Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

TAS- Re Register Write off

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by chrisoshea, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Hey,
    Sorry if its been covered Ive read lots on the topic of NSW write offs no longer being able to be re-registered but havent been able to find answer for my question.

Can a NSW write off be re-registered in TAS?
    Had heard on the grape vine that here you can just sign a stat dec and have roadworthy check done.

Any insights or links to answers would be great :)

2. common guys someone steer me in the right direction :)
  3. If it's a complete write off, ie not a repairable write off, I would suspect no.

If it's a repairable write off, likely, but you 'd have to jump through all the hoops.

A call to, or perusal of the website of your local RTA should give you the answers
  4. from http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/otherinformation/written-off_vehicles.html?rlid=5

The RTA will submit a legislation change to the way written-off vehicles are managed. It is intended that the changes will come into effect from 31 October 2010 and state that all vehicles classified as write-offs in NSW after 31 October, will be automatically categorised as statutory (permanent) write-offs. This means they will only be able to be sold for parts or spare metal.

So if you get your vehicle after Oct 31st, you will not be able to register it in any state (that's how I read it anyway)
  5. Are they still going through with that? Bloody idiots. Even more reason not to report an accident in NSW.