Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Talk to family and friends.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Rolkus, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Well I've only been riding for the better part of six months now.

Written off one bike (at 30kmph) and now onto my second, which is an amazing two wheeled machine!

One thing I've been doing, is talking to my family and friends, about my encounters and near misses.

One thing I believe has opened their eyes.

My missus looks for motorbikes now, she previously didn't, but she completely away of them while driving. This is probably because I scared her with the stories of cars merging into my line and stories like that.

Not horror stories, but stories where you simply waved to the driver who almost wiped you off the road. Give them stories on how drivers could have improved in each situation, and it almost always comes down to taking their time and looking before acting.

Anyhow, I believe it works, and people should try it. If it makes 10 people more conscious of bikes, then you've done a job well done.

2. I actively do this.
    just realized that my mum never does head checks when changing lanes...
  3. Can be a double-edged sword though. Good that your family & friends look at it as an educational eye-opener but it could start the "See, I told you riding is dangerous... you're mad wanting to ride a motorbike on the road" argument.

Just remember, some (or all) of your near misses might be due to your own actions. Critique how you position yourself on the road and how you behave (anticipate, cover etc.) around other road users, lean from your mistakes and adjust your riding style as need be.
  4. taboo for me.
    only causes them worry.
  5. yeah a bit taboo for my family too but I do always mention it to friends. When I learnt to drive I had an instructor that was so strict on head checks and I still do it every time 20yrs later. The number of people that don't do head checks even on their P's pisses me right off and whenever I have the chance I make sure they are reminded in no uncertain terms.
  6. Agreed it can be a double edged sword!

However in my household, we've gone from motorcycles explode on contact with air to motorcycles are dangerous because there are so many sh1tty drivers out there. In my books that's a step forward.
  7. I try to keep my mouth shut about it to my partner. She knows the dangers, so i reflect on the good things that i enjoyed that day.

She is more interested in how much pleasure it gives me, instead of how many close calls i might have had.

But i agree, that enducating family and friends is an important thing to do.
  8. noone in my family gives a shit so i never open my mouth
    friends do though, but i give them enough to worry about without mentioning my riding
  9. hahahahahaha brilliant line !!
  10. A step forward I think.

I suspect part of the problem is that outsider observers see 'near misses' and 'hairy moments' in perfectly normal use. They see my gently amusing pace through a wide sweeper as homicidal attack mode. They see my casual knee dangling a disinterested 120mm off the surface as pissing in the eye of fate. But the moments that sped my pulse - and not in a good way - when Kevin back out of his driveway and Wendy nearly missed her turn off, those moments never even made their radar, because they didn't know I was there.

My perception of what a 'moment' is, is very different to Barbie and Ken's perception, and unfortunately there are a lot more Barbie and Ken out there than kneedragons. And the fuckers not only vote for imbeciles, they breed! So they and their myriad offspring clog and jam the roads such that rules banning pleasure become redundant. You can't drag your knee in a traffic jam.