Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking break from riding, what to do with my bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Omarko, Jul 16, 2013.

1. #1 Omarko, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
    Hi all,

Not sure if I am posting this in the right section but here it goes.

Looks like I am placing riding on hold for few years, not sure how many but could be a long time. I am exploring what options I have with my bike.

It’s a 2008 CBR 600RR which I love dearly and it also has the following mods :

Leo Vince SBK Slip on
    Power Commander III – Dyno tuned (110hp at wheel)
    K&N Filter
    OGGY Knobs
    Techspec High Fusion Tank pad
    Side Tank Grip pads
    Rizoma Zero-11 indicator lights at the front
    Integrated tail light mod
    Tripage Fender eliminator
    Rim tape
    HID lights conversion (8000K)
    Scorpio Alarm system SR-i900
    Painted rearsets and passanger pegs (black)
    Sprockets F:15T R:42T (Driven Black)
    Speedohealer V4
    Rizoma rear indicators Track-77
    Rizoma Sportline Billet grips – black
    Rizoma Bar ends w/handlebar caps & sliders MA506 – black
    Rizoma mirrors (Prototype Sport)
    Pazzo Adjustable Shorty Levers
    Carbon fibre heel guards, chain guard, rear hugger, heat shield
    Galfwer wave rotors front and rear
    Braided brake lines – red

24k kms on the clock and in showroom condition. As you can see, I put in lot of time and money into it and would really hate to see it go.

However, if I stop riding regularly, what does it mean to my bike in terms of its condition (e.g. engine)? I mean I can take it out for a spin once every few months however, the cost of insurance and rego equation is a challenge ($2k per year) so it’s not really a viable option especially if I am not riding it regularly for 5+ years.

I’m feeling bit heart broken as I don’t want to let her go but I don’t see many options. If I could find her a good home, I might possibly live with it but still, it’s a tough decision. Also, not sure what she would be worth with all the mods which really only a true enthusiast would appreciate them.

What are your thoughts guys ? Sell ? If yes, what can I get for her? Or keep in which case, what do I need to do to maintain her over next 5-10 years?
  2. Do you have to sell because of money?
    If not then hang on to her for a little while.
    Right now it is obvious you don't want to let her go, just yet.

As for long term storage, I'm sure someone with mechanical knowledge will be able to help. I'd say the tyres would need attention after a long sit, but as for ongoing maintenance I'm no expert so can't advise you on that one.

However just by reading your post, without knowing the story behind your reason for not riding, I'd say hang on to the bike for as long as you can...
  3. #3 Omarko, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    Ok, to provide more clarity, we are expecting our first , twins actually and Feelings of responsibility that now spans beyond just myself are starting to rise.

I have been riding for 17 years and during those had quite few close calls which are a bit of a wake up call with the little ines on the way.

I dont need the money but if i wont ride it, no matter how much I like the bike, its a depreciating asset.

Also, I havent ridden regularly already for last 4-5 months so I have been facing this dilemma for a while.
  4. While I can see you have spent a lot of time and money getting the bike the way you want it, it isn't a rare or notably collectable bike. I'd say sell, put the money in the bank and buy something else when you are back.

Looking at bikesales.com.au it is probably worth around $8k to $9k and will be worth quite a bit less in 5 years. Never expect to get money back on mods and very few mods will increase the value of a bike.

If you keep it, you can get insurance from companies like Shannons for low use vehicles which may save you hundreds of dollars per year.
  5. As SevenSins said, depends on the reason as to why you are not riding. If it's due to financial reasons, sell it.

If you plan on keeping it, maintenance can actually be more fiddly, especially if it is not run regularly. Rubbers go hard and brittle if they just sit there and the fuel system will gum up causing injectors/carbies to sometimes be blocked...so emptying the fuel system and spraying something into the tank to keep it from rusting is advisable. The bike should be off the ground to stop tyre flat spotting, although after 5 years, it is recommended to change tyres anyway.

Remember the cost of keeping a bike stored with rego/insurance won't change much. You still have to give it an oil and coolant change. Keeping the engine running every so often is a good idea to keep everything lubricated.
  6. It's a depreciating asset and will only lose value for sitting in the shed. Maybe keep it until spring and sell when more buyers are around.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sell it, make babies, get another one when you are old and grey like me. Congrats on the twins by the way and have fun being a dad.
  8. #8 Omarko, Jul 16, 2013
    Well that’s the issue, I don’t want to be paying for insurance and rego and CTP if I am not riding it, its $2k per year so if I’m not riding for 5-6 years, I can save the $12k for maybe a new bike plus the cash I would get from the sale.

I can service it myself but if its not registered, I can’t ride it so whats the point.

I had a look on bikesales and yes, they seem to go for $8-9k with one or two mods but surely I can get lot more than that if I can find a true enthusiast that appreciates what has been put into the bike?

I know people are saying that mods don’t add value but I spent over $8k on the mods and that’s significant investment vs lets say just putting a $500 slip on on the exhaust.

I might be better off stripping some of the mods and put stock stuff back and sell the mods separately.

I’m in no rush but need to make a decision on this whether to sell or keep and I have been procrastinating already for quite a while.

The bike is on stands btw and I did a minor service before putting it up, disconnected the battery and added fuel preservant to a full tank of fuel.
  9. Best idea yet. To the OP I've gone through exactly what you are when my first child and then second child came along. Weigh it up carefully. If it's something you love doing and you stop because of the children you may resent your missus and children for it. My compromise would be to invest in a decent amount of income protection to cover the what ifs. Explain to your other half that 17 years is a long time and obviously it is something you love. Explain how you are being responsible by getting income protection so that if the worst does happen at least you have some income.

Looking on it morbidly if the worst of the worst was to happen..do what I have done work out what you owe for say house car etc and add in possible education costs for the little ones. Then bump up your death and tpd on your superannuation to cover these costs...

There's never a right or wrong answer but only one that fits you. Don't let others make up your mind for you.

Take my suggestions as you will I'm no expert and I'm not sure what you do for a living or your personal costs. Maybe insurance might be too expensive. I had to settle for $10k a month as that's the max cover I could get for income protection. It's well short of my income currently pre month but I'd be able to adjust our lifestyle to make it fit.
    • Like Like x 2

10. as what Mcsenna said, make babies, enjoy, sell the bike , stash the cash, enjoy bikes later.
  11. #11 Omarko, Jul 16, 2013
    Thanks for your input and thoughts.

I have had many discussions with my wife about riding and no matter what I say, what statistics I show (me being one of them since I am still alive after 17 years) I cant get her to agree for me to ride. Since she is pregnant, this was adding extra stress for her so I stopped riding for now.

Yes I love it but I think I can do without it for a bit. Its just letting the current bike go. I know, its just a machine but we had such great last 5 years together on the road and track, lot of memories.

I already have income protection and life insurance that covers any debt but yeah, it’s a tough decision.
  12. Sell it for a fair price in the spring. If it is a five year wait, the proceeds from the sale plus 5 years worth of savings (insurance, reg, maintenance etc etc) will buy you one hell of a low km used bike in 2018. SuperDuke 1290 springs to mind 3:)
    Just be warned, my 5 years turned into 20.......
  13. best bet is going to be ride it or sell it there is not going to be anypoint storeing it for 5-6 years or the 3rd way is give it to one of us to look after for you ;)
  14. Ok let me elaborate a bit on my somewhat brief earlier statement. Your wife is all about the kids at the moment and that is natural. Having two babies will be a full time job involving sacrifice and stress. The last thing either of you need is the added distraction of something that, based on what you've said, will constantly rear it's head.
    Putting the bike away in the shed and telling her you wont ride it probably wont cut it either. Yeah you love your bike but wait till those little dudes show their faces, then you will really know what love is.
    Wait till things settle and if you still have the urge renegotiate down the track. Everybody looks at these things differently but that's how I see it for what its worth.
  15. A friendly tip; if you decide to put the bike back to stock you better do it before the twins turn up. Coz you won't be getting back in that shed for a while once they get home.
  16. There is really only one thing you can do.
    You need to donate your bike to an op shop so they can onsell it for a few dollars to a genuinely needy person.
    I can meet you at the RSPCA op shop in Pakington st. Newtown at 2pm today.
    See you there.
  17. As mentioned you wont get your cash back for the mods - and they're a personal thing. Some may like them, some may not - so you're also limiting your buyer market.
    Personally i like to look for a stock bike and do my own mods.

Can't you compromise with the other half and get a reliable trackie for your kicks in a safe environment? No insurance/rego to worry about and you can blatt around when you get the itch.

You could probably get an 08 for $5K (and there IS a couple of clean ones around for that money at the moment), swap out your lines/PC3/pipe/chain, etc and you're good to go with no more outlay and your bike goes back to stock.
  18. No offense, Lionz but I don't think telling his pregnant wife that he is going to a race track will calm her down :ROFLMAO:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Get a dirt bike - keep riding.
  20. I'm guessing most of that $2000 is the comprehensive insurance? I've never gone for comprehensive insurance. To me it's gambling at somewhere between $5.00 and $10.00 odds that I'm going to be responsible for a write off crash some time that year. I ride most days and I know that I'm a better rider than that and definitely not worth those odds.

If you go hell for leather every time you jump on bored than insurance is a no brainer but if you are a more sedate rider than I wouldn't bother with that cost.