Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking apart forks on the Virago

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ROAMER, May 4, 2005.

1. Hi all!!!

I just got my new dust seals for fork shocks as my old ones are all rotten and hard as plastic rather than rubber. I have drawings of the forks, but i never took them apart. Any advice on how to replace these dust selas or any general ones for taking forks apart???? I know that they have some oil inside etc etc. But I think I will manage to figure it out. Your help will make it much easier I'm sure.

Many thanx

2. It sounds like you need the help of a professional
  3. Not to me mate, just trying to make it easier for me.
  4. It isn't hard, but you need to be careful not to scratch any sliding parts and keep your work area clean to make sure you don't get grit in the fork.

I never tried the "quick and dirty" method described at http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/forkseals/ , but it certainly looks a lot easier than the traditional approach of disassembling the fork.

Other good resources are at

These describe the "traditional" way of doing the job.

Tip - be sure to close the drain screws before you refill the fork with oil. Gets me every time.
  5. As always, mr. Chairman on the spot!! Thanx mate!!!
  6. Profeosional help.....pft........... :LOL: All done!!! Oil seals had to be replaced as well since they were rotten as well, and I found traces of water inside forks. Thanx once more Chairman.