Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

taking off from a hill

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by kursed, May 24, 2007.

1. well I got my yamahaha delivered tonight, after sitting on it for a while and familiarising myself with all the controls, I gave it a quick clean and took it for a spin.
    I seem to be able to take off relatively ok from flat ground but as soon as I encountered a stop sign on a bit of a hill I had a hell of a lot of trouble taking off. I recall from my course I had to use the back brake instead of front and kind of find the sweet spot with both the brake, throttle and clutch to get enough power to move forward smoothly - but we never actually practised it, it was just mentioned in passing. Now I want to learn a good way to do it so does anyone have a few good tips to follow when I try again tomorrow? :oops:

2. Search tool is your friend :)

Back brake, fast idle (probably something like 1.5x whatever revvs you use for take off on a flat surface slowly), clutch to friction point. Gradually let off back brake, clutch out smoothly, left leg up after you start moving

3. rev to 10k and dump the clutch.

i mean, what phizog said :LOL:

4. Good advice from Phizog, just keep practicing and you will soon be doing it easily. Back brake, a bit extra revs and slowly/smoothly let clutch out and foot off brake.

The Zeal is a very easy and forgiving bike to ride, you'll be right :)

5. Hahaha, I like it!

6. It's nothing more than practice....and getting to know your bike.
    After a week or so, you will have it nailed...so practice practise...even if it means finding a car park with a bit of slope to train yourself on.

7. well on the course you were meant to do slow speed ridding with clutch at friction point and fast ide with brake as speed control... if so this is no different. Find friction point with rear brake well on, give it some power until you feel the bike trying to move forware under you, at this point start releasing the brake a little bit and increasing power as the RMP will start to fall as the bike has less resistence from the break. Keep releasing the brake and then the clutch and your off ...

takes practice!

hope this helps

8. Hey kursed - I can remember they told us all about hill starts in our learners - but it wasnt until I hit the hill after Toorak Road goes over the Monash - that I realised that theory was a little bit harder when put on the spot...

My first time at a hill start (and this hill is relatively steep with traffic lights at the top :shock: ) was pretty appalling - I knew I was supposed to keep the back brake on - rev and hold at the biting point and let the clutch out - however I couldnt get the balance right... :cry:

As that road was on my way to work - I encountered it every morning - which forced me to practise...and sure enough after a few clumsy efforts - it got easier and easier - until it got to the stage where I wasnt even thinking about the hill start...

Seriously, the only things I can recommend are to practise - and dont panic...TwinGirl told me she was taught how to do a hill start using the front brake at a course she took - I'm yet to get her to teach me that new trick :shock:

9. Rear brake? I suppose it makes more sense for learners, so that is what they say at a course. But what if you can't put your left foot down on a slope with big camber on the road?

I use my front brake, because then I can have either foot down, or both. It also means that I can have my left foot ready to pop up a gear before I hit the rev limiter on the bike. :twisted:

Methodology:
    . Front brake on while waiting, in first gear or not.
    . Select first when lights are near changing. If at a stop sign, have it in gear and ready to go when you get a clear road.
    . Give the engine some revs, usually a bit more than required for a flat road start. Use your palm only, or just thumb and index finger. Your three other fingers are holding the brake on.
    . Let the clutch out to friction point.
    . Give it some more revs, and release the front brake a little.
    . Release the clutch a little more. You are moving.
    . Let go the brake, give it all its got, and notch up a gear before the front wheel comes down. Nah, just kidding. But balance is a bit harder on a steep hill start, so don't be a slouch getting going.

Practice, practice, practice.

Secrets:
    Higher revs, good clutch control, throttle control with palm or two fingers.

10. awesome advice. I just went out for a ride then and practiced it with the rear brake until it started getting easier... yes they did teach me about the rear brake + higher revs for hills or slow manouvering it was just the actual 'doing' of it that was proving a bit sketchy. mind you it was my first ever ride on a road that had more angle than the basketball court flatness you learn on at HART :)

FUN FUN FUN

I will try this front brake version once I am a bit more down with the basics..

11. If going straight ahead, clutch in first gear, rear brake on. Lift revs slowly let clutch out till friction point, slowly let rear brake of till bike starts to move then take of as normal.

If turn....turn your wheel in the direction of travel and follow the above steps. Turn your wheel in the direction of travel before you take off will allow you to take the corner smoothly and nice and tight.

12. i started practicing the front brake version of this last night, seems like it allows you to keep your balance on the bike a bit easier. I think I'll keep practicing it this way if it's what you are supposed to progress too from the learner version.

13. Practise is all, and it will come really quickly.

Try it on level ground. Back brake on, raise revs slightly and let out the clutch until you feel the back of the bike start to squat a little - that's the point you want and the point you can release the brake and begin to go forwards.

Try it and see.

14. Good on you Kursed. By the way, I said control the throttle with thumb and index finger above, but these days it is actually more like thumb, palm, fourth and fith (little) fingers, so that my second (index) and third fingers control the brake.

I checked what I was doing after the last post. :grin:

15. ma gawd I just got back from a nice long 2 hr ride - I finally left the side streets of chatswood and ventured out onto main roads - wasn't as bad as I thought....

OK infact I had a motherf*&in blast.
    This riding thing is so much fun I want to do it all day everyday.

My girfriend (while supportive) is already counting up the time she won't be seeing me on weekends anymore... :arrow: :oops:

heheh AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA