Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tank removal Kawasaki ER-5

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by martyd, May 21, 2013.

1. Hi all,
    I thought my '99 ER-5 was vacuum-fed, since the petcock only has ON-PRI-RES, but when I pulled the (very cracked and brittle) line off the petcock, petrol went flying :( I bought some 3/16" (4.8mm) fuel line but this seems too small. I saw 6.5mm regular plastic tubing at SuperCheap, should I have bought that? (pics to come)

Now I have a bucket of fuel with a red/ruddy haze at the bottom - would this indicate some tank rusting? (pic to come) It's always looked fine from the top filler cap.

The wells around the plugs were full of junk-organic and otherwise but the first one looked ok to my untrained eye... (see pic)

Lastly, it's always been very loud, clangy, and rumbly around 4.8-5.8k revs. Not sure if it's normal but is it worth checking valves, carbs, and cam chain tension? I have a manual but it would be my first time. I recently overhauled the front caliper without much issue, but the cam chain seems like it could be trickier.

Attached Files:

2. Probably water, some condensation happens in the tank as temperature and humidity changes. If it is excessive check the seals around the filler and possibly the tank vent to see that you are not getting rain water migration in through a bad seal.
  3. It's rude not to introduce yourself.