Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Tar road repairs - dangerous?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jack_1313, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I was thrown off my bike at 90ks an hour in the rain tonight near the start of the Western Ring Road (Greensborough end). I was cruising along in a straight line, right hand tyre track, when one or both suddenly tyres lost traction and began drifting to the side. This was on my 1982 CB250RS, which has quite thin tyres front and back. When the rear tyre regained traction the bike went into tank-slapper mode for a second or two and then threw me off. Bike and I both slid down the road independently. I am uninjured.

It didn’t take long to work out what had happened. That part of the Ring Road has a lot of cracks repaired with tar. Some of them run parallel to the direction of the road. Some are thin, straight lines and others criss-cross all over the place. I had crossed onto one of these repairs and lost traction, because the tar is not mixed with gravel and is thus completely smooth.

Are there regulations that govern these kind of repairs? How are they not considered dangerous? At night, with headlights coming the other way (not to mention rain), these repairs are 100% invisible. There was nothing I could have done to avoid this accident, other than ride my Hornet instead (which has much fatter tyres).

Is there any point in lodging a complaining with the council on the basis that the road is dangerous, or should I just sack up on this one?

2. Glad to hear you're ok. Sorry it happened, that sucks.

Bike alright?

Fatter tyres would most likely be worse, not better.

If that method of maintaining / repairing the road was something new, you might get somewhere with it, but the fact is they've been doing this in some places since Noah did it between the planks on the Ark. By all means, try it on, and good luck, but I wouldn't bet big money on winning.

"Yeah, those motorbikes, they're dangerous things, eh? So have you learned your lesson son? I know a bloke who's selling a Falcon."
  3. Good to hear you're all right Jack. Hope the bike didn't get damaged a lot.

Just out of interest, do you think your throttle control was correct throughout the episode? Was just wondering if sudden deceleration or acceleration may have contributed to your fall. Not having a go at you, but most riders instinctively do the wrong thing when they experience a threatening situation.
  4. It is not ****en tar!

You were not riding to the conditions, your claim will fall upon deaf ears.
  5. Agree with Joel This seems like rider error rather than the repairs to the roads, how long have you been riding?
  6. Jack that sounds really weird & would mess with ya head.

Cruising along in a straight line & losing control - i cant imagine how that would happen over tar (sorry Joel, that's what they're known as lol) snakes while perfectly upright. Even in the wet.

What about standing water? Or oil?

I once saw instructors belt around a tight gymkhana course on a bitumen range that had loads of tar snakes - no slips or shakes... That was in the dry though.

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
  7. I have had incidents off my tyres "squirreling" on tar snakes, on Citilink, can be hair raising but being consistant on throttle should get you through.
  8. Hey guys, thanks for your comment!

The bike isn't very damaged, and it all ready had a few scratches on it. The bar end is about a third smaller, the exhaust is sc****d, the brake lever snapped off, and the mirror is trash. The thank is mysteriously dented without any scraping damage to it.

Throttle control was consistent, at least up until the point the tank slapper began. Once it the tank slapper started I didn't intentionally accelerate or decelerate, but with the handlebars flinging violently left and right and my hand holding the throttle it's hard to say exactly what control my hand would have had in that second or two. No brakes were used.

There wasn't really much to it. I was cruising in a straight line at a consistent 90ks and hour (not accelerating). The bike started sliding out, then turned into a tank slapper. Sounds bizarre, but that's what happened. My guess is that the line/s I hit was/were themselves probably not level (an long edge running the the direction of travel), thus contributing to or causing the initial loss of traction.

I've ridden every day for somewhere between 1.5 and 2 years, in all weather conditions.

I don't really want to get defensive about it, but I don't really see what you mean Joel about not riding the conditions. Are you saying I should have been going slower, and why would this have helped?

With regards to making a complaint - I'm not really concerned about the cost of repairing the bike, just my safety and the safety of other motorcyclists.
  9. YOU were riding the motorcycle, YOU fell off.
    You were not riding to the conditions, otherwise you would not have fallen off.
    This isn't rocket surgery.
  10. Ok Joel, but it would be great if you could point to something a bit more specific in the information I provided.
  11. Nah sorry Joel, from this distance you can't categorically say that.

Jack, were their undulations/roughness in the road? I've been riding with a 250 that got into a tank slapper on a completely dry road. My 9r rode over the top of the bumps no probs - the 250 went into massive tank slapper that fortunately didn't end up in a sorry tale. 250cc suspension, especially if clapped out or unserviced for a long time could cause a loss of control over bumps.
  12. When the Old Rd just past The Pie in the Sky was FIRST repaired by using Tar Snakes it scared me so bad I pulled over at the old petrol station to check for a flat tyre and that was in the dry.I have been riding for more than 30 years and had never seen them or had anything like this happen before.Well not quite true,I once had a low side that I put down to melted tar in the Taree bends on a very hot day.In the next couple of weeks there was no were near the lack of grip I first uncounted.I have heard story's that freshly lay ed tar releases an oil before it fully cures,maybe urban myth.So no tank slappers from me on freshly layed tar snakes but enough lack of grip to tighten the sphincter to max .There a shit of an idea,worst than the crack they repair
  13. Wou;d not have been road snakes I would reckon you hit a patch of oil in the wet conditions, never had an issue with road snakes in any condition on any roads in 14 years of riding.
  14. Jack, there was a spot on the Tulla fwy where it would dip [dangerously] in the wet more noticably so, I am not much of a rider but the only time this 'problem' piece of road was fixed was after I saw a group of vic pol on bikes headoung out to training one morning and I believe they put the compliant in, the road was fixed within a week!!
    But, if you ride up the tulla, you will see strips of patchwork, I was holding steady speed on a wet day going 'under' the Bell st overpass heading to Bulla rd, at the time I rode a gsx750f 'teapot' I maitained speed over on those strips and almost lost as the rear spun like crzy, so not necessarily 'rider fault' in your case [frommy experience] those 'patchup' strips are lethal!!
  15. BTW ask
    Joel anything about roads and road surfaces, he is an expert.
  16. I think it's that section of the road, it needs attention and has done for some time - I've had a prime mover break traction in the wet there under steady acceleration...
  17. The practice is known as Crack-Sealing and is performed using a polymer modified binder made of Styrene-Butandiene-Styrene and Class 170 Bitumen, and <5mm grit.
    The binder heated and injected in to the crack on the road, and then gritted to provide for some amount of skid-resistance.
    This type of repair is considered maintenance in order to try and have the pavement meet or exceed it's design life.
    There is standards that have to be followed in the placement of this treatment, and these can be obtained from GeoPave, or AAPA.

As I said earlier, and even to the disagreement of Rob, you fell off your bike in conditions that were somewhat inclement, and therefore it has to be said that you were not riding to the conditions.
    As a regional manager for an infrastructure/construction company, I have seen countless claims such as these declined. In fact, I have not seen one approved, ever.

*The information in the above post is my opinion only, and does not necessarily represent the opinion of my employer.
  18. I would be surprised if tar snakes caused a tank slapper. Check your wheel weights before you ride the bike again.
  19. Wow, what a load of drivel. That shit can get slippery as fuck, i dont care what its made of.

Next time you go for a bit of slip and slide on diesel at night that you cant see just have a think about your comment of it all being your fault for not driving to the conditions.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. I've watched them doing it here (Vic), no injection, just pour the muck on the road, no grit either...