Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tassie on a Tiger

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by winaje, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Hi all.

Buying a 2007 Triumph Tiger later in the year, and starting to plan a 2-3 week Tassie trip in 2008. So I have a few questions:

1. What time of year is best to go, considering weather and traffic, as well as boat fares and accommodation etc?

2. What direction would you suggest? Clockwise or anticlockwise?

3. Are there any areas you'd say we SHOULDN'T ride into?

4. What areas are MUST SEES?

5. Any pitfalls, hazards, to be particularly aware of?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Can't help on the Tassie trip :oops:

But like to hear why you are going for the 07 Tiger - is it for the bigger engine and that it is more road orientated? And what are you trading in?

Thanks in advance

Cheers Alex
  3. Hi Alex. Not trading anything in, no bike at the moment...

I like the Tiger for the more upright seating position than the Sprint, which was my initial choice. Also thinner, easier between cars, and love the idea of the bigger gruntier motor etc. Will also buy it with ABS.
  4. The new Tiger is filling another niche - Sports Tourer meets Adventure bike :cool:

Thanks for the info and apologies for the thread hijack.
  5. Ah Tassie...
    For my money, the best time is Autumn - most settled weather, nice colours etc.
    Must sees: There are SO many, but,
    - network of roads around Cethana, then over to Cradle Mountain
    - Strahan via Rosebery
    - Queenstown / Mt Arrowsmith (but be careful)
    - Launceston to St Helens via Scottsdale & Tasman Hwy
    - Elephant Pass / St Marys Pass loop (and again...)
    - Freycinet and Coles Bay
    - if you plan to get off the bike and hike, Walls of Jerusalem,
    - many, many more
    Beware: wildlife, masses of the buggers. Especially at night. And fine screenings dropped on the road (usually mid corner) from gravel trucks descending from the highlands.
    You can't really go wrong. Have fun :grin:
  6. Traffic will never be a problem :) Boat fares are as per the website, with off-peak being cheaper. If you go peak period, plan/book ahead if you are wanting cabin/motel accomodation. If your just wanting pub/tent space, then you'll be fine at just about anytime unless going in a group. Some of the accomodation packages on the Tassie tourism website are quite good too and definantly worth a look. Mid/late shoulder season would be my suggesstion to go for both the weather and accomodation aspect.

Anti-clockwise, with a fall-back plan for clockwise. The West and North West area's are hellish for the weather and when it's not nice, both those areas aren't fun to ride in. So if when you get off the boat, the next few days weather forecast in those area's is for shiteful stuff, you can change and go clockwise. Even the most hardened riders get dispondent riding in the NW and W during bad weather. And if the weather forecast in that area is good when you get off the boat, you can do it straigh-away and not have to worry later in your trip.

Only really straight-down the middle. It's effectively their Hume freeway between Hobart and Laun and is boring as they come.

Seriously, everywhere in Tassie :) (except straight down the middle). The previous one's highlighted are all good, and you come across most of them anyways if your doing a loop. The roads and sights are glorius. Except for teh sight at the top of the mountain in Hobart, you can skirt the outsides of Hobart and Launceston, as you won't miss anything.

* Stretch the budget an get yourself a cabin berth for at least the trip there .. better to have a bed and shower so you can get-up in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to ride-off on the first day.
    * If travelling by yourself, pack a decent at least elementary repair kit and tyre flat kit. Bike stores are only in Laun and Hobart, but the locals and their mechanics are still helpful all the same.
    * Make sure you have fresh rubber, recent chain/sprockets, and recent service .. always good to go with confidence in the bike.
    * Take a pre-paid Telstra SIM (or phone-card) if your not already with them ... the other networks are non-existent 4 or 5 major towns.
    * Frequent twisties and on/off bike sightseeing make for a tiring day, so some practice at multi-day riding trips and riding fitness will be a big help.
    * If you riding for more than about 4-5 days straight, plan at least a good half day or full day rest stop - trust me you'll need and welcome it :)
    * 250km-300km per day is fairly much the most you'll get with stops, sight-seeing, and average speed.
    * Done nicely/steadily, the loop of Tassie is about 10-12 days riding time. Many riders are deceived by it's size. If you don't have that much riding time, your better doing a section or half of it, and then planning to come back and do the rest in 9 months time :)
  7. Now thats a serious reply Jason, obviously a topic close to your heart maybe. Can I assume you have ridden there a few times as it sounds like it. I have considered it myself and your reply covered lots of questions.

8. Yes, a number of times :wink: 4 with a group of riders, once by myself, and once with only 3 of us. I call it motorcycling Nirvana.
    Glad it was helpful.