you could always download it, extract the audio and listen only...
  9. Apparently that one caused a bit of fuss 'cause the people behind TED didn't put it on the site, on the grounds that it was too flawed (as an argument) and didn't spark thought/discussion so much as reinforce perceptions/beliefs.

So if you do watch it, keep your analysis cap on, don't swallow it whole, and, ideally, read up on whatever stuff he's basing it on.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Disappearing frogs - Kerry M. Kriger.
  11. This was the first TED I saw. Probably one that most have already seen too but for those who haven't it's worth investing 3 minutes