Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Take a Flat Tyre at speeds!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by YAMRAJ, Nov 18, 2005.

1. One of my biggest fears... Riding on the Fwy, clocking 110-120ks and the rear start to wobble... Holy Shit!#$#$ .

I've had few of those at 40-60ks, managed fairly well because of a lighter bike then. Wonder if someones had at higher speeds and how'd you control it..

Also on those lines whats the best puncture kit? Do you carry those fancy Co2 cylinders or just a patch kit and a hand Pump.. :)
  2. I carry an emergency plug kit ($45) with c02 just in case I'm in the middle of nowhere. Haven't had to use it so far, my one puncture hasn't leaked so I took it to a repair joint to get rid of the offending item and do a long-term plug job.

Good to hear you pulled it up OK.
  3. Had 1 go on me (deflated) at 100 kays back home in QLD when i first stated riding , about 87 i think and it scared the crappers out of me .Had no control so just let the bike follow a due course , which lucky for me was a cow paddock . The tyre wont just blow , but you will feel a difference with handling as it slowly deflates . Pull over straight away . Dont be a dumb arse like me and ignore it .
  4. Been riding since 66' and have never had a puncture on the go. Have come back to a flat when parked a few times though, from slow punctures.
  5. I've had two flats while on the move. One was many years ago on a Vespa. Lowish speed, and the bike just went all wobbly.

The other was on a freeway. The tyre was deflating fairly rapidly. The first I noticed was when I went to go around a curve at speed and the back wheel decided it would rather be over there.

I didn't touch the brakes, and kept a small throttle opening so that the bike slowed gradually as I drifted across the freeway. I managed to slow to a stop without capsizing and before I ran out of tarmac. Luckily it was a quiet evening on the Ring Road.

A cage driver stopped and gave me a lift to a servo to buy a can of aerosol repair gunk, then he drove me back to the bike. (He said that a bike had stopped to help him out once in the bush.)

Of course I hadn't had the bike long, and didn't know it was a tubed tyre, but the can of gunk got me to the first of a series of servos where I reinflated the tyre til I got home.

I'd hate to think what a front tyre blowout would feel like. I understand that most bike punctures are on the back wheel. Something to do with the front wheel passing over a nail/screw/sharp thing and tossing it up so that it is able to penetrate the back tyre that comes along very shortly afterwards.