Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tapping noise on idle....Fix self or send in?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Booki, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Gday everyone, i have a GSF250V, 1999 model.
    Now i have noticed that my bike is making a slight tapping/clicking noise on idle, while you accelerate i have never heard it.
    To my knowledge, there are 16 valves in the gsf250v, its done 29,xxxkm and its a aussie delivered one to (So km's would be genuine id imagine)

I think it would be the tappets/valve shims. Now i am not sure if this is something i could adjust myself, im willing to give it a crack but otherwise could somebody reccomend me a place to get them done? I am in melbourne, northern suburbs (Yarrambat/Diamond Creek).

If me and the old man put our heads together we can generally do everything mechanical, but i cant seem to find any manuals for my suzook. :(

So if anybody could shed some light on how go to about fixing this issue that would be great! Id rarther fix it before it turns into a big issue.

Thanks all!

2.  Top
  3. My 89 Honda Spada has the same noise on idle. I always notice it when stopped at traffic lights, but it goes away (or perhaps is drowned out) whenever I accelerate. I look forward to the responses.

4. <moved from General Discussion> Booki... no more GD dumping, cool?

5. Whoops. My bad! Stupid mistake >_< Brain drain from work.

6. Camchain rattle most likely due to tensioner not tensioning.

7. +1.

The valve clearances more often than not close up with "wear" not open.
    There are exceptions to this however it is unlikely.

If you get the clearance specs, PM me and I will have a look at it for you if you are not confident doing the measurements.

8. Sorry for the lack of replies fellas, so we recken its the cam chain tensioner...hmm

Ive spoken to some owners of similar bikes, GSX250F/Across, and they stated upon replacing it they got better power all around and the rattle stopped!

Ive been hunting for a service manual for my GSF250V, but can't seem to find one anywhere. How am i suppose to find out the wear tolerance's :\

9. CCT is a pretty common problem, and fairly easily fixed if you get to it before it does something really nasty.

Hopefully it's that simple!

10. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9Q0S7H1W
    Filename: gsf250v_manual.zip
    File description: 250 Bandit Owners Manual
    File size: 4.53 MB

This link was posted by jd on Netrider in 2007.. still appears to be working but I haven't downloaded to check the contents

-
    Chris

11. I hope so too, Though is it possible to just adjust the cam chain tensioner as opposed to replacing the whole thing?

Already had that one, its the same as the one i got with the bike. Just the really basic stuff, changing oil and cleaning the air filter is about as indepth as it goes. each page is a jpg.

12. Tappy valves are happy valves!

13. You know it ;) ha ha

I still havn't had time to look into it yet, long as its all ready to rock and roll for those awesome summer net rider rides ill be happy.

14. Ok i still havn't had time to fix up my little bandit, I was thinking before i go out and ordering parts. Is there a way for me to easily check if it needs doing?

Maybe i should post up a video of it running?
    Or can i just take the covers off and have a peek in there, will i need new gaskets or anything?