Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Tasmania To Host Vital New Road Safety Forum

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Fractalz, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Sat 10 November 2012
    David O'Byrne
    Minister for Infrastructure

The Minister for Infrastructure, David O'Byrne, today announced Tasmania will host a National Road Safety Forum next year.

The unanimous decision to hold the annual forum was made at a meeting of Australian Infrastructure and Transport Ministers in Perth yesterday.

The forum will focus on measures to protect vulnerable road users like motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians.

"The roads belong to all of us, and it's time our more vulnerable road users had a strong voice at the policy table," Mr O'Byrne said.

"We've lobbied hard to have road safety efforts co-ordinated better at national level.

"I've recently met a number of vulnerable road-user groups, including the Australian Motorcycle Council. They're very keen to work with governments to achieve genuine outcomes.

"I'm very pleased we've achieved this opportunity for them, next year.

Linky to news article >>>>> http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/media_room/media_releases/tasmania_to_host_vital_new_road_safety_forum
  2. I'd rather they do nothing and leave us alone than screw everything up. Sadly my confidence in their ability makes me think this is inevitably going to be another screw up.
  3. I tend to agree.

What the government calls 'help' I could usually do without.

The good that could come of this is if Sydney reports well on the filtering trial.
  4. and there's so much potential bad... front plates, fluoro, increased levies.... about the only thing i CAN'T see being suggested is a move away from "speed is the root of all evil" approach to road safety.

hopefully its just another government jaunt and nothing at all comes out of it... like most of these conferences.