Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tankslappers and you

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by pragnasty, May 9, 2005.

1. cresting a hill at 120 clicks this sarvy on uneven road.

didnt notice (what i think was) a pothole. let the rodeo begin.... YEEAHA!!!!

lots of fun, felt like about 1 second of actual slap, dnt know what the hell i did to correct it, but i made it here to type out this msg. still kind of shaken, i think i grabbed a handfull of front brake. but afterwards the steering felt really light?? would that be from the slappers? i did however notice that it felt normal after about another 10mins of riding....

any hoo thats my brush with death for the day.
    guess ill read the road a little better next time.

:)

2. and maybe......

..... stick somewhere near to the speed limit so some poor ambo doesn't have to scrape you off the road, and some poor cop doesn't have to go and tell your family that you killed yourself through your own stupidity...

3. yawn... how boring...

i know the risks. its my choice to take them.

now ive got more experience if it ever does happen again.

i was merely bloging the fact that i learnt something..............

you have to push yourself sometimes, cant wrap yourself in cotton wool..

4. ditto what hornet said.
    maybe you should take notice of his tag line.

5. hear we go again........

bear in mind you were all young once..... and wanted to push yourself to the limit..... thats how i live my life.

like i said i was blogging i learnt something.

so pfft to all the old fogeys condeming my choice of lifestyle, i dont particually plan on living to seventy and having to change my colostomy bag. id rather make the most out of every day... when my time comes so be it.. so stick that up your cardigan :evil:

if i ever do make it to that age, at least i wont havent lived a life of regrets...

bloody party poopers.

6. Push yourself by all means, but don't crest the hill, lose control, and wipe out my family.

Just an observation, that's all.

(if you really want to learn about pushing yourself and finding out what happens, I'll send you a picture of my left leg - but at least I didn't do it where other people could get involved)

7. Go to that other thread and buy that ladder to get off your horses guys!

There are two groups of people in this world, those that have at some stage gone over the speed limit, and those that lie and say they haven't.

Must have been quite the pucker-factor moment for you Pragnasty, glad you got through it okay!

I've yet to experience a tankslapper, and hope i never have to, or if I do, i hope i have the reaction skill (or luck) as you seemed to have!

8. Spiky Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:37 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push yourself by all means, but don't crest the hill, lose control, and wipe out my family.

Just an observation, that's all.

(if you really want to learn about pushing yourself and finding out what happens, I'll send you a picture of my left leg - but at least I didn't do it where other people could get involved)

fact 1: it was a empty road: how do i know, it was rolling hills and i observed no oncoming traffic.

Fact 2: i crest a hill/bridge on the left wheel track as not to encumber other traffic

Fact 3: i regained control and learnt something from it, so next time when it does happen ... in traffic...i know how to react, so therefore not endanger other people, including myself.

:wink:

9. amen to that mcbigg. Its amazing how many angels inhabit this world.

10. Oh, and if you had had an accident (god forbid), you probably could have sued the Council, or whoever is responsible for maintaining the roads. Its bloody dangerous to leave a pothole on the cerst of a hill like that.

Of course, you were only doing 100 when you hit it though...:)

11. Fair enough then, I stand corrected.

Hey, we've all done it, and when the roads are clear I guess we all still do.

And yes, I shit myself when I get a good slapper as well.

12. typical??

the selfish arrogance of youth, you might not be planning to live till you are seventy, but I bet if you are still conscious when you are dying you'll offer everything in the world if someone could make it so you could
    Boast not thyself of tomorrow, for thou knowest not what a day might bring forth (Proverbs 27:1 from that old book)
    Seriously, mate, I've had a tank-slapper at legal speed and been spat off down a straight road, it ain't fun, and we're all glad you recovered it, and we all hope you learned something about yourself, and bike dynamics, it's just that no-one lives unto himself and no-one dies unto himself, and everything we do has consequences.......

13. Pragnasty - you forgot fact 4:
    How the hell can I wipe out your family with a motorcycle unless they're lined up with bows on just over the crest of a hill?

Waiting for someone to suggest a motorcycle into a car may make the car driver lose control and kill all the occupants now.... :p

Good thing you learnt something mate. Most people prefer to learn their lessons without having to go sliding along the road. :)

14. yeah pragnasty, you flamin punk kids are always on my lawn <shakes broomstick>

pull your head in and stop speeding, i don't want to be scraping your head off the back of an ice cream truck with me good shovel any more than the other riders here, who by the way NEVER go 120 and don't have this problem <shakes finger>

and don't come here tellin us about your experiences! we don't wanna know, we know it all already! yeesh bloody mongrel kids... back in my day people never sped...

15. dan Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:02 pm Post subject:

and don't come here tellin us about your experiences! we don't wanna know, we know it all already!

mcbigg Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:40 pm Post subject:
    I've yet to experience a tankslapper, and hope i never have to, or if I do, i hope i have the reaction skill (or luck) as you seemed to have!

read the thread buddy

16. if you want to have some fun with the limits... ride a CT110 to it's limits... that way if you do fall it it's only at 60km/h

17. errr, i did read the thread.

18. You erred, you didn't panic, you recovered control and survived. As long as you learn.
    Life is a big learning curve
    Glad to hear your ok

19. reply

Hey pragnasty, you would have had a first hand example of how a colostomy bag works with that little ooops wouldn't you?? :p :p . Only you used your jeans instead. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously, keep an eye out for those bumps at that speed. Not that I would do that (ahem) but it is better if you have a run over the road first. Still if that hole appeared suddenly, like yesterday, you can only experience it. It is not that much different from hitting a can or bottle on the road.

As for those saying they don't speed - bull^%* to you.

On almost every ride I have been on, leaders have been way over the 120 at times. Eh?????

Brian

20. Prags......I reckon the best lessons are learnt from experience........and I'm still learnin, and don't worry bout the old farts......you wanna hear what my old man calls me, and I'm fifty bloody three.

Keep on learnin, but make sure you stick around long enough to be able to start conversations with "Back in my day we never..........