Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tamworth to Yass

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by smokin, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Has anyone ridden from Tamworth to Yass,I was wanting information on the road condition and best places to refuel/eat?

2. G'day smokinsmokin. I'm not sure of the particular route you intend but there are good cafés at Mudgee (about the halfway point on the attached route). I like the Butcher Shop Café at Mudgee. Bathurst and Cowra would also have plenty of offerings.

Between Tamworth and Coolah, I'm not certain of where the best place or availability of of 95 RON fuel is. From Mudgee and on, it should be available at Bathurst, Blayney, Cowra and Booroowa.

The central west region of NSW has, like many other places, had high rainfall over the Winter. Subsequently, road surface conditions are variable (read: lavishly pot-holed), including highways. They are being patched with varying levels of rapidity. If the weather starts to dry out the roads should progressively improve over the next month or two.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Couple of other options for you too — I'm quite a fan of the 'road less travelled' so these are definitely not the shortest or fastest routes, but possibly more interesting from a riding perspective.

Option 1: The Putty & Bells Line
    Don't think I really need to say more than 'the Putty' here. Go via the New England Highway to Singleton (boring, trucks, mining machinery). Head down the Putty towards Windsor (longest between fuel ~160 km, but an incredibly fun, well-maintained road even though its in the middle of nowhere). Grey Gum cafe is more-or-less halfway along it when you need a break. Fill up at Colo Heights then take Blaxlands Ridge Rd across to join Bells Line of Road at Kurrajong which avoids actually having to deal with Richmond/Windsor. Take Bells Line out towards Lithgow & there's lots of options to Yass from there, including via Jenolan Caves. This is a big day however & not for the faint of heart or soft of buttocks.
    upload_2016-9-17_22-8-59.

Option 2: Bylong Valley
    Take the New England to just north of Muswellbrook, then across to Sandy Hollow > Bylong > Rylstone. Options from there are either Bathurst or Lithgow and on to Yass.
    upload_2016-9-17_22-13-21.

There are definitely ways to shorten both these routes, depending on whether you're up for the occasional stretch of dirt or whatever. Usual caveats about country roads apply, especially after the rain as XJ6N has already pointed out. I did the New England Highway in the car about a fortnight ago and it would have been fine on the bike.

4. There has been an incredible amount of rain out there and more to come.West of Tamworth all the creeks are pretty full and The Namoi is well and truly up at Gunadar