Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[TAS] Traffic cops object to quotas.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, May 7, 2009.

1. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/07/2563630.htm

Traffic fine quotas not a fair cop: Police

The Police Association of Tasmania has hit out at the benchmark system which requires officers to meet infringement quotas.

The union has told a parliamentary committee investigating road safety that the system does nothing to reduce road fatalities.

A Parliamentary Committee has heard that motorists receive traffic infringement notices just to meet quotas.

The Association's president Randolph Wierenga says meeting benchmarks does not reduce dangerous driving.

"As one traffic policeman put it to me, if you've got to go fishing you may as well go where there's plenty of fish and get your fish early and it doesn't matter about the quality of the fish or the size of the fish."

"So that's basically what they do."

"Our members have expressed a lot of frustration at the benchmarks, particularly in relation to traffic and they see themselves merely as going out there collecting numbers rather than actually trying to do some positive enforcement," he said.

2. Amazing. Pity nothing will come of it.
  3. When the enforcer's question the rules of the state, even before refusing, this is a step towards THE REVOLUTION!

I understand your skepticism, but please look on with hope.
  4. Good on them for having the guts to tell it like it is. I'm sure plenty of cops feel the same, but don't speak out about it. Then there'd be some that couldn't care less, and a small minority who delight in giving any infringement to a motorist...
  5. Bravo. Too bad no-one apart from the ABC will run the story.
  6. I thought the analogy quoted in the article was excellent..
  7. Hats off to these guys for standing up and saying it as it is.
  8. +1
  9. This is one of the reasons the cops have been keen on the Community Policing and Education Program that VMAC has sponsored.

It's allowing them to concentrate on things other than merely booking people and it's giving some discretion. What's particularly good about the Tasmanian report is that I suspect if asked prior to these statements there would have been a total denial by the powers that be that quotas actually existed. This at least puts the lie to that.

The problem with having a quota system (as with predicting increases in revenue from spped cameras) is tha it actually presumes that what they are doing is not going to decrease the number of offences.

For instance - the Victorian Government is budgeting for an increase in revenue from speed/red light cameras. This is an immediate acknowledgement that the program isn't actually stopping people from breaking these laws.

The other lesson to take from this is to be extra careful towards the end of a shift if you are travelling in Tasmania. That last hour or so will be when they are getting desperate to make the numbers up and you won't just get away with a warning... :roll:
  10. Exactly!!!
    Government policy for the last ten years has been to ensure that the number of traffic offences keeps increasing! by continually moving the goal posts.
    This argument NEEDS to be taken on it on the public arena. The justice system simply cannot be allowed to be degenerate into a cash cow any further. Traffic may be just the foot in the door, with the principle being applied to every other facet of life.
  11. Taking the argument to the public arena wont change things, it will just re-enforce there current perspective.
    The reason for this. They and the media are doing such a good job of whipping up a frenzy on the subject, and Jo Public is lapping it up.
    The more I speak with people the more I hear how speed kills and that there is no excuse for being so much as 1kph over the limit. At the same time I see more and more Mobile phone usage, and worse and worse over all driving. Indication is a rarity, head checks almost non existent. And tailgating is just normal. But we are all going slower because speed kills.
  12. Anyone from QLD remember kill sheets?
  13. I don't buy that. Joe Public may be a sheep, but he knows when he is being shorn. The government is actually quite sensitive to public criticism, and a campaign highlighting how the number of offenses are skyrocketing will not look good for them. They value the dollars more than public opinion, but debate about how the brainwashing is not making the roads safer CAN and SHOULD be happening.
    There's a lot of talk this week about corruption within the party. There has been talk for a long time about corruption within the police force. They are sensitive, and they need to nailed on all these issues.
  14. Unfortunately I do buy it, ive heard that many people spewing out the same cr@p as FL talks about, and interestingly enough i've seen some of these people drive and they cant drive for SH!T!!!
  15. Oh.... you mean like the introduction of on-the-spot fines for "minor offences" such as minor fraud, shoplifting, possession of stolen goods, offensive conduct, offensive language, obstructing traffic and unauthorised entry of a vehicle or boat - that result in crooks not incurring a record if they dont challenge the ticket?

Here's a link to an article, ill try and find the legislation later: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/onthespot-fines-for-minor-offences/2007/10/23/1192941029367.html
  16. thing is with quotas it's really the only way to effectively manage a copper's work performance, particularly if he's a traffic cop. After all, that's his only real role.

With general uniform it's a bit different again, as they need to log patrol hours a shift and so on.

"random" licence and rego checks are one good way of keeping the log book filled out. And some of you probably are aware of my objection to this method of "enforcement", but that's another issue.

Quotas are not going to go away any time soon. As Tony pointed out they not only budget on the revenue they depend on it. Otherwise it would not be in the budget.
  17. I was thinking along those lines myself, mit57. (Re: traffic cops need some kind of KPI)

Would be nice if they could identify a better KPI to check against though.
  18. Perhaps a policing based KPI, instead of a revenue based KPI?

I think it would be nice to see a KPI based on how many people they bust doing stupid things (running reds, tailgating, dangerous driving etc...), and the effect their policing has had on improving road safety.

Would require a radical shift away from the speeding is the root of all evil mentality though.
  19. Perhaps they could have a KPI that rates their performance as a group based on how many people die on the roads? Seems like a pretty important KPI to me.