Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking the number plates off !?!?!?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by shadowarrior, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Today in Lonsdale St. Melb, I saw some 5-6 cops and 2 cop cars parked near my uni.
    I was a bit curious and stood near my parked bike to get a glimpse of the action.

There was a white 4wd BMW in the parking lane, with a lady driver, and 2 cop cars parked behind it. The cops were talkin to this lady, and then, one of the cops took out both the number plates of the white BMW. After some 5mins, all the cops left....

3 hrs later, (now) the lady was still there, sitting inside her car..talking to some1 on her phone and crying....

Wondering what kind of an offence did she do, that the cops took off her number plates ?
    If she was a criminal...they wudve taken her....if the car was stolen, they wouldve taken the car...but why number plates? :|

Any body have any idea about this ?

2. Right plates, wrong car?

Lots of unregistered cars out there on the road. Sure some have plates on ‘em , but it don’t mean it’s legit.

3. if the vehicle is unregistered they take your plates.

4. a new car ?? :|
    and if they take the plates off...i ll just go nd register the car next day and get another set of plates...why was she crying so much about it ? or was she getting too emotional about being caught by the cops ?

any other cases lodged against her for this ?

5. She was driving an unregistered vehicle on the road.

A little bit different from not having the pleasure of gracing your bumpers with numberplates.

There would be a fine with that.

6. was she hot :worthlesspics:

7. I once saw two cops walking down Brunswick Street Fitzroy taking number plates off all the unregistered parked cars - they had so many they could hardly carry them! :LOL:

8. Interesting that something as exxy as an X5 (I assume) is running around unrego'd. Then again, some people are apallingly sloppy about paperwork.

Though I s'pose there are quite a wide range of reasons why rego might be void. The classic one is bouncing a cheque on the licensing authorities.

9. How new?
    If it was at least 12 months old then maybe they'd simply not paid their rego renewal (or moved without updating their details and therefore not received a renewal).

10. I once saw two cops walking down Brunswick Street Fitzroy taking number plates off all the unregistered parked cars - they had so many they could hardly carry them! :LOL:

11. I recently spent three months riding a brand new (unregisted) bike because the lazy pricks didn't process the paper work.. if the cops took my plates km's from home I would shed a tear too... and then beat the snot out of who was responsible!

12. titus once saw two cops walking down Brunswick Street Fitzroy taking number plates off all the unregistered parked cars - they had so many they could hardly carry them! :LOL:

13. Ktulu once saw titus once see two cops walking down Brunswick Street Fitzroy taking number plates off all the unregistered parked cars - they had so many they could hardly carry them! :LOL:

14. Actually.....
    Ktulu twice saw titus once see two cops walking down Brunswick Street Fitzroy taking number plates off all the unregistered parked cars - they had so many they could hardly carry them! :LOL:

Whereas:
    Spots only once saw Ktulu twice saw titus once see two cops walking down Brunswick Street Fitzroy taking number plates off all the unregistered parked cars - they had so many they could hardly carry them! :LOL:

Oh my, all this see/saw'ing is giving me a headache! :LOL:

15. I just saw dgat say 'Spots only once saw Ktulu twice saw titus once see two cops walking down Brunswick Street Fitzroy taking number plates off all the unregistered parked cars - they had so many they could hardly carry them! :LOL:'

when what I should have seen dgat say was: 'Spots only once saw Ktulu twice see titus once see two cops walking down Brunswick Street Fitzroy taking number plates off all the unregistered parked cars - they had so many they could hardly carry them! :LOL:'

*nod*

16. To answer the OP, once your 14 days grace period after your rego has expired is gone - so can your plates.

People who move often fall for this trap. The coppers take the plates to prevent the car being driven anywhere (at least by honest people). To let the car be driven opens huge liability/insurance issues should anything happen.

17. Trophy wife separated from stock broker husband. He is still paying the bills, theoretically, until the divorce is finalised, and the significant settlement paid. He actually just got wiped out in the mini stock market crash, which was why he couldn't give wife enough money to keep her happy, which is why she left. He never admitted he was broke.

Husband receives registration renewal for X5, thinks a moment, throws it in the bin.

One month later, calls cops to tell them where the car is. :shock: :twisted:

18. :rofl:
    You run through that like you've been there, Rod. :wink:

19. Close. I watched it happen after the 1987 stock market crash. Like a train wreck in slow motion.

20. Why would they take the number plates off? I can't understand why they wouldn't just stick an unregistered sticker on the windscreen like those defective vehicle ones. If the owner goes off and drives the car, which a lot of people do, without the number plates the vehicle is unidentifiable!