Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking care of your ears: any tips?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by PeterPorker80, Aug 12, 2013.

1. So I recently got a new muffler and had taken a bike on a long-ish ride yesterday. It sounds fantastic but I'm still not accustomed to the volume.

Even right now, about 16 hours after the ride, my ears feel a little raw. No ringing or anything; just feels delicate... like someone had been yelling next to my ear.

Other than to tough the fck up, what should I do to protect my ears going forward? I've got some crappy ear plugs but I'm going to step out at lunch and try to find good ones. Any recommendations what's a good brand and where I can get it in the Sydney CBD? Also, got a wind jammer from eBay to cut down on the noise (though I imagine, as the name suggests, that's just for wind).

What else do you guys use besides ear plugs?

2.  Top
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I love these..
    http://earmold.com.au/Earplugs-Disposable-Re-useable/Hearplugz-DF-Single-Pair.html

Adjustable attenuation.. 3 sizes. (i can help with picking a size via pm) you can still hear details around you. especially in helmet headphones.. they dont drown out noise.. they just let less of it through.. so you still get the whole frequency range.. just less of it..

Washable.. warranty for a year..

I tried the DIY ear molds which would have worked IF i had of pinned back my ears while they were setting.. as my helmet holds my ears flat to my head it moves the ear mold back in my ear and creates a gap allowing noise through at the front of my ear..

I would hate to think that this might happen with the pricey professional molds.

4. You can buy boxes of disposable earpugs (you might get a week or so out of a pair)

Find yourself a PPE shop, buy one of each kind that they sell in bulk, try them, decide which one works best for you and buy a box of 'em.

I use these...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5.  Top
  6. There are a few threads on ear plugs. But in short, wear ear plugs, the type doesn't matter as long as they are comfortable and reduce the amount of noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. One thing to keep in mind if you're new to disposable plugs is they must get way down in your ear canal to be effective. A typical mistake is to twist and push and call it job done. For me I have to twist, stuff them in my mouth, hold my ear open with one hand and insert with the other, and hold while the plug expands. Such that only a small amount of the plug is visible in my ear. The rest is way down there. Almost hurts to take them out and must be done slowly. I got a mate who just pinches and pushes such that they are just sitting in there and they are probably doing more damage due to the sound resonating around the plug and ear canal.

Moldex "spark plugs" are the only level 5 rated disposables I've found.

8. I had unused foam ones at home that I tried this morning. A little uncomfortable and sound blockage could have been better.

I went to Billy Hyde at Pitt St just now and had a look at the only ear plugs they had, etymotic ear plugs. It reduces sound by 10db while still maintaining clarity. Gave it a miss.

I picked up silcone ear plugs from the chemist. Will give these a whirl tonight. Rated to 25db reduction!

9.  Top
  10. eBay! Get various different types, try em and see which ones work for you, then buy heaps of them.

11. +1 for moldex Spark Plugs.. I think about $30 for a box of 200 from RSEA

Chuck em out at the end of your ride so you dont ram dirt and gunk down your ear hole :)

12. Earmolds work fine for me, but it does or did involve a ride out to Blacktown to have them fitted and made, around 1/2 a hour. $80 something. Rotate your jaw horizontaly a few times, a couple of mins into the setting; and wear your helmet too if you think that it may be altering the shape of your luggers. I had a earphone installed in the left one only just so as to listen to GPS., because HTF else are you going to hear it.

13. I use noise canceling earbuds by Audio-Technica, about $100 on eBay. They work well to cut down on exhaust and wind noise, but let through other sounds. I have a Scala Rider Bluetooth headset and I can hear the helmet speakers - whilst I have the earbuds in- with no problem. They come with different sized ear pieces plus some foam ones.

I did have a problem with them rubbing on the helmet speakers. The two hard surfaces rubbing together transferred the sound straight down my earhole. Putting the removable foam piece from the helmet (Shoei Neotec) back over the speaker fixed that right up.

Other minor issue is that you have to jam them right in, otherwise the wind on the helmet, especially on the ST3R, kind of pushes it back on your head and can make the earbuds move slightly, letting in some more noise. It's still got some cancelling going on, so not as loud as as bare naked ears, but above about 80km/h you find out if you got them in properly.

I liked them so much I bought a pair for the lady, who likes them as much as I do. She finds keeping them in place whilst getting her helmet on a bit more tricky, but doable.

14.  Top
  15. disposable earplugs are fine, get a big box for cheap on the net, you will be set for years.

My bike is stupid loud, and basic foamies from bunnings do me fine for 15 hr stints.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Goddamn it, Earmold have an agent in Horsham, I passed through there Sunday/Monday, wish I'd have looked it up sooner. I just bought a $30 pair of Sony in-ear earphones, they worked decent enough, hard to keep in properly putting the helmet on. Will definitely try Earmolds though when I can, the wind noise was still pretty brutal.

17. I'm a classical musician and I also use the moulded plugs. Incredible piece of kit.

No one else has mentioned it, but it really is vital to look after your ears. They will never harden up, you will just lose the use of them faster.

That is some of the reason I bought a quiet bike, but that is a matter of personal preference, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Another vote for Moldex Sparkplugs. Easy to fit, and very effective.

19. Awesome on the Sparkplugs. Way cheaper than Ebay! I think the most comfy are the Howard Leight "Laser Lite" but only rated 4 so I would use these if my bike were a little more quiet than it is but atm I need as much reduction as possible.

20. So I got these 3 (the fourth pair, the orange ones, I had at home).

IMG_2314.JPG

Sparkplugs ($1.50) on URHS, Airsoft Ear Plugs ($8) on LRHS, and silicone ear plugs on LLHS ($2.95).

The airsoft are the most comfortable but least effective. The sparkplugs don't block out as much as the silicone but are more comfortable than the silicone.