Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Target 155 (Melbourne Water Consumption)

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by [FLUX], Nov 24, 2008.

1. http://thesource.melbournewater.com.au/content/media_releases/media_releases/20081124.asp

Melburnians are being asked to reduce their household water consumption to 155L per person per day.

We have 4 people in our household, 2 adults and 2 small children. I work from home full-time, while the wife is at home 80% of the time, and we have the typical household washing regime that is associated with 2 small children.

Pulled out the water-bill to check our daily consumption, expecting a rude shock given that we don't really take any explicit water saving measures, are home pretty much full-time, and we don't have water-saver friendly showerheads fitted. We do have a drought friendly garden that we never, ever water though.

Our consumption it turns out => 111L per person per day, or 44L/day below the target, and apparently 54L/day below the average.

This then got me thinking. Given that I don't consider ourselves as being THAT thrifty with water, and yet easily coming in under both the target and the average by a huge amount makes me wonder what the heck is everyone doing to average the current 165L per person per day?

2. Watering their f#cking gardens. You should know that having a pretty garden is far more important than having nice clean water to drink. (That should be the FIRST thing they stop.)
    And while we're on the topic, why the bl00dy hell do we insist on flushing the toilet with perfectly clean drinking water?

3. Mostly washing machines if you have a family.
    Sheets, towels and associated linen would easily push the average usage up by 50 ltr a day.

Also, you must know that there is no real flow measuring device attached to your property. It is a very crude system that allows them to calculate usage to a very approximate value.

This is why they are only issuing notices to people instead of fining them as they actually do not have calibrated flow meters to challange you.

If they fined you, you could ask them in court to provide accurate readings which they know that they can't.

4. I think you might be correct about guessing the amount of water used. I just looked at my water bill for the last 3 months, 4 weeks of which I was away overseas and I somehow managed to use 8 more kilolitres this quarter than the last 3 quarters :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WTF?

5. My neighbor is a complete tool, that looks like the guy from 40 year old virgin. He waters his yard, every morning even if it rained heavily last night.

6. I thought that most house flow meters were of the nutating positive displacement kind. For a project that I was working on some while back, I needed to measure flow rates, on a budget, and ended up buying what was essentially a house flow meter with an electronic signalling output attached. Feed it 12v, and it'd pulse out a square wave, which I then recorded. Seemed to be pretty accurate to me given the range of water pump flows that I was measuring and then independently verifying with bucket capture measure tests.

House flow meters are the same basic thing, but instead of an electromagnetic signal, they just stick the equivalent of an analogue car odometer on it. Each revolution of the positive displacement cavity equates to something like 10ml from memory, and overall it was accurate enough to measure flow volumes to 0.01L accuracy.

Of course, that's assuming that every house has one of these meters, and not something different. My house meter looks a heck of a lot like my nutating flow meter though.

One would think that if it was THAT inaccurate, it could be challenged by everyone who had a beef and it would be a pretty huge scandal in these times of water conservation.

7. Some things are more efficient the more people you have in the house. For instance, I might not have enough clothes to go a full load (only a front loader), my dishwasher might go feral before it's totally full (and the if hand washing, might grow things before a full bowl is used).

I have a 3 bedroom house, flush toilets when necessary, use a water tank for all my bike/car washing, haven't washed my windows in over a year, rarely water the garden, take 2 min showers and still my usage is about 150l a day. If there were two of us here, I think my water usage would go up only by the amount of a morning shower and perhaps 1 wash load more in a week, certainly not double my current use.

Obviously the efficiency argument has optimum points, but a single person occupying a reasonable size house isn't the most efficient way to use the water I do use.

A lady on 774 was down to 60l a day. That's mainly with shower water used to fill washing machines, cisterns etc...

8. 60L/day eh?

The Melbourne average annual rainfall is 650mm. Okay, so let's halve that 'cos we're in a drought, so 325mm anually. Living in an average house with 200sq.m. of roof water capture area would suggest around 65 cubic meters of water collected through rainfall in a drought, or about 65000L annually.

That's 178L/day on average, from rainfall.

Imagine that. If every house captured rainwater to a tank, and were plumbed to pipe/pump shower grey water into a reserve tank that fed toilet cisterns at the very least, then most households of three people or less would be wholly self-sufficient for water.

Am a bit unsure about pumping shower water to the washing machine, especially in a house with young males. :jerk:

9. i'd like to find out how mcuh water our washing machine uses in a day, and also measure the flow from our shower. i know i sometimes have long showers, but i try and keep it to 4 or 5min max. other than that, im lucky if i flush the toilet twice, and wash hands etc. we water the garden with tankwater. wouldnt have thought this would come anywhere near 100L a day, let alone 165L.

something to look into :)

10. Washing machines use absolute boatloads of water. Our washing drain clogged one day, and we had an empty 120L wheelie bin. One full load, being wash and rinse cycles filled the bin about 80% up, or roughly about 100L of water used.

Our machine sense load size automatically though, and uses less water if the tub isn't full, but it's still a lot of water. It's at least around 50L even for a light load.

I know our household go through about 8 full loads per week (kids eh?), so around 25% of our water consumption is for washing.

A full toilet flush is around 12L or so, and a half flush is about around 6L. Only need to do a full flush dump, and one more flush once/day when the yellow gets rich, and there's about 20L/day right there.

Showering is around 8-10L/minute for a full-flow head. Take a 5 minute shower, and there's 40-50L gone.

Washing dishes easily accounts for another 20L per person per day, and then you've got your drinks, cooking (rice/potatoes/pasta, etc) and washing out coffee/tea cups and stuff, typically adding up to another 10L/day easily.

All up it's fairly easy to see how per person we can average around 90-110L/day, even if we think we're being somewhat frugal with water.

11. i dont know how much everyone knows about the north south water pipeline that will run from the goulburn river (goulburn valley) SHEPPARTON etc, so that melbourne can flush our toilets wash our dishes make our cars n bikes shine pretty...what lots of pleople dont know is that shepparton and surrounding areas (goulburn valley) is the home of a massive chunk of dairy and fruit growing etc and production most people know SPC or ARDMONA well they r in shepparton and mooroopna n they do well over 60% of australias fruit production and exporting. if we take the water from there n suck the goulburn river dry where will the farmers get their water from....their tears??? what will we eat???? dirt????

just a little something to think about

12. What is bollocks about "saving water" though is that only 7% of all consumption is domestic.
    So from 180 to 155 is a reduction of 13.8%

so 13.8% of 7% is 0.966% reduction in overall consumption :roll:

Yeah, lets live in filth for that

13. Got a citation for that 7% figure.

If domestic house usage is averaging 165L per person per day. Times that by ~3.3M people in the Melbourne Area, and that's around 544ML per day consumed by households.

If you then go look at the Melbourne Water website where they list the daily water consumption by the Melbourne Area, and it's typically 850-1050ML/day.

Based upon that, residential consumption would appear to account for 50-60% of Melbourne's total water consumption.

14. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...CF764A3639384FDCCA257233007975B7?OpenDocument

Sorry, latest figures (which I know but not available online are at ~7%).

05/06 was at 11%

From link above

15. Top loading washing machines use absolute boatloads of water, front loading machines tend to be more water efficient.

Our "old" Hoover top-loader used to use 210 litres for a full load :shock: - it was less than two years old when we elected to replace it with an Asko (uses 60 litres for the same size load). It's amazing how living on tank water suddenly makes you very conscious of your consumption.

16. Thanks for the link, but that's Australia wide. This topic is in reference to the Melbourne area, and the Melbourne Area water catchments that service said area. Within that smaller environment, residential water usage does account for around 60% of all of Melbourne's water usage.

I do agree that in the Australia-wide scheme of things that Melbourne's residential water consumtpion is but a ~2% drop in the Australia-wide ocean, but with direct relevance to the water catchments and reservoirs that supply the Melbourne city area, a 10-15% reduction in household consumption would be significant locally.

17. 210L? You sure about that? Our top-loader machine that uses 100L/load is a 6.0kg tub (ie. very large). Pulled out the ruler and measured the dimensions of the wash tub, and assuming there were no clothes in it, and it was filled to the brim, it only holds 70L. Most wash cycles are 1 wash / 1 rinse, with a bit of added light spraying here and there to rinse off suds. Hard to image a machine using more than 150L unless it was immense in size.

Front-loaders do use less water, but in general they also seem to take smaller loads, so more loads to get through the washing means you lose some of those savings. That's not to say that you can't get 6.0kg front-loaders, just that I'm unsure how much water a 6.0kg front-loader consumes in comparison to a semi-efficient 6.0kg top-loader.

18. I’ll be honest, I have limited sympathy for people who whinge about a 150lpppd target, our hose does 160lpd for two people. Now I can easily see how people would use more than that. But twice that… that is a lot.

19. Yeah, but have you noticed how we don't stand downwind from you?

20. Ah, hang on. If I am reading this correctly, this is talking about total water usage from ALL sources. Agriculture, mining, most electricity and a fair bit of industry do not get their water from the same source as households (ie. not from the reservoirs used for tap water).

At least not until the north-south pipeline comes on line.

This is a bit like the argument about cattle farming being a heavy user of water. It is, but from a different source!. It doesn't affect the household supply at all.

To say that household use is insignificant is wrong, because the household supply is entirely separate. Got to be careful with statistics.

Anyway, our house seems to be doing pretty well - 70L per person per day without trying much. 155 is very generous.

I don't think you'll see the government promoting water tanks too hard either . Their first priority is going to be protecting the profit centres of their good mates in the privatised water industry.