Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking a pillion passenger for the first time

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by robthewasp, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Any hints as im kind of stressed about dropping it or crashing on my first corner.

(Please no "dont" replies!)

2. Why not do what I did…
    Find a small Japanese girl who doesn’t speak much English.
    It’s not like she could complain…

O.K. To some more constructive advice. U Turns are bad until you get used to it.
    If you can find a rider with pillioning experience to take before you get an inexperienced pillion that is also useful.
    Start gentle and slow the same as when you first got on a bike.
    Leave yourself more braking distane.
  3. If small japanese girls are in short supply and your bike has a ventura or gearsack rack put your bag on with it sitting on the pillion seat and load it with phone books or similar. That way you can get an idea of how the bike will handle/accelerate/brake with the extra load.

Personally I also adjust the rear preload so that the rear of the bike doesnt sink as much due to the extra weight and give you that "power steering" feeling. If not sure dont adjust it go for ride, then adjust it and go for ride.

Having said that Falcon Lords method looks way cooler with a japanese girl on the back :LOL:
  4. just take it easy thats all. extra braking room. you need a bit more throttle and be as smooth as can be. your pillion also needs to come to the party so maybe try with someone who is a good pillion. you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
    and yeah slow tight carpark type turns are a bit of a munta at first
  5. [​IMG]

Practice makes perfect!
  6. Use search function and post in the right friggin thread! LOL

There's another exact same thread not that old.

Locked and moved from "general". Thanks to those NR's who responded helpfully.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.