Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Tas] WRB in the Headlines

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jdkarmch, Jan 7, 2008.

1. http://news.theage.com.au/motorcyclist-dies-in-horrific-road-smash/20080107-1khp.html
    We know that there have been several incidents where a rider has died striking a WRB in the past. But, this is the first instance where the evidence has been reported this clearly.

Please - no comments about the rider - we need to discus what action needs to be taken "now the evidence is so clearly in".

My first sugestion would be that riders email the media about this one, and ask for action to be taken as but a start. We have been asking that WRB be covered for years - now might be a time to get the ball rolling.

Remember - whether speed was involved or not - cars hit these things at speed and the public accepts that as being OK........
  2. Something does need to be done for sure.

I'm just amazed that speed wasn't mentioned as a potential contributing factor for once! That's a great start and all the more reason to try and get something done about these deathtraps. :evil:
  3. Any condolence posts or speculation posts will result in this thread being deleted.
    this is about wire rope barriers and nothing else!
  4. The article states that there will be a coronial inquest into the death. Hopefully, the coroner will indicate that the wire rope barrier had something to do with the death. If that happens, then the coroner's recommendations could well include that the barriers be removed. Keep an eye on this one methinks.
  5. Holy f%ck! I think I went through that area with an "L" plater Sat morning, on the way from the boat to Launceston. :eek:

I did notice some really :dodgy" WRB's over in Tas and (as always) treated them like poison.
  6. Summary of current European status:
    Following a review of European-wide safety research, the Dutch removed the wire ropes, and the last such barrier in the Netherlands was removed in July of 2006.

In Norway, the Ministry of Transport announced a ban on future use of wire rope barriers at the end 2006, while, in a similar move, the British government's roads agency has stipulated all new central barriers must be solid concrete.

Existing wire rope barriers in Britain are to be removed when in need of replacement.

In Austria, France, Germany and Portugal devices have been fixed to the upright poles of existing wire ropes and other crash barriers in a bid to make them less hazardous to motorcyclists.

Media Release from British Highways Agency:
    To improve safety to all road users, including motorcyclists, all new central barriers must now be solid concrete with no posts and there is also a recently−introduced section on motorcyclists in the Highway's Agency's Road Restraints Standard. This means that at high−risk sites for motorcyclists, such as tight external bends, consideration must be given to the form of barrier to make sure it is safe for motorcyclists.
  7. Excellent result for the Europeans.

Only another 20 years before it's implemented here. Or 30 for us in the West :evil: .
  8. Thanks for the posts Tonye

So do they include this in their "cost saving" when installing WRB's...."Due to the nature of the collision, counselling has been arranged for emergency services" - arsewipes

Was posted up last time this was discussed, but it needs a death of a celebrity/pollies child for these things to be adequately shielded/removed for the protection of motorcyclists.
  9. it's funny that this topic has popped back up, just today i was talking to a shire head-engineer, and he insists that there is no evidence to support the "overall physical damage" (to the person) is higher hitting a WRB than a regular armco, or guardrail.
    emailing TonyE's links now, anyone else got any SOLID data for me to pass on?
  10. Joel,
    the British Motorcycle Action Group has a sh!t-load of good stuff.

Have a look here for lots of good links.

Includes a link to an 80 page PDF of the ACEM handbook for Road Planners and Engineers - one of the better guides around. There is also some stuff happening in Victoria looking at road design and maintenance for Powered Two Wheelers and training courses for those involved. Very, very early days yet though.

The FEMA Motorcyclists and Crash Barriers report is at http://www.fema.ridersrights.org/crashbarrier/index.html
  11. Even without solid data it's just friggin logical that these thngs are going to do major damage if you hit one. First off they are STEEL posts, embedded into the ground, so if they don't give when you hit em what does, well you!!!

Secondly they have a very narrow surface area that faces the road, so lets see, lowside 60kmh even you go sliding along the road hit said stell post at said speed, it doesn't give and you've hit an area some 2" wide max, not gonna be pretty...

If you're (lucky?) what will happen is you'll hit some object during your slide that will kick you up off the road surface and then you'll the wire ropes instead, that's not gonna be pretty either but a slightly better option than the posts me thinks...
  12. Challenge him to a "Who can sit on the fence the longest" competition.

He gets a length of steel cable between two poles, and you get a concrete road barrier.

See who wins.
  13. The old school guard rail does a good job,

Me and a friend hit one in a cage on OP, it saved us from going down the cliff edge.

cage was a ride off.
  14. Not that I'm defending WRBs, but how is any of this different to hitting an armco? The steel posts are thicker and therefor less likely to give at all, you hit one of them and you'll be in a world of hurt as bad if not worse than a WRB post. The only benefit is 'if' you happen to be flung into the air during your slide and hit a big steel rail instead of a wire cable.
  15. Triway:

With an Armco the force is distributed over a larger area. Theoraticaly smaller injuries but more of them.
    With the posts/cables all the force of the impact is taken by at the small areas of contact.
  16. that's not true at all.
    the armco posts have corners, and many are just a form of pressed sheet.

anyway, cheers all for the links. proving very interesting. if it wasnt confidential i'd share :twisted: