Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Technique for starting bikes?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Faramir, Jul 1, 2007.

1. On winter mornings, or after I do not ride the bike for a week, I find it very hard to start my bike.

Last night I left the covers of my bike so that I could make a quick get away this morning. It didn't happen, my bike would not start. I guess the morning cold got into my bike.

I always put the choke on full and pump some petrol into the carby before I press the Start button. In summer, my bike is OK. In winter, I can hear my battery getting flatter and flatter with each attempt to start my bike.

Is this a sign that my battery needs to be replaced? Or am I hopeless at starting my bike?
  2. Choke on full before start? My zzr gets angry if I try to wake it that fast :grin:

I usually just hit the starter and ease choke on as needed.
  3. Pumping fuel into the carbs? By this do you mean twisting the throttle a few times, cos if it is your probably flooding the engine. I generally find choke out and no throttle when i first press the starter, followed by gradually rolling the throttle on a bit, but only a bit. At the moment though with this cold it still won't start straight away, and I have to keep it on the starter and wait until it sounds like its about to go then give it a bit of throttle.

Hope that helps a little.

4. i turn the choke almost full on, then turn the throttle just a slight bit. I start the bike and use the throttle to keep it at about 2000 rpm for a sec until the choke takes over. I don't know if that's the right way but its working for me.
  5. +1, mine tends to cough and splutter followed by stalling if i roll of the throttle straight away in the cold
  6. No throttle...but full choke works for me.
  7. Generalised starting method for most vehicles:
    Full Choke
    Twist throttle about 5mm and hold, ie very little amount
    Press starter and the bike should start.
    Hold revs with throttle until choke can handle on its own.
    After running with choke on, ease the choke off, using the throttle to keep it above idle.
    When choke is fully off and bike is running smooth, put on gear.
    Ride away, taking it really easy for the first 5-10 mins so the engine can warm up properly.
  8. Get a new battery. Get a "sealed" one. they crank harder and don't mind being left a week.

As to technique, every bike is different. The no choke then wind on works well on a lot of bikes. I wouldn't be pumping the throttle if you were having trouble starting. I think that is a left over from the kick-start days.
  9. Turn key to "ON"
    Hit starter button
    Release starter button when engine fires (which is 1 second after hitting the button)
    Will start instantly in any weather

I love fuel infection!
  10. First, I wait for the fuel pump to stop making sounds, full choke and then start. Let it sort itself out for a few seconds (If I touch the throttle during this period, it will stall) when it can maintain high revs after 10-15 seconds, turn off the choke and let it idle a bit. I used to have big problems starting the bike and would result in a flat battery and having to roll start it but now I've got a nack for it. I suspect every bike will have its own little temperaments.
  11. Thanks for the input. I will replace the battery at my next service. As for the technique. I guess I better keep trying various ways until I find the "right" way for my bike. I admit that I am probably twisting the throttle too much as first.
  12. 1. Turn key to "on"
    2. Wait for fuel injection to do it's stuff and turn the light on.
    3. Shout "Make rocket go now!"
    4. Press starter button. :)
  13. tickle carburettor/s, lightly twist throttle

swing kickstarter once (twice if cold morning)

engage first gear and ride away
  14. pumping the throttle will do absolutley nothing. no engine, no vacuum. full choke is the standard procedure, but i tend to find about 3/4 works best on the vtr. as long as you have a hill you can always start her.

full choke
    2nd gear
    start rolling hit 20 kays or so
    feather clutch

15. Mine has an auto choke/fuel injection, so dont have to worry! Basically same as Seany said.

Old bike was a carb bike, and I'd use a little choke, fire her up, give a bit of a twist and let her chug away.....