Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tanami Track

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Daniel Gerber, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone's ridden the Tanami Track, unsupported?
    I guess any type of bike would be OK (from what I can see it's not very extreme dirt riding) right?, but it seems to be over 800 km between servos. How hard would it be to carry that much fuel?

I want to ride around Australia but don't want to use up many of my annual leave days doing it. I have a crazy idea of riding from Melbourne to Alice one weekend, leaving the bike there and flying back, then tkaing a four-day weekend around Melbourne Cup and using that to fly to Alice and ride to Broome via the Tanami, fly back from Broome and fly back over Christmas and have a week riding up there. Is this idea totally insane? If not, does anyone want to join me?

2. You're not the bloke from Wolf Creek are you ?
  3. Have a look at @http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32. theres a lot of info within.
  4. I've carted fuel on the Tanami Track if that counts.

It was an AB Quad though....given the way that it steered I probably would have run over any motorcyclists.
  5. #5 Daniel Gerber, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
    thanks sleepa, I might post the question there. At a quick glance I don't see anything there about the Tanami - were you referring to any particular thread? I'm especially interested in information about carrying fuel (ie how much fuel one would need [how much fuel economy differs on a track like that cf asphalt] and how much one can practically carry in bladders, etc)

haha, not yet. The Tanami Track goes through Wolfe Creek.