Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Taking a dive

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Ljiljan, Apr 13, 2009.

1. http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/798681/steyn-smashes-free-diving-record

With one single breath, 92 metres down, Walter Steyn smashed the Australian free-diving record.

PHOTOS: See more photos here
    In just two minutes and 43 seconds, the 36-year-old this week extended his own record to retain the title.

Steyn previously held the record at 77 metres and last year won second place at the world championships for Dynamic no fins at 175 metres.

"I've always known I could dive deeper but in the past I've had equalisation problems that have often made me turn too soon," Steyn said.

"I'm absolutely stoked."

Setting the new Australian record during Vertical Blue 2009 at Dean's Blue Hole in the Bahamas, Steyn said the dive turned out to be easier than he expected.

"I got the tag from the bottom plate," he said.

Steyn's record-breaking efforts have been filmed on location by the under water film production company BlueEyeFX, which will document the invitational free-diving competition.

Photos: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/slidesho...ajax&subsectionid=152599&subsectionname=diver
    Pic 5: "Herbert Nitsch claimed his second world record, reaching a depth of 109m."

2. I once sat on the bottom of the swimming pool for almost 30 seconds :shock:

3. Did it have water in it?

4. I like your lateral thinking .... :grin: :grin: :grin:

5. I got the heebie-jeebies just READING that report, let alone imagining what it must have been like :shock:.

6. lol i still on occasion get all spluttery and have to cough up water in the shower! don't think free divings for me - plus the entire up close with nature in dark water freaks me out a bit

7. these guys are insane, can hold their breath for a good 10 min at rest, and force their pulse down to below 5 bpm. They also use weights to get a negative buoyancy which pulls them down, but they are not allowed to ditch the weights to help them come back up.

8. I thought this was going to be a topic about Italian Footballers screwing us out of the World Cup

italian_dive_oscar.