Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tank sealant

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Oskar, May 12, 2012.

1. Can any one comment on, or recommend, a good tank liner for my cafe racer project? The tank is very clean inside but the slight mod may have introduced a pinhole or two. The seams seem OK but I'd rather be sure. I have bought some "KBS Gold" sealant but are there any problems with this compound? I'm mod-ing one of my '85 XJ900 bikes to a cafe racer just for the fun of it. I did a search for "tank liners" on the forum but it's really hard to find the references because the ref. doesn't show straight up, just the whole thread (I'm sure the reference would be in there somewhere), or maybe I'm not doing it right.

2. My tank had many leaks that I MIG welded as best as I could but it was still weeping. I used the KBS kit and it worked well. Just make sure the corrosion part of the process is thorough and after coating let the excess paint drain well as it’s not good when it is too thick and may bubble. I plugged large holes with rags wound tight with duct tape.

EDIT: http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/kbs-motorcycle-tank-sealer-kit
  3. PR1440 or AC240 two part polysulfied fuel and oil resistant. Google it. Costs about $25-40 a tube.

ZX6R oh yeah...
  4. I used the KBS kit and have had no problems after about 2 years. Just do the process exactly as per the directions. I used some metal putty on the exterior where I could see some pinholes before I used the kit. Don't throw away the water based degreaser or rust stop after using them, you will be able to reuse it on something else.