Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

TechSpec Tank Grips

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Bamm-Bamm, Dec 24, 2008.

1. I have just bought and fitted a couple of sets of TechSpec tank grips so I thought I would post a brief review of them.

Initially I was going to purchase the Stomp Grips but after reading a few reviews about how aggressive they are and how they can accelerate wear of leather...I thought I would try something else.

I found TechSpec after googling for tank grips and noticed that they had an Australian distributor... website located here

The first set I purchased was for my Superduke, there was no pre-made kit for my bike so I ordered a universal snakeskin kit that came with enough material to do both sides of the tank, it also came with a centre tank protector.

With a universal kit you need to do the following:

1) Make a template and then cut the material to size, while the material is pretty thick it cuts easily with a stanley knife.

2) Put a 45 degree chamfer on the outside edges of the grips(this makes them easier to stick down and makes sure your clothes don't catch on the edges...you can do this using a bench grinder...but watch your fingers!

3) Wipe your tank down with prepsol/wax & grease remover to make sure there is a clean surface to stick the pads to.

4) Heat the pads up with a heatgun/hair dryer, line them up where you want them and stick them down

5) Leave them for 24 hours for the glue to set

I have had them on the bike now for a couple of weeks and give them a big thumbs up, they really do help when hanging off but they don't get in the way durig normal commuting/riding

The second set was for Shambles' 07 GSXR-600, this kit came pre-cut so it was simple to install, just clean the tank and stick em down!

I haven't ridden the GSXR since fitting them but knowing how they work on my bike I'm sure they will be fine!

So all up great product, easy to fit and excellent service from Mark at TechSpec