Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[TAS] Thursday Night Mystery Ride - Hobart

Discussion in 'Other States' started by GOOSH, Jan 20, 2009.

1. ok.. so the mystery ride in melbourne is going strong and the time has come for its expansion to another state.. As a long time regular of the original MR in Melbourne, i feel it is my responsibilty to spread the joys of MR to other states.. And since i am in tassie this thursday, the first MR in tassie will be held and led by me..

Meeting Point : Joe's Garage
    1 Market Place
    Hobart, TAS..

Please meet us at 7pm with a full tank of fuel and the ride with depart promptly at 7.30pm..

see you all there

2. and for those playing at home who dont know how this evening is run.. please read the following:

is event is open to everyone. The person in the ride leader position takes that job knowing that learners may turn up and plans the route accordingly. The tail end charlie (TEC) rides at the very back and knows it will be a slow ride for them. They take the role willingly and there is abosolutely no reason for learners to feel they're holding someone up. TEC is there to help and doesn't care how slow you ride.

A word of advice to learners..., Because the ride is open to all, it often involves highly experienced riders who ride at a pace that might seem very fast. This however, should not concern you. The TEC will always stay at the back and look after you. We do ask that you remember being a learner means you are not as fast as a rider with 5+ years experience, and therefore you should never push your limits trying to keep up. We want every rider to ride within their own limits and at their own pace. There is no reason to feel that you will be a burden and there is no glory in being a fast rider. We are a friendly group and are genuinely pleased that you came to ride with us, so we do not want you to risk getting hurt due to unwarranted insecurities.

Corner Marking!

On a group ride the main tool for group navigation is the process known as Corner Marking.

The lead rider is responsible for knowing the route to be taken by the group. On mystery rides, only the lead rider knows the destination and route so Conermarking is essential.

Whenever a turn is made at an intersection, that turn needs to be marked so all riders in the group know to take that turn to avoid getting lost. Sometimes a Cornermarker will be left at a point where no turn is made but the direction is unclear (eg. a 3 point or odd shaped roundabout. If there is no corner marker, the riders must assume the ride continues straight according to legaly defined terms rather than actual direction (put simply, as the line markings dictate).

When the ride leader wants to make a turn he/she will indicate that turn. The leader will also point to a spot on the LEFT hand side of the road.

The rider directly behind the ride leader (ie, the corner marker) stops in that spot on the LEFT hand side of the road and indicates in the direction the ride leader traveled. If leader goes right, indicate right and vice versa.

The Corner marker must maintain that position with the indicator on until ALL riders have past through the turn. This may take 5mins or 5 hrs, it doesn't matter. You will NOT be left behind. If you are left behind the ride leader will stop the group and go back for you.

The corner marker will know when ALL bikes have passed when the Tail End bike signals that no more bikes are comming. This signal will be honking the horn, waving and flashing high beams. At this point, let the tail end through, then make the turn and overtake TE. Job well done.
    Corner Marking is easy and should not be a stressful job. It just requires patience and consentration. If you do not want to corner mark, ride at the back of the group to avoid it. Rule of thumb is to keep at least 2 bikes between yourself and the ride leader to avoid getting that position. If this is your 1st group ride, try to avoid marking corners until you've seen thee process work.

Remember that extra concentration may be required in town to make sure the bike you see is correctly identified as Tail End. Traffic lights and traffic can break the group and there could be significant gaps between small groups of riers. Other bikes not involved in the ride may also give you a friendly wave. Be aware of what type of bike Tail End is riding and if you don't get a toot and a flash stay where you are.

Nb. if you are riding in the group, please don't confuse the Corner Marker by giving them a 'thank you' wave. If they think you are tail end, it will cause caos. Please thank them at the end of the ride.

It is absolutely a requirement that a proper ride brief be given before the ride starts. This may be done my the ride leader or if you're not the public speaking type then a nominated spokesperson may do it for you.

The ride brief must include a description of the cornermarking process. The TEC must also be clearly pointed out with their bike so corner markers know NOT to leave the corner until TEC honks their horn at them.

It's also helpful to provide information of any hazards you expect, U-turns or corners that can't be marked for safety reasons. A reminder to ride safe and give each other plenty of space is also worth putting in the brief.

Slow Learners

If you have any questions about the ride, corner marking or the ride leaders job (cause we'd like you to have a go at everything), please do not hesitate to ask. Myself and Uncle Bren have all the patience in the world and can happily answer most questions a thousand times. The Ride leader will also be able to answer questions about their rides.
  3. Sounds good. Count me in!!!
  4. Perfect timing - l'm in tassie - see you there. Is there going to be an AR?, AAR?
  5. i'll be there...
  6. I'll try to make it Goosh
  7. I should be able to attend. Depends if i get buckled early or later in the day.

See everyone there.
  8. Sweet. Just leave yourself plenty of time to get to the start point. Make sure you have a full tank
  9. the ride planning has started.. too many awesome roads to chose from.. dont know if i can get to them all in one night..
  10. is there any taswegians going on this, or just mexicans who've migrated south temporarily? :p
  11. Just remember that if any Tassie Learners show up they are restricted to 80kmh, so TEC will have a slow ride.

Would love to make it down, but alas have to earn some money up North West.

Have fun everyone. Hope you are enjoying Tassie and the wonderful weather we arranged for you :p
  12. It's cool, he can hitch a ride on his flying cow.
  13. It swims too when it's wings are tired...
  14. :grin: It's the Spirit of Tasmoonia
  15. ride has been planned. and i did the route today... i'm gonna go out there and say this just might be my best mystery ride route ever.. i know big call.. will just have to wait and see
  16. can't wait mate, should I bring my camera as is or mount it on the bike?
  17. I wont be able to make this one, but i should be good for the next one.

Have fun now.
  18. oh thats no good chef.. you would of liked it.. so many twisties to choose from.. and all within 10 minutes of hobart..
  19. I may have to move there one day. I'll probably lead a couple of rides if i do.

I'm jealous now :evil: :LOL:
  20. Are the cops gunna be there?