Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking the Horse by the Reins

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Black Betty, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Well - Bike by the Bars in fact.

Looked at the weather - gale force winds, crap all over the roads, threatening rain clouds, and nearly - nearly didn't get the bike out today.

But after my run up to Reefton & dealing with stuff on unfamiliar roads - figured its got to be a good thing to go and tackle this kinda stuff on familiar roads.

So first back roads out of Monbulk - covered in crap. Not just leaf liltter, but fallen logs, whole trees, etc. Obstacle avoidance has to be a good thing & there was so much stuff to avoid - the fixation problem didn't happen, just too much to look at.

Next - Worri Yallock to Cocatoo - 100km/hr straights with strong side winds. Not too much of a problem if its blowing you away from the white line, but a little unnerving if its blowing you into it. Also found leaning into a corner, when the wind decidied to help me straighten up again interesting.

Then onto Gembrook, Upper Packenham & Cocatoo to practising cornering. Neither the wind or crap on the roads too much of a problem. Concentrated on my lines, not going in to fast but down gearing correctly to get me out at a good speed. That's the theory anyhow, seemed to do o.k. -as in not crossing any white lines!

Back along the straight bits, backroads & home. 100km run. Not a bad practise circuit. Have found of late that Listening to what others Say, Seeing what others Do, as well as Reading the Theory, does Help in the actually being out there Practising bit.

So, Friday - looking good - wonder if I can get enough work done in the next 2 days to try that Black Spur again ..... :D
  2. Have to agree with you Betty...started out great this morning and by the time I got home I was just about on the edge of the tyres on the straights :LOL:
  3. I wanted to ride today. I opened the shed door with bike gear on and watched some small branches blow across the road as the big trees threatened to fall on our house. At this point I walked back into the house disappointed. This was about 7am, by 10am it looked a little more sedate. Maybe tomorrow will be a little newbie nicer....
  4. *edit*

I think if I got to the edge of the little tyres on the GS I would be on the bitumen :LOL:
  5. I've done that when its wet - the next gate I'm about to open - no more wuzzing out :D
  6. Funnily enough, the more riding you do, the better at it you get. Quite strange really isn't it? How do you learn to ride in the wet? The best way I have found is to wait for a rainy day, hop on the bike & go riding. Same with corners. Find the twistiest tightest up & downhill decreasing radius gravel strewn road you can, & go for your life. Chances are if you do drop it you will not be travelling really quick & will have a better than average chance of not getting hurt. I always say jump in at the deep end & swim like b@ggery. Worked for me. Main thing is -have fun :D
    P.S Go by yourself. No pressure that way.
  7. So right, experience, like your fraught little jaunt this morning, will teach you more than all the bench-racing you will do here. The old grey matter files things away for the same situation, and you find yourself doing things automatically instead of thinking about it. I sound like you had a real useful ride.
    Nice that SOME of the discussion and advice here is proving useful, though, makes the effort worthwhile for everyone.
  8. yeah, that's the go... you will be caught in nasty weather at some time, so best to experience it on your terms first.

I ride every day, rain hail or shine, as I use the bike for commuting to work.

Best thing about the windy weather is it teaches flexibility, you need to quickly shift your weight and position to keep the bike steady. And thats great practise for when the unexpected happens.

IMHO light rain on busy roads is the worst, gets an oily film all over and makes a great handling bike turn into a slug with polio. A practise ride in the wet is a definate must do.

9. I do go out quite a bit on my own to practise - but have also been lucky enough to be have some one on one rides with more experienced riders which has been envaluable. Not only do we discuss how I'm riding - but I also watch how they ride (except when they go for a bit of a hoon :shock: ) but thats cool - catch up eventually :D

Shifting around on the bike is something I'm only just learning to do. In the wind, tighter corners, etc. As I'm not overly heavy I didn't think it would make alot of difference - but it does!

And I've been wuzzing out on the rain bit 'cos I live on a dirt road - which gets all that more slippering in the rain - oh well - gotta do it sometime (just not today :p )