Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tassie rider gets 6 months for speeding

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by techno, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. See the full story here:
    http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,19763277%5E921,00.html

I was wondering how he got caught. His MUM dobbed him in.

There was a previous thread about this when the guys photo was published and the police called for help to ID him. I'm too lazy to look it up and link to it though! :grin:

2. yeah I know the one... damn oh well he's out and no longer a menace...

Hey tech did you see the snow on the mountain? fffFFFREEZING riding this morning at 7...

3. I can't believe that someone would get jail for that!
    Hey, this guy sounds like a reckless dude- don't get me wrong....
    But a jail term???? :eek:
    Jeeez, he's off the bike for three years- that would be bad enough!

4. Nice work from the cop there. This guy deserved to get caught. However, I agree with Kiwimike I don't think a jail sentence is applicable. Suspension from license and extremely hefty fines should be enough (or the option between paying the fines or serving a jail sentence).

5. With multiple counts of failing to stop when instructed by the police...
    Yep Jail time is appropriate.

The speeding is one thing, but if you can't get somethin gthrown at you for not stopping when instructed by the cops, what can they do???
    Shoot you?

comparativly a jail term sounds like a prety good option.

6. The guy sounds like a statistic waiting to happen.

7. Why not? He was in flagrant disregard of the law.

You break the law, and you'll pay for it. You flout the law, you'll do time.

8. Ghostrider wannabe, anyone?

9. Oh, so if the guy is doing 200kph, that's not safe, but if the officer is doing 200kph to keep up with him, then that's okay and safe.

I mean, how stupid is that comment. If you're going slower than someone who's going very fast, they get away from you rather quickly and you'll never see them again. In order to keep up with them and ultimately catch them, you have to be doing fairly close to their speed and keep them in sight.

10. Difference: Cops are trained in safe riding at any and every speed.

11. They get training we have no access to. I know for a fact that they have to be good enough to just sit on the bike and do nothing after setting cruise control to 120kph and hitting the handlebars full force.

12. Anyone can do that. Unless there's something seriously wrong with the steering geometry of the bike, the bars will just wobble a bit and then self-correct. The rider is just along for the ride if he does nothing. In fact, it's actually worse of the rider tries to do anything about it. Better to just let the bike self-correct which it always will (again, unless something is seriously wrong with the bike).

All that exercise does is get the rider used to the idea that the bike will self correct when the bars start wobbling.

13. I totally agree.

Its not the fact that he sped once or something. The point is that he repeatedly sped at crazy speeds, like 200km/hr in traffic and 150 in a 40 zone, ad that to multiple failure to stops and just generally being a tool. Fair punishment if you ask me.

14. I doubt it was this guys first offence. It usually builds up to jail time with a fine first, suspended sentence next and then time inside.

He is giving the rest of us a bad rap.

Yes, Ward, I'm looking at the snow out my window right now. Bloody freezing riding to work I'll bet. It was bad enogh in the car.

Cheers

Techno

15. That's just one thing I know for a fact they have to be able to do. I'm sure there's a lot more to it.

It was stated the cop followed and "caught up with him". AFAIK, "safe speed" is no more than 110. I could be wrong. It could be anything below 160, for all I know.

You were all pretty quick to say that the cops can't ride safer than any of us. All I'm seeing is cop-bashing.

16. No one is cop bashing. We (or at least I) was criticising the author of that statement. Not the officer.

17. Where dd they say it was a bike cop?
    Regular dutys arent trained for any and every speed.
    Was the public insured against the off duty officer using his personal bike in police action?
    Even hwy arent permitted to pursue past certain speeds.

But do a runner and be engaged in an active pursuit you have to expect jail.

18. And all I'm seeing from you is cop-worshipping :)

19. Slow down a sec there, the cop was off duty. For all we know, s/he was neither a trained motorcycle cop nor on a police bike. Id be hoping the cop "happened" to be in the area and the offender had slowed within legal limits and traffic such that the cop could get close, but it sounds a bit too good to be true.

Either way though, the offender certainly sounds like he made himself "known" to the police and continued to ride like a prat in public - really cant say I feel too sorry for the fellow. How many warnings do you need before you would back off?

20. Actually it appears cops are very poorly trained, which is one of the reasons why police pursuits end up being so dangerous. One of the things that came up in the whole pursuit thing is that police high speed training consists of one day course they are only obliged to do only one time - once they've done that, they are certified for high speed work for the rest of their career, no refreshers required. Some people claim that is far from sufficient, and the statistics back that claim....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.