Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tassie road trip. Epic fail.

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Benny Boy, Apr 26, 2011.

  1. I mentioned in my intro thread I have been looking over the forums for advice on touring for a while. Now I can share how the advice helped me and what else I learnt.

    It's been almost 4 months since I did the trip.

    So here it goes. Most people talk about how great a road trip is. Well here is one that failed in an epic way.

    Why go?
    I'm a youth leader and the opportunity was presented to go to a youth camp in Tassie as a leader. Not that you need a reason to go to Tassie, but this helped motivate me.
    Not many people understood why I choose to bike it to Tasmania over flying there, as flying was cheaper. All I could say was that getting there was not the point.

    I had the idea for two years but started saving up and preparing in April 2010.
    I wanted to camp for most of the trip, but it was hard to find info on camping with a motorbike. My bike was a Boulevard M50, a smallish bike for long distance touring.

    Bike Mods:
    • Adjust suspension to handle better in corners.
    • 12v power supply fitted for phone etc.
    • Seat modded for comfort.
    • GPS power supply installed

    • Three man tent (will be a two man tent next time for size reasons.)
    • 0 degree goose down sleeping bag, silk liner and full pillow. Comfy and warm, even if they’re damp. I kept pillow in stuff sack to reduce pack size.
    • Black Wolf Deluxe self inflating mat. (cannot express how comfy this is)
    • Hiker cooking stove with British army style pans. Good size and light weight.
    • Freasy over boots. I opted to take leather steel cap boots and the Freasy’s kept them dry while riding. They also pack down flat.
    • Camel back style water bladders. These fit into funny shaped spaces better than bottles. Just make sure you get good quality to avoid leaks and chemical taste.
    • Toilet paper
    • First Aid Kit. Include lip screen for wind cracked lips.
    • GPS, 12v phone charger, GO TAG, Headlamp.
    • Tool kit, Puncture repair kit and gaffer tape and Leatherman.
    • Note book with emergency contacts, accommodation contacts, insurance, RACQ etc.
    • Leg warmers from cycle shop. They look like stockings, but you wear them under jeans so no one will know. More user friendly at toilet stops than thermal bottoms
    • Olympus Tough Camera. This will be explained later.
    • Earplugs. Because wind roar kills your ears.
    • Kick stand plate for soft dirt.

    These are a few of the items I found made the trip easier. I took lot of other gear, but I don’t need to tell you to take socks and undies etc.

    Because I’ve never done anything like this I decided to do test camp 21/12/2010 at the Bunya Mountains to make sure I had everything. Rains had already drenched most of SE QLD

    27/12/2010 Ipswich to Oxley Wild Rivers.

    I was pouring down this morning. I could see that if I could get into NSW I could have a chance at getting away from the weather. I checked the road report and none were closed yet.
    I headed towards Warwick via the Cunningham Highway. Creeks and drains were full but hadn’t crossed the road yet.
    Cunningham’s Gap was a mess. This road was already suffering from land slides. Parts of the road had slipped away, cliffs beside the road had slipped onto other sections of the road covering these parts with silt making the road slick.

    In hindsight I should have taken this as a sign.

    I continued to Warwick and started to see creeks and drains that were now crossing the road. One crossing in particular had carried a fair amount large gravel chunks onto the road making the road like a mine field. Thankfully I could see them and I managed to avoid the big chunks.

    I guessed that I just passed Clintonville where I encountered backed up traffic. I could see ahead that the road was covered in water. I saw a couple of bike riders at the start of the line turn around and head back to where I had just been. They were shaking their heads and indicating the road was not crossable. I realised that my road trip had hit its first major barrier.

    I needed to back track and find an alternate route. Mt Lindsay highway would be too twisty in this weather, so I decided to head to the coast and take the Pacific Motorway. I was so annoyed at the situation, and I was riding aggressively to make up for wasted time that I neglected to navigate around a series of potholes in the road. This wasn’t a huge issue until I got to the other end and realised I was positioned to head into a monster pothole. Later using my bike as reference and a tape measure I think the hole was at least a meter long and just as wide.

    I have limited experience with off road riding but I managed to hold the M50 as I went through the hole. I wondering if the denser oil I put in the front forks helped absorb most of the impact. I got though it and everything seemed OK. It wasn’t until I got to the servo near Cunningham’s gap that I realised I had lost a saddle bag with all my camping gear and my tent in a blue dry sack.

    The servo operators let me leave the rest of my gear behind the counter as I back tracked to try and find my gear. Buy this point roads were now covered with water. The crossing with the gravel was now fully under water which made the crossing very dangerous. I kept my feet down incase I lost balance by hitting a big rock. Even the Freasy’s couldn’t keep me dry in this situation. But at least I was warm.

    I searched for my gear, but it was obvious that it had been washed away or picked up.
    I left my details at the nearby driver reviver hoping that someone might be honest enough to hand in my gear. While there I met some drivers who had seen me go through the pothole and wondered how I hadn’t come off.
    I also heard rumors that the Gap was about to be closed off. I headed back to the servo very quickly to pick up my gear. I had a quick chat about road conditions with some truckies who had just come though the Gap. I decided to risk it and head back home as there was no way I wanted to be trapped here with rising waters.

    I navigated the debris on the Gap road again. I think it was around Warrill View where I encountered another line of traffic backed up in front of another flooded creek. Police were there already getting there barriers ready to stop traffic. Thankfully traffic was still moving slowly through the creek. I watched a few cars go though first to see how deep it was and if there were any hidden rocks or potholes.
    I pulled into line and headed for the water. I followed where the tires of the 4WD in front of me had been. Thankfully I didn’t encounter any obstacles, but I could feel the current pushing me to one side. I was in second gear keeping the revs high as I lent a little into the oncoming water as I crossed the creek. The water was up to my ankles as I rested my feet on the pegs, but I managed to get though, and back home to Ipswich.

    Not finished yet. Got to go to work so I’ll finish the rest later.
  2. WOAH! awesome bad arse! crazy epic tale - more!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Yeah i agree where is the rest of the story!
  4. It turns into a more traditional trip from here, for a little while anyway.

    So the first thing was to take stock of what I had left and go out and buy replacements for the gear I’d lost. Thankfully the shops were open. The biggest issue was how to carry the extra gear. All the bike shops in the area and Brisbane were closed and most wouldn’t reopen until the New Year. Getting another saddle seemed impossible.

    Flying seemed like the only option now. But I didn’t want to admit defeat because I didn’t have a bag.
    I didn’t have a sissy bar as this was too expensive at the time. I needed a bag that could attach without the assistance of a sissy bar

    I remembered that Anaconda sold a waterproof duffle bag. They would open the next day, so all I could do was hang out my wet gear and try and get some sleep.

    28/12/2010 Ipswich to anywhere in NSW hopefully.

    The shops opened late due to holiday trading hours.
    I managed to get the duffle bag and a set of ratchet straps to anchor it to the saddlebag brackets. I still used Andy Strapz for the smaller stuff, but I now always use ratchet straps for the main load.

    The weather this morning was much better than the previous day. But it was still heavily overcast with lots of isolated showers.

    I was away from Ipswich by 12:30pm. As I planned the previous day, I headed to the Pacific Highway. The plan was to make it to Frazer Beach camp ground in Munmorah conservation area where I had a sight booked for the night.
    This was 9 hours of constant riding. it would be impossible to reach it in time but i had to try.

    I almost ran out of fuel once as I forgot to reset my watch to daylight saving. I arrived at a servo in Ulmarra to find that it was closed for the day. Thankfully Grafton wasn’t too far away and I fuelled up there. The rain came and went throughout most of the day, but I managed to stay dry as the Freasy’s were able to do their job better when they weren’t submerged in an overflowing creek. I was paranoid for most of the day that more gear would fall off, so I was constantly checking. It was 9:30pm by the time I stopped in Kempsey. All hotels and motels were booked out, but I found a caravan park where I camped the night for twenty bucks. I found out from a few other travelers that the New England Highway had multiple road closures because of floods. Many travelers were taking the Pacific Highway.

    29/12/2010 Kempsey to Lithgow.

    I saw sun this morning, the first time in over a week. I continued south towards Munmorah. I made a detour through Foster that took me around Myall Lake. This area looked like pictures of Canada except with smaller mountains and eucalypts instead of pine. This was the first great bike road I discovered that was not in the motorcycle atlas. Like all great roads it had to be spoiled by some couple doing 60kmph in an 80-kmph zone with no overtaking lanes and traffic constantly coming the other way.

    Finally arrived at Frazer beach. A young Asian couple thought I was there to take there spot, but I mentioned I was only there to see where I should have camped the night before. Nice place if you can get it, but it books out quickly and there’s a lot of people there during the day.

    I headed west to Wisemans Ferry road. Another great road not in the motorcycle atlas. Caught Wisemans Ferry and the Sackville Ferry just to try something different. I then headed out onto Bells Line of Road. This is the best road I’ve been on so far. The weather, views and traffic were perfect. I even found the best pie shop. Ill have to go back one day so I can tell you its name. For the first time i was enjoying the trip.

    I was meant to camp tonight, but my gear was still wet from two days ago, so I found a motel in Lithgow where I could dry everything out and give the bike a clean.

    30/12/2010 Lithgow to Wee Jasper

    Headed to Bathurst and rode the track. Searched the local bike shops for a saddlebag, but it would need to be ordered in, so I said not to worry about it. I headed south to the Abercrombie caves via Blayney. Another good road, free from traffic with long sweeping bends. The caves had some nice campgrounds and were a great place to stop and cool down. I continued south where I encountered gravel, cows, sheep and the police conducting breath tests in Crookwell. I stopped in Yass for coffee, coke and pie before heading to Wee Jasper. This road was up there as one of the best I did on the trip. There was some gravel but it wasn’t any trouble.

    The Billy Grace reserve was crowded, but I found a nice spot near the creek to set up camp. Two months earlier this place was under two meters of water.

    The people there seemed to stare for a while at the lone bike rider, but they soon started talking and I was eventually invited to a card game.

    While there I got a call from one of the operators at the driver reviver on the Cunningham Highway saying that my saddlebag had been found and handed in.

    31/12/2010 Wee Jasper to Jingellic

    Wanted to hang around and see the wild caves in the area but I couldn’t find enough info on their location so I left for Tumut. I planned to take the more direct gravel road. The road looked rougher than any of the gravel roads I rode the pervious day. It gave me the chance to do the road again back to Yass. I took the Hume highway to Gundagai and then to Tumut. I stopped in an air-conditioned cafe for pie, coke and coffee as the heat was knocking me around. My black leathers were not the right clothing choice for a day like today. I met a few riders on V-stroms and BMWs who were part of larger group that were heading to Wee Jasper for the New Years Eve celebrations and cricket. I headed south along the Snowy Mtns Highway to Kiandra.

    Along the way I stopped at the Yarrangobilly caves to have a look as well as to cool off again. In the middle of summer, a cave can be as good as walking into a fridge. The area around Kiandra was spectacular in its sparseness. There little to be scene except for grasses and bushes, but you could see where the road went, and this made for some great riding. The landscape changed to be filled full of dead bleached gums. It looked like something out of a Tim Burton film. I back tracked to Kiandra and headed towards Cabramurra.
    I got to visit the out of season snow fields and the Snowy mountain hydro scheme. Wivenhoe looks longer but the sheer height of Snowy Mtns dam was impressive. I wish I could have taken more time to enjoy the road, but I was now pushed for time as I headed towards Corryong for my final fuel stop for the day. This road was twisty and took more time to complete than I expected. Hundreds of butterflies decided to splatter themselves over me and my bike.

    When I got to Corryong I found all the servos had closed. I used my GPS to get phone numbers of nearby servos, but they all closed early for New Years Eve celebrations.

    I had planned to spend news years in Jingellic on the banks of the Murray next to a pub. I ended up spending it camping in another caravan park. At least there was party with food and bad karaoke.

    01/01/2011 Cooryong to Nug Nug Reserve

    I packed up early so I could fuel up and leave the moment the servo opened at 10am. I followed the Murray River road all the way to Albury before heading south to Mt Beauty. I wanted to head south to Omeo but the guy at the info counter said I’d be pushing for time if was planning to be at Nug Nug that evening. I tried anyway and found the road to be very twisty and taking up more time than expected. Hopefull i could ride the entire road on my return trip home.

    I headed back to Mt Beauty and crossed over to Bright. I thought I’d check out Mt buffalo since It was close by to see the view as well as see if there were any cancelled camping areas. The road was a great ride, and like any great ride there were cars getting in my way.

    Finding a cancelled camp site was futile so I continued to Nug Nug Reserve. It only cost me $3 for the night and had Mt Buffalo towering over the area.

    02/01/2011 Nug Nug Reserve to Bendigo

    I had planned a spare day into my trip incase I got a flat tire or needed repairs. Since I didn’t need to be in Halls Gap until 03/01, I decided to go to Bendigo and spend half the day being a tourist. I booked a cabin in a caravan park, dumped my gear and went and explored the cities gold mines and other tourist traps.

    03/01/2011 Bendigo to Halls Gap.

    I headed south to Ballarat and then across to Ararat where locusts decided to commit suicide en masse upon my body and my bike. Only difference compared to butterflies is that locusts en masse really hurt.
    I met an emu and her chicks as they crossed the road on my way into Halls Gap.

    I wasn’t going to leave until 05/01. This would give me a chance to hike around the Grampians and wash my clothes. I had worn the same shirt and jeans for 8 days and they were staring to take on a life of their own thanks to all the bug guts. I did some of the smaller walks that afternoon along with some riding of the local road, but I reserved all of 04/01 to do the Wonderland loop plus a few additional lookouts.

    05/01/2011 Halls Gaps to Peterborough.

    Today was to be an easy ride to Peterborough. From there I was going to ride down the Great Ocean Road where I would meet up with everyone else on the youth camp at station pier and take the Spirit of Tasmania across the strait.

    I packed up and took a photos of a very curious emu that had wandered very close to where I was staying. The caravan park operator said the emus lived in the park and would come up to people expecting food. I left Halls Gap at around 8:45am.

    (I have already written a thread involving the following story but this is the full version)

    I was about 35km north of Dunkeld when I saw an emu on the right side of the road.

    I started slowing down as it looked as if he might run onto the road. It was then that I saw his friend come from the tree line on the left side of the road and run onto the road. I continued to slow down and it looked as if the emu would run back off the road I would be able to swerve around it. As I swerved the emu turned again and ran right in front of me. My last thought was a mate of mine in hospital with broken neck after a bike crash as I simply uttered “Oh No.”

    I believe I was doing about 70 – 80km when I came off the bike. I must have slid for about 20 – 30 meters before I stopped in the middle of the road. I had slid on my stomach for most of the time but flipped onto my back and then back onto my front again. I now know what people mean when they say everything happens in slow mo and you have a feeling of peace when you’re falling and sliding. I felt no pain at first but was careful when I got up to test all my limbs out. My right shoulder and wrist were a bit sore but I thought I had come out of it very well.

    Seems like an epic yet abrupt way to finish a road trip.

    Thankfully I was wearing my leather jacket and hornees jeans at the time as well as a back protector. My boot were shredded but the steele cap had save my toes. My olympus tough camera was in my chest pocket. Somehow it avoided cracking my ribs when i hit the ground. Considering the impact it took and how long I spent sliding on the bitumen i am very impressed that it still works perfectly. So i still don't know why i didn't take any photos of the crash scene. I blame shock.

    I looked about for my gear and saw that most of it was still attached to the bike, but was shredded by the bitumen as the bike had come down on its side and tilted up so it was sliding on the left saddlebag, fuel tank and handlebars. I managed to pick up the 274 kg bike plus pack and wheel it off the road as I set about looking for my GPS and any other gear. I realised that there was a large pile of feathers in the middle of the road, but no body. How did that bastard bird get away?

    I eventually found my GPS (zumo 550) and it was still working despite the cradle being destroyed. The GPS only needed the water proof caps replaced. This only cost $35.

    I found the GPS near the emu which looked like a mangled mess some
    15 – 20m away from the pile of feathers in a gutter on the right side of the road.

    There was no phone reception. I managed to wave down a car who offered to help. I tried to ride the bike to Dunkeld where I could call for assistance. The helpful drivers name was Darren who offered to carry my gear and followed close behind in case anything happened while I was on the bike.

    I managed to limp the bike to Dunkeld where I contacted the police and ambulance. The ambo said I was lucky to be alive as he had attended another bike crash involving an emu. The rider of this crash was killed when the emu went over the top of the bike and collected the rider.

    Spent the rest of the day in Hamilton hospital where they checked me out for spinal and internal damage, but they found nothing. My shoulders were hurting like crazy by this stage. I hate needles but they manged to inject me with an isotpoe for the cat scan, take a blood test and give me atenus shot for the few frictions burns i had received.

    I made it to Station Pier the next day. Some other youth leaders traveling from Adelaide had stopped overnight in Ballarat and offered to backtrack and pick me up. On the ship that night I was at the bar drinking, which if you’re a youth leader is big no no. But I think that given what I had been though, I was allowed to get away with it this once.

    I managed to involve my self as much as I could on the camp included abseiling, hiking/climbing cradle mountain and ice skating. I still managed to spend two days in Tassie on my own in a car, which was a far cry form the seven days on the bike that I had planned, but it was a great holiday away from the holiday. I flew back home to flood ravaged South East Queensland.

    I found out a week and a half later that I had a significant chip broken off the ball joint of my humerus in my right shoulder as well as a cracked ball joint in the left shoulder plus ligament and muscle damage in both shoulders. Knowing this made picking up the bike and hiking/climbing cradle mountain seem even more epic.
    Depending on the movement it still hurts now.

    I got my saddlbag back with all the gear still inside

    Suncorp insurance took about three months to pay out.

    I now have a boulevard M90 and am waiting to redo this trip without the floods and the emus.

    It’s a shame my tough little M50 had to die the way it did after getting me through some tough times.

    I miss this bike.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Its funny how the first BIG trip,anyway in my case as well,turns into War and Peace.Great write up,an Emu camacasided{sp} the ex president of the Laverda Club about 5 years ago as well,that wasn't pretty either
  6. Thank you Benny. That's a huge write up and a great read. Sorry it ended the way it did. Emus are a worry. I've managed to avoid the damn things but only just a couple of times. It's 'roos I've hit.

    On the bright side, you're now a much more experienced motorcyclist than you were.
  7. Wow what a write up, took some time up at work ;)
    My first big road trip also ended up in my one and only stack, must be a curse of the solo roadtrip
  8. Woah awesome adventure, well, up until the emu, then you became a man with balls of steel! Who knew you could do so much with so much damage! Raging through the pain.

    Thanks for sharing!
  9. I endured that swarm of locusts when I was doing a Melbourne to Adelaide ride along the great ocean rd about the same time you were on your trip and boy do they hurt in masse especially if you encounter them for 3 hours. I now hate locusts but I bet you hate emus even more. Was happy to read your lost saddlebag had been found and handed in for you to pick up. The experience gained from these trips all contribute towards making you a better rider.

    Good ride report.
  10. Awesome write up. Total props to you for your ballsy effort too. The trip on it's own was epic, but to go thru so much adversary and still get it done. legend.

    Not sure if you've ever played paint ball (awesome fun if you haven't) but hitting large swarms of bugs can feel a bit like you're in the middle of a paint ball fight. I haven't had the pleasure (ahem) of locusts, but, lots of dragon flies.
  11. From this you should learn to never, ever, ever swerve for an animal on the road, unless it is a large slow moving wombat. They are like rocks, best avoided and they won't run back under your wheel after you have swerved to avoid them.

    For kangaroos, Emus, cattle, and other large animals; Brake hard and come to a near stop, to pass slowly at a speed that is safe.

    For small animals; run them over or adjust your line to avoid them, but do not swerve.

    At least you have some stories to tell from the trip. :)
  12. Good advice. Roos and emus are very rarely alone, and it'll be one you don't see that gets you. Plus they often do this stupid "lead the predator away from the family" thing which just doesn't work with motor vehicles.
  13. absolutely, cracking road.
    Without a shadow of a doubt, the worst gravel road I've been on.

    again, absolutely. There's nothing you can do in the meantime so you just ride it out. It's exactly the same with getting it wrong in the surf - you can't fight your way to the top, just relax and wait till it lets go of you.

    That sucks mate, hope it works out next time.
  14. Ven you're paying $895 for a camp you vill have a good time dammit!

    I set out to have an experience and i can say mission accomplished.
    Amazing what your body can do to get you out of trouble.

    Adrenaline is gooooood.

    I've played paintball a few times. Always great fun when you're up against people who have never played before.
    I thought something was up when i saw nearly every car coming from the west with shade cloth over their gills and bonnets.

    I've heard a few different animal encounter stories. It can be hard to antipate what the animal might do and ride accordingly. In my Boom Chooks thread the girl didn't swerve for the emu, but she should have as the emu stopped in front of her. It's hard to anticipate what animals will do.

    I agree that slowly passing large animals is good advice. Apparantly cows think you are challeging them if you stop to let them cross.
    But stop for sheep, if one crosses they all do.

    As for stories, yeah i have a few, but i'll save them for the camp fire.

    I might have written a bit in places outside the home. I wrote it in word first so i could save the work in progress. I normally write while drinking beer or sipping a whisky or six. After a while i start writting gibberish. I would have posted the story sooner if it wasn't for this.

    There will be a next time.

    The experience i gained from this trip was immence. I don't think the trip would have been as memorable if there were no problems. Emus can stay at home next time. Guys at work have said my first tattoo should be an emu head looking out over a silhoutte of the Grampians.

    Something I never mentioned in my prep was that i spent over a year at the gym. Being fit is a must for solo stuff. A bike can't pick itself up.

    Next trip is to head back to the blue mountains around christmas/new years. I really want to do one of the half day or full day adventure caves at Jenolan. If there is time i might even continue to Tassie.

  15. The epic fail will be if you don’t listen to good advice... in the case of the Boom Chooks girl she should have used the above advice as well.... BRAKE HARD AND COME TO A NEAR STOP...

    That advice would have seen both of you not hit the animal...

    There is also this thing on your bike called a “horn” ... when I see birds (magpies, crows, Eagles etc) or other wildlife (roos, camels, horses etc) I toot the horn from a long way off to give them prior knowledge that im coming... it works nearly every time although I tooted 4 times before this one HUGE wedge tailed eagle finally few off his feed of roadkill roo... I felt the wind of his wings it was that close... most will fly off well before you get there if you toot... early mornings and evenings are a huge danger and night touring is just out for me... I value my life too much...

    I hope that doesn’t sound too harsh but I've never taken a back step on safety and if I can make you or anyone else think twice about their own safety then I’ll be happy... even if people crack the shits with me...

    Btw... leathers are for chumps as far as touring goes... I know.. I own a leather jacket... they are as hot as buggery on warmer days and cold as buggery on cooler days... i lost about 4 kilos of sweat riding across the Nullarbor solo (see links below) with most days hitting the high 30* or low 40*... I plan to get something like a dry rider that is warm on the cooler days and that you can unzip on the hotter days to get that air flow...

    Btw... where are all of your pictures?

    Thanks for taking the time to write up your story it was very enjoyable... the last time I was in Lithgow it was pissing rain like you wouldn’t believe... we rode from Bathurst to Lithgow on what seemed like an inch of water on the road crawling along at around 50 to 60 ks... my boots were full of water and the crutch on my wet weather rubbers had split.... if we ever get back up there there’s a small arms factory up there that they used in WWII that i’d like to see :)
  16. Thanks for reinforcing the message Firetiger.

    The thing is, you can't anticipate what an animal will do, so don't even try. If you follow the advice we have provided, you don't need to anticipate what an animal will do to avoid a collision, or a crash as a result of swerving to avoid one.
  17. Great Read... Glad you are ok, alive and kicking. I've been driven across Tassie 2 times and both times I've thought of re-doing it on a bike. I've recently bought a bike so maybe (maybe) will plan for a Cruise around Tassie on my cruiser sometime in the future.

    Enjoy your new M90. Great bike.
  18. As requested, some pics from the trip

    The old bridge at Gundagai

    Wee jasper.
    Billy Grace Reserve at Wee Jasper.

    View attachment 5579
    Campsite at Frazer Beach

    Attached Files:

  19. I could only attach three pics to the first email so here are three more.

    The look out at Cabramurra

    Mt buffalo.
    The Look out near the Chalet on Mt Buffalo.

    What bitumen does. You can also just see the headlight hanging down as well as the front tyre where there should me a mud guard covering it.
  20. thanks for the Pictures Benny... excellent!!! if you have any more i'd like to see them too!!

    btw... packing the bike... i found that its a lot easier to get one big duffle bag to put all of your stuff in...

    when i was going solo over the Nullarbor i was constantly adjusting gear on my bike...

    but when i went to Tasmania, i packed everything in one big bag... tent, pillow, matress, chair etc and never lost a thing... and once it was tied on for the day that was it until i camped up for the night...