Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tank removal on 2009 CB400

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by aussiepyro, May 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. #1 aussiepyro, May 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
    Ok, classic newbie post - have done a bit of initial searching, but not 100% sure - I've undone the bolt in front of the seat and unclipped the electrical plug (assuming for fuel gauge) and have read and can see I need to disconnect the two small rubber hoses, that I need to carefully mark so as not to mix up when I reattach - but the question I can't seem to find the answer for given the lack of available service manuals, is - will the petrol just piss out of the tank when I disconnect them?

I found this from an old thread:

What I'm wondering is, does my 2009 CB400 count as a 'more modern bike' that means it won't run out if the engine's not on? And hence, can I just disconnect the rubber hoses and not have to worry about fuel everywhere?

Also, once I've done this, is it correct to just gently pull the tank toward the rear and up? I seem to recall seeing some sort of wire at the front left hand side near where the tank joins the front frame - is there some sort of lever/switch?

Cheers!

2. On most modern Japanese bikes, there is a three way petcock. Fuel will piss out if you have it on prime but not if you have it on Normal or reserve. On older bikes which are gravity fed you probably have normal reserve and off Fuel will piss out on normal and reserve but not off. This is the same advice as you found.

As a starting point if you have a prime position don't set it to that. If you have an off position set it to that. Then try and see and whatever the set up if fuel pisses out turn it to a different setting and it should stop.

3. These bikes are fuel injected, with a fuel pump I believe inside the tank. But I dont have an answer to your question, as I've also wondered the same on mine, and am too scared to remove it completely for that exact reason. I just lift it up a bit to get access to that I need too.

NedNed has certainly removed the tank, maybe he can help?

4. Nothing to be scared of. You will probably get it right based on the info above but just be ready to switch positions fast.

And when you lift the tank, do it slowly to check for anything still attached that you missed.

5. There is no fuel tap as far as I could see Dave. My gut feel is that there wont be any pissing out of fuel, as there may be a valve in the line that you disconnect, but I've been known to be wrong before too :)

6. Haha, that's always a possibility Gooza.

Yeah, that was the main thing that had me buggered, that I couldn't see anything that resembled any sort of tap/switch.

In that case I guess I'll have a crack at it after lunch then. Fingers crossed!

7. What exactly do you want the tank off for?

8. Replacing Air Filter. And maybe also to do a coolant flush/swap if I manage to pick some up today before the shop shuts.

9. On my Boulevard there is no tap just a fiddly snap connection that you squeee together to disconnect, just a bit of fuel dribbles out so a rag is handy, also helps if you have someone hold the tank as you disconnect it

10. I've done both those without complete removal of the tank. Did remove the 2 rubber hoses from memory to replace air filter, but neither was a fuel line.

For coolant, just need to lay the tank over the the left after releasing it from the front 'guides'.

Best of luck, post a piccy if you get it off completely.

11. I've taken the tank off mine completely a couple of times. Don't worry the fuel won't leak after everything is disconnected, I know because mine was at least half full when I took it off, lol.

Just undo the bolt at the bottom under the front of the seat, lift it up a bit to disconnect the wiring and the fuel line then pull the tank backwards and up. When you put the tank back on make sure the plastic clip on the fuel line clips back into the cutouts on the end of the connector otherwise the fuel line can come off. If you're not sure, pull on the fuel line after you install it to make sure it doesn't pop off.