Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tassie riding a must for all

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Coastal King, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Myself and 2 mates flew into Launceston summer before last and hired a Vstrom 650 and 2 Tiger 800XC's. All very new bikes from a local private operator there, top bloke, very easy going. Spent 5 days riding round tasmania, predominately coastal and had an absolute ball. Such good roads, very little traffic, windy, hilly and amazing scenery. I do quite a bit of work in Tasmania ( I'm from Vic) and so I asked a few of my tassie clients (motorcycle enthusiasts) to mark some must do roads on a map for me, and that's what we did. By no means covered it all in 5 days but after 2000 kms new we would have to come back. Accomodation wherever we went was cheap and always available. But the quality of the roads is the standout.

Recently bought a second hand 2013 Vstrom 650 with 10K on the clock. Previous owner put on heaps of extras and kept it immaculate. I added some Barrett Panniers, windscreen extension and wolfman dry bags. Bike came with mitas tyres which are just awesome.

I'm in Tas now about to come home.
    Bye for now
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Welcome to the forum, yes Tassie is a special place in the hearts of Australian motorcyclists. Well worth multiple visits.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. I've ridden there several times and I'm going back next March, it's probably my favorite motorbike destination (arguably even better than the snowy mountains because the roads are less crowded most places in Tassie). Highly recommend that any rider who hasn't been there try and do so :)
  4. Unsure where I knocked this off from, but it's a handy guide.

Doesn't help me find time to ride though!

Attached Files:

5. I couldn't agree with you more CK, I've been a few times and am super keen for the next trip :playful: Glad you had a great time (y)
  6. Thats a great guide. The opening paragraph says it all. Don't take these highways as they are straight and boring. All other roads are fantastic, even the real country farming roads have awesome bitumen and tight turns. Beware though of tractors and farm machinery coming out of paddocks as a lot of these roads are quiet and they just don't expect you.

My highlight - the journey out to gordon dam, this road has everything and mind blowing scenery. I could ridethis every weekend.

If any one wants me to list some roads not to miss if you plan on getting to Tassie I'm more than happy to do so.

Over and out.
  7. March is a good time to go, before the rain starts and while the roads are still dry. I'm planning another trip in Jan. What do you think of the boat ride?
  8. Living in tassie all my life, I consider myself to be blessed to be born into this paradise. Two things you should have when you live here, a motorcycle and a kayak. It is world class for both. Another thing, don't leave without taking the time to get off the bike for a while and see some of our scenery that only your legs can take you into to. We have walks that cater for every level of adventurer, from short walks of less than an hour to extreme multi-day trecks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I know that a lot of people hate the boat ride but I've always enjoyed it, both on the current ferries and on the previous one. But I've always enjoyed being on the water and I very seldom get sea sick even when the sea state is pretty high. For example I remember being on one of the smaller ferries across to the Isle of Mann when a bad squall came up, people were lying on benches, lying on the floor and throwing up, even some of the crew looked green. I wandered down to the buffet to get lunch (getting thrown off balance into the walls a few times as the ship moved around) only to find that they weren't serving dinner because 'it was too rough'. I was a bit pissed off (I hadn't eaten since breakfast and now they were denying me dinner), the guy looked very surprised when I asked if there was anything at all I could get (maybe a sandwich?). It was at that point I realized there was only 1 guy behind this long counter and the rest of the buffet was empty except for people slumped down looking ill.

So yeah seasickness isn't generally an issue for me. I normally have dinner in the buffet on the ferry then go hang out at the bar having a few quiet beers and either talk to some mates or watch TV until the bar closes then head off and have a sleep. Having said that for many people sea sickness is a huge problem and can make for a miserable trip.

Most trips I just get a recliner but I've used the rooms before (not a fan of top bunks because I'm a fat bugger), IMO they don't offer much extra other than a toilet to each room. They aren't even close to the rooms one gets on a cruise ship (even an older budget one like P&O) and they're very small. I'm not a fan of day sailings, it's ok for the first few hours but then it just becomes a long drag, better to go at night - have dinner, a couple of drinks then sleep the trip away :)
  10. This ^^, much prefer the night sailings then you are there and ready to ride the next morning with a day of fun stretched out before you. I prefer cabins though, can never get a good sleep in those recliners, they were fairly uncomfortable although both ships have had a refit recently so that may have changed.