Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking a wheel to the shop

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Darmac, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Hi all... just got my rear wheel off and am planning to take it to the shop to have a new tyre put on.. ..first time for me .

Soooo...should i also be removing the chain sprocket and /or the brake disc or is that unnecessary?

2. Brake disc no.

But yes to your sprocket, cush drives and spacers. They all should come off without needing to unbolt anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Whatever you decide to remove from the wheel it may be easier to loosen the bolts of before you remove the wheel. If it happens to take a bit of effort to undo something it can be hard to get the wheel to stay still so you are just moving a nut/bolt once the wheel is off.

Also discs can be delicate little things and can warp if subjected to pressure. General advice is that once a wheel is off do not lay the wheel down with the disc touching the ground. Lay the wheel down on the non disc side. On a wheel with two discs put a couple of piece of wood down so that the tyres are on the wood and the discs aren't touching.

4. Completely unnecessary. Have taken in loose wheels half a dozen times with sprocket and discs on em.

Also sprockets and discs tend to be held on by Allen head bolts which are easy to strip if you don't have good quality tools. I'd suggest just leaving them.

jonnymacjonnymac what sprocket do you have that isn't bolted or screwed on? Never encountered that before.

5. I was a bit curious about that too. But then I have never taken a wheel off which had a sprocket on it so not that clued about this sprocketty stuff.

6. Sprocket is attached to the cush drive which simply pulls out.
    Then you remove the cush drive rubbers.
    They need to do that in the shop anyway to change the tyre.

Unless it's different on non sports bikes. I've only ever had sports bikes and have never seen any different to that.

7. And I change my tyre a lot.......

8. Dodgy pic stolen from the Web images-9.

9. Well I've learnt something today. Mind you most of my tyre changes were on a dirt bike so what Cush drive :p

10. Yes sorry no cush drive on dirt squirters......

I reckon I'd do 30 plus tyre changes a year......

11. My cush drive and sprocket stays attached with the chain on the swingarm, that's in my case a QD,quick detachable wheel.

12. Why would you need to remove sprockets or disks? Isnt it the shops job to deal with it.

13. Not disc's but sprockets they do. Not if they are bolted on but when attached via a cush drive they do.

14. Following on from JonnyM's pic the cush drive rubbers are 'loose fit'. I'd take the sprocket/cush drive out, and the rubbers to be on the safe side. Prevention is better than cure when it comes to possibly losing things.

IMG_0719[1].JPG IMG_0722[1].JPG

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. NihililNihilil you must have edited your post when I replied to it as that's not what I quoted....?

16. I've never taken the sproket (unless its in a cush drive) or rotor off for a tyre change.

Just make sure you remove any spacers or things that may fall off in transit and put them in safe place.

17. Aye when I remembered I haven't actually watched the whole process. Either way its never seemed like a big deal.

18. Thanks for the advice guys.. i dropped it in today with the sprocket and brake disc still attached.. mechanic said thats fine.

If any problems arise I'll let you'all know.

Getting the wheel back on aligned and chain tensioned should be another fun game.

19. You'll be fine mate. What bike is it?

As you walked away he muttered under his breath. Wish he brought it in without the cush drive and sprocket lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2