Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking the next step, need some advice

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by melbillmatic, May 12, 2012.

1. Woo so i have made it to the end of my 3 months on the Ls, despite disbelief from my entire family and friends, i'm loving the bike and starting to think about the next machine to get my hands on.

The critical stuff i'm looking for in bike number two:
    • I have a VTR250 and really love the look and feel of a naked so would probably prefer another one, but then again being a male in their 20s the lure of a supersports is also hard to resist
    • The bike will be used as a primary form of transport for commuting a 60km round trip through peak hour traffic in the city and along freeways
    • As i'm getting used to 27km/L i'm hoping it could stay this way :p
    • In terms of cost I would probably try and keep it below $10,000

Oh and the main reason for upgrading is really I would just like more power.

Any suggestions/ advice would be seriously appreciated at this point. Too. Much. Choice!
  2. If you want a good bike with power that is LAMS, you have to check out a cb400.
  3. Suzuki's gsx650f lams bike is a good performer and looker.
  4. Thanks for the replies!

I was actually considering the CB400 especially after all the things I've been reading about it on the forums, do you think it's a big step up from the VTR250 though? I'm hoping to keep the next bike for at least 3-4 years hopefully.

And for the GSX650f, do you ever get cramped sitting on a sports? My friends that ride have similar bikes to myself so i don't really have much perspective from that side.
  5. If you want to keep the bike for a few years, I'd definitely go the cb400. I may be biassed though :D
  6. No, it's not.
  7. thought about keeping the 250 until you're off lams then get a bigger bike? commuting is commuting.
  8. The problemis the VTR250 makes good power for a LAMS bike and is a V-twin. Anything else you get in the LAMS category won't be a huge step up from the VTR, which is a great bike in it's own right!

Wait until you are off your P plates, then you can really upgrade!
  9. Stick with the vtr. It still has much to teach you.
  10. I'm with varsis, go the CB400 - but I am also biased :D.
  11. Keep the VTR Unless you've got a really good reason for selling it.