Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tank slapper god!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by MattyB, Jan 23, 2007.

1. #1 MattyB, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  2. has he more likely cocked up control or setup of his bike? is it throttle or tyres that cause those?
  3. He didn't look to be leaned over really far when they occurred, and it happened on the exits of each corner after the bike was been picked up, so I'd say that it was caused by poor throttle control, but probably exacerbated by tyres that were/are on their way out (too hot/cooked).

Oh, and that's not a tank-slapper, that's the beginnings of a high-side caused by a rear wheel slide-out.
  4. #4 Loz, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Watch carefully there lads, it's a mini highside, not a tankslapper. The rear wheel gets out of line because he's gassing it too hard on the corner exit, then it grabs and flicks. Because it's only slid a little bit he isn't chucked right off the bike.

Here's your classic tankslapper - [media=youtube]A2svJf4-g4I[/media]

It's called that because the 'bars start oscillating back and forth from full lock left to full lock right, with the grips slapping the tank. They're usually only a problem on bikes that are set up with very steep steering head angles and not much trail to keep the front wheel stable.

The reason you would want to set a bike up like that would be to give it super-fast steering for racetrack-quick tip in. Some road bikes are known to be prone to them, and thus come fitted with steering dampers standard, which help to control tankslapper wobbles.
  5. :shock: A tankslapper ANYWHERE is frightening, but on the Isle of Mann????
  6. looking at that video, it looked like something went wrong with the rear that caused the tank slapper? plus the rider panicked? he seemed to totally lost control of the handle bars and also adding more for them to go left and right.
  7. Great clip loz, a good example of a massive tank slapper. Just a question, what if anything can be done to control it once it starts?

Oh and another Q, what bikes out there on the road are prone to this? Just want to know which bikes NOT to upgrade to.
  8. By the time things get as bad as they do in the IoM clip, there's not much you can do. My experience of one that spat me off on a deead-straight road at 100kph was that it happened so quickly there didn't seem much that could have stopped it.....
    As Loz has noted, fast-steering 'nervous' bikes are prone to the condition, but in most cases a steering damper will even out the oscillations....
  9. Same happened to me twice but it was because front end was not straight when it hit the road. :roll:

Embarrasing. :oops:

At the next lights the biker behind me said I'd nearly lost it. :grin:
  10. Your right. The guys rear shock had collapsed, so you can't really call it a classic tanker slapper, although the result is similar.
  11. Guys, as i sit here1 week + 2 days after a shoulder reconstruction I can tell you just how fast these bastards can happen ...... even at low speeds....

I was sideswiped in sydney traffic on my Trumpie RS, and went into a violent tank-slapper.... at 40KPH ...... I only "just" saved it (Says copper 2 cars back) but i managed to grind 1/2" off the end of the brake pedal !!

Also, when trying to save it, my shoulder was posteriorly dislocated ... :cry: (yea, popped out the back ... oooowch...)

So, please, please be careful out there... i was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but i think i probably not paying enough attention.....*BANG*...

but the important things are... I survived, and the Bike is ok ..... ($3.5k of faring repairs, but ok...)

Black side down guys....
  12. Sorry to hear of your off Kazjim, hope you heal quickly :angel:
  13. Very little. About the only thing that would lessen the severity would be to take your hands off the bars and lean back. This will take weight off the front of the bike, reducing the steepness of the angle, and it should recover. Oh, and as silly as it may sound, but if you relax, and don't tense up, then the bike has a better chance of recovering.

Almost no road bike made in the last 25 years would be prone to it in a random sense. If it occurs at all on any modern bike, it's usually due to external factors, such as a major mechanical fault, or something hitting the bike like the accident description above, or perhaps hitting a rather large object with the front wheel (rock, chunk of wood, etc).

If it occurs at all outside of that, then the issue is more likely to be that of bad suspension settings for the weight of the rider, rather than to be due to any inherent fault with the bike.

Every bike can be made to tank-slap given the right circumstances.

Don't do what some people do though, and mistake a wiggle through the bars under hard acceleration for tank-slapping. That's just the front wheel twitching and moving about due to a lack of sufficient weight on it to allow it to hold a straight line rather than deflecting with every pavement irregularity. Every bike will do that as well, given hard enough acceleration to the point that the front is barely in contact with the ground.
  14. Well dont get an 04,05,06 R1, an 04,05 ZX10 or K5-K6 gixxer because i have had them all and currently own three of said bikes and beleive me mate , they all shake there head at some time or another.
    As soon as it happen's just hang on like it's the first set of titt's you have ever squeezed!! DO NOT LET GO!
    I had one on my 02 R1 last year at about 170 on the spur and my feet and all came off the pegs and i was just about to give up and she came good!! Phew! LoL! Having said all that i would have to say that the 04-05 R1 was the most steady of them all i think.
  15. A head-shake is not a tank-slapper though. If you get a head-shake, then the best thing to do is to keep gassing it and hold on, yes.

I had a real tank-slapper on my old VTR1000 after a small high-side had me landing back on the bike. Compressed the front forks so much that it really started slapping, so hard that it broke both the steering head stops and the handlebars made 1" deep indents in the tank. No way you want to be holding onto the bars when that happens. I leaned right back and it had almost recovered, just before it left the track and the front wheel washed out on the grass.