Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tapping Noise/Rattle in 89 Honda Spada

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jez79, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Hi All, Just signed up for NR, good to be here..

I bought a Honda Spada to do my L's and restricted period on and in the last few days, I have noticed the bike has a small tapping noise, almost like a rattling sometimes when it is idling.. It seems to go away when it is revved and also when I've been riding a while.

Just wanted to know if it's something you'd recommend getting checked/tuned (do bikes have tappets) and if so, does anyone know a good mechanic in West Melb area?

Cheers again, Jez...
  2. G'day Jez, I don't think you should be too concerned with the tapping, at the very worst the valve clearances may need adjusting. At best it will give you years of trouble free milage.

Most older hondas I've owned have always been tappety, especially at lower revs like you say (and also when very hot, such as sitting in traffic on a hot day). Different (viscosity/blend) oils can improve the sound, best to ask a dealer which alternatives you can use.

For your own peace of mind it wouldn't hurt to take it to a mechanic to get their opinion.

Adjusting the valves can be a little costly, mostly due to the labour involved. You could always get a workshop manual and give it a go yourself.
  3. Gday Cammo,

Thanks heaps for the advice, sounds exactly how you described it. I thought it might be something like that, but wanted a second opinion. Can you recommend a good oil for this style of bike?

Also, if anyone knows a good honest mechanic in West Melb, or has a workshop manual for this bike please let me know.

4. Jez79, what you've described sounds exactly like a defective cam chain tensioner. The earlier incarnation of that motor (VT250F) had problems with this component, although I understood that it had been largely resolved by the time the Spada came along.
    It can be fixed (ie. replaced - I believe the old VT400 unit may fit) but it's a labour intensive process so it's not that cheap. (I was told once about 4 hours labour).
    If that's what it is, you need to get a trustworthy expert to listen to see how bad it is. They can soldier on for a while, but if it gets real bad and the chain jumps its cogs and you've got a dead motor (really!)
    I know a mechanic in Kensington who might be able to give you an opinion. PM me if you want the details.