Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

:?: Tassie - January or March??

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by HB, Sep 29, 2012.

1. :?: Tassie - January or March - or Vietnam

I have some compulsory leave coming up in January but plan on taking some time off in March as well. Been thinking of going to Tassie for week to 10 days as I haven't been there for a few years and never on a bike.

So which month would be better, will January be too hot? Don't want to waste the time off then as I always seem to so figure Tassie is always a few degrees cooler.

Any suggestions?

ETA: After some of the replies I'm now also looking Vietnam
  2. Late January is the best time - I grew up in Hobart...
  3. but if you want to enjoy the ride march has less caravans.....
  4. Having toured Tassie with a caravan, heed trd2000's words........ the bastards are everywhere, school hollies in Tassie go through to Feb as well so families are still on holidays. By March/April the grey gomads are packing up and heading to FNQ or Darwin for the winter ...... that's when I would tour Tassie
  5. March probably mate, still good weather and the roads should be nice and clean for spirited riding :)
  6. I was thinking March was the better option but it's also a good month for most other states and other stuff too.

So now what do I do with January? Unfortunately its the 2 weeks after Xmas, and we only run with a few people as it's a very quiet time due to the construction industry and trades downtime. I have worked through it before, but it's boring as bat$hit.
  7. i'm HOPING to get the 'prilia down to tassie for a run on some familiar roads over the xmas period...... it's gonna stuggle for fuel range on the west coast but it has to be done.
  8. Naa I took the Tuono down there and range was fine, although i carried a backup of 4litres in a kreiga bag on the tail

early march :)
  9. Fly to SE Asia and rent a bike.

Cost of airfares is more than offset by how little it costs when you get there - provided of course you book everything directly, and not through an Aussie agent (a lot of places have their own websites with online booking).
  10. JDs suggestion is intriguing, I must admit.

Until I saw that I was thinking January in south-east NSW, via the Bonang and then back and forth to the coast. Some pretty good roads that way. Spend the nights inland and it shouldn't be hard to find good cheap accommodation.
  11. I can certainly recommend Penang in Malaysia, specifically Batu Ferenghi. There's plenty of places to rent a bike for less than $20 a day (cheaper if getting it for a week) - and there's lots of interesting roads to the West and South with minimal 4-wheeled traffic to worry about. Plus, being an island it's hard to get too lost, unless you cross the bridge to the mainland.

Langkawi is also good - and as an added bonus the entire island is tax-free. So cheap imported alcohol and chocolate is in abundance. :)

Bali is also okay, as long as you don't go anywhere near Denpasar/Kuta (either on a bike, or in general).
  12. Going through Vietnam has been on my bucket list since the Top Gear special, just January might be a bit too hot for me.

You had me at chocolate.

Bali - took that off my list 10 years ago next month.
  13. January is actually the best time to go. It's the middle of the dry season for the tropics in the Northern Hemisphere - so that's when you get the lowest temperatures, and the least amount of rainfall (plus you're already acclimatised to warm temperatures).
  14. JD

Thanks for that. I goggled the Vietnam weather the other day and thought it said 30 plus.

I'm a delicate little thing and don't like hot and sticky.
  15. Around most of the cities/coastline it's always 30 plus - but the change in humidity makes the wet season feel a hell of a lot hotter.

Go up into the mountains in SE Asia though and you'll find the temperature drops to the low to mid 20s. The Genting and Cameron Highlands in Malaysia are good for this - it's where the British rubber plantation and tin mine owners tended to live to escape the heat. Even the centre of small islands like Penang are much cooler, since even just a short distance from the coast still puts you at 500m or more above sea level (with some very fun roads leading up there).
  16. Thanks JD, you have certainly given me an interesting alternative, will have to do a bit of research.

The only thing that might concern me is the reliablilty of the hired bike.
  17. I am heading down sometime in the same period of january-march. Also planning 10 days lol.
    Am working on my crews roster right now to see when i can score an extra couple weeks.
  18. Wonder if there would be much interest in a Netrider group?

Must be a lot of people who have shutdown after Xmas.
  19. Yeah that can be a bit of an issue. First bike I rented over there had a front rotor so badly warped it was unusable. Another had a 2-stroke oil tank that run empty as soon as I was the furtherest distance from anywhere likely to sell 2-stroke oil (and trying to buy 2-stroke oil was certainly fun given my limited amount of Malaysian).

Of course these are the sorts of things that make holidays interesting. And if anything had gone seriously wrong with any of the bikes I've rented I knew it wouldn't be too hard to find someone able to fix it. There's some sort of bike mechanic in literally every village, and with $20-30 per day a good salary for a mechanic you really don't have to worry too much about getting screwed on expensive repairs (most of the rental bikes cost less than $2k brand new, so parts cost isn't an issue either).

I would suggest though making sure you get travel insurance that covers motorcycle hire - which usually isn't too difficult to get if you have an Australian bike licence. Also don't let the rental places talk you into handing over your passport or anything else that's valuable. The ones I've used were happy to accept an $80 security deposit - and that was an amount I was happy to lose if there were any issues with the bike. I figured as long as I got it back to where I rented it from any mechanical issues that may have arisen that weren't due to a crash were their problem, and not something the local Police would even contemplate chasing me for (especially given how much a lot of Asian countries rely on Western tourism).

Incidentally the low pay rates also means you don't have to worry too much about the road rules. A $20 (or $50 if you suck at haggling) bribe will get you out of pretty much anything ;).

Edit: Oh and if you're suggesting a Netrider group ride in SE Asia I'd definitely be interested - just not 100% sure if I'd be available. Not so interested in Tassie, too far to ride between here and there :).