Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking your bike to get serviced 'tips'

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by dje, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Remove fairings before you go:
    One time I went to get my bike serviced I aksed them what was involved in a full service and how much. The first thing I was getting charged half an hours labour for was removing the fairing!
    Half an hour!

It was an fzr250. Took me 5 minutes per side max and 5 mins max for the rear piece and seat too.

Some things we cant do ourselves because we dont have the tools, etc...
    Changing oil and sparks are easy enough to do yourself, but only between services because good mechanic's will notice other details on your bike that may need attention (and a bad mechanic will make up some other details on your bike that do need your money for fixing cough* cough*).

Any other ideas?

MOD - moved to Mechanical, Maintenance, and Appearance 25/08/06
  2. Don't start telling your mechanic what's wrong with the bike (unless it's a regular problem and you know it). Tell him what it's doing and what you're not happy with then let him/her diagnose the problem and fix it. You wouldn't go to the Doctor and say "I have a strep throat give me penecillin" (unless it's happened a few times before). They are the ones qualified to detirmine the problem and often it's faster if you give symptoms without your theories (unless asked to). :)

If you know particular jobs have to be done and parts will be needed, tell them when you book in and book in with plently of notice. :)

Develop a friendly, frank and honest relationship with your mechanic. If you don't spread bullshit, it won't come back to you and you'll be well looked after. :)

If you don't understand, then ask. Polite questions show you have an interest in your bike, and in caring for it. You'll likely learn something by asking and will be less inclined to feel work was unnecessary. This helps build your relationship with your mechanic. :)
  3. Subtly mark all your consumables (plugs, filters etc) with an indelible marker. I have twice caught them out charging me for a paper air filter that they only blasted clean with an air-line, and once for an oil filter. Not recently though I admit, and never the BMW guys, who would lose their factory accreditation for tricks like that.
  4. Very good idea.
  5. also specify in what you want done..
    ie plugs, oil, oil filter, rad fluid, sync carbies/throttle bodies etc
  6. This might be going deeper than you are interested, but if not, go out and buy your bike's repair manual and start reading. You may not want to do the work but you will have a small clue as to what happens when something is done. I'm getting into doing all my own work and a manual is one of the most important tools to doing the job right.
  7. why dont use netriders partners for services like redline in dandy .. if they are partners discounts .. they must be trust worthy .. right or am i wrong
  8. Ive got one. dont listen to other people when they say go here..
    They end up doing things that arent required.

9. Give them a written list of what you want fixed or attended to.

Tell them to phone you for approval for any other work that they advise needs to be done.

Tell them that you will want to inspect any parts they replace (a good mech will offer this anyway).

When you get the invoice, go over each item. Anything you don't understand, ask for an explanation. If it wasn't requested or approved, politely decline to pay for it.
  10. Here Here.

I read the Haynes manual before I go too sleep at night. Sad I know.
  11. I have spoken with someone who uses clear nail polish for this purpose.
  12. I have spoken with someone who uses clear nail polish for this purpose.
  13. If you feel the bike shop is ripping you off, steal as many tools as you can from the bastards work shop and deliver a brake fluid bomb to the show room.

Document your reprisals and make the threat clear to the next bike mechanic you choose.

Maybe my opinion is biased, but I have a lot of really nice tools : )
  14. Why would your threaten you bike mechanic? I am a mechanic....

Just as a question....what do you think would happen, if the mechanic you just threatened....were to accidentally nick your front brake line the next time you really needed it??? They can hurt you a lot more than you think....

There are ways and means of getting your way without threatening them.

I'm 6'4....147kg....and I don't take kindly to threats.....it's much easier to discuss it with me than to threaten me :?

For the record, I am no longer a motorcycle mechanic....I fix other crap these days :wink: