Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[TAS] - extended P's

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by MisfitPL9, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Aaaarrrghh

Got caught doing 14k over ( 94 in an 80 zone ) in my CAR. Received a lovely letter explaining I had to pay for new license as well as starting my P's again for the motorcycle ( only 4 month extension ).

So be wary Tassie learners and P platers - any fine in your car extends your P's ( P1 )

2. don't you hate those little (20<) speeding fines. Not that id be happy to have to pay thousands of dollars, but this just adds insult AND injury to the daily commute.

3. WTF?!?!

That's crazy. Fair enough if you were doing it on your bike, your Ps are for your bike, not your freakin' car. I'm assuming you have a full car license or are you on your P1s in the car too?

4. YEP - on full car licence.

Sux

5. Then I'd suggest someone has made a mistake somewhere. You're on your Ps for your bike, not your car. I would be taking it further, that is just craziness.

6. Yeah, I'd ring up and ask why your P's have been extended on your bike for what happened in a car. If you were on P's for both I'd say it was fine, but not with a full car drivers licence.

I was under the impression that points gained in a car did not effect your P's on the bike (or vise versa) unless you obtained 12+ points in total, then both were suspended.

7. Unfortunately, your car license and motorcycle license are one and the same. You lose points in your car, you lose it for your motorcycle as well.

If you had, say 3 points on the car then another set of 4 points on top...then it kills your motorcycle provisional license while leaving you to still drive your car.

I don't think you would be able to argue your case, as I think the idea behind it is that you should obey the law regardless of what you were riding.

Sorry Misfit =/

Edit: http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/novice/top_menu/novice_penalties

8. If that's the rules, then the rules need to be challenged. They're non-sensical. They can't have it both ways! They effectively want to have separate licence conditions dependent on your vehicle of choice, until you commit any kind of offence, then suddenly it's inextricably linked? What a croc. I reckon you could argue quite easily just based on freakin' logic. You've either got separate conditions dependant on the vehicle you drive, or you don't.

Fark, I'm almost tempted to speed past a cop in my car just to take this one on. What bullsh1t.