Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tailgated by taxi + oil = crash

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by RatherCeebs, Sep 13, 2012.

1. All through this afternoon I saw heavy rain clouds rolling in, so I left work an hour early to try and get home before the rain arrived. It started raining as soon as I left the office, but even then I figured it'd still be better to leave then before both the weather and cagers' driving got even worse (I work in Sydney CBD so it's a real problem).

So I had just crossed the bridge, wound my way down to about one suburb away from home before I saw lights flashing from behind me. It was a taxi, pretty much right on my tail and continuously flashing his lights. This is a 50km/h residential zone and it was raining, so I was keeping it steady at about 40-45 just to be safe. I ignored him and continued on my way with this guy right on my tail for the next few minutes. Every so often I'd glance in the mirror and wave at him to move back. He didn't, of course...

There's this twisty bit that goes into my suburb, and this guy's still on my tail as I go over a speed hump. I braked, turned into a corner... and the guy flashed his lights at me again. I guess I got distracted - suddenly the bike was leaning over and I was skidding across the ground before hitting the sidewalk. In retrospect I think there was oil or something on the road, I've ridden up and down that road twice daily for the past 1-2 years and have never had issues in the past regardless of weather conditions.

Physically just a bit shaken, bruised legs, a couple of nasty scratches but that's about it. I always wear a layer under my jeans while riding so that probably helped. The jacket took the brunt of the fall but all I can see are two small gouges, woo! I'm honestly surprised how little I got injured, maybe the fact that the road was wet helped protect me a bit from abrasion.

Haven't had a look at the damage to the bike yet (I was pretty shaken and can barely remember the next 15 minutes) but it was pretty bad from what I saw. The bike was completely spotless until today as well...

What REALLY pissed me off though is that the taxi driver didn't stop. He actually sped up and went straight past me down the road. Thankfully the next two cars stopped to help me with the bike and one of the guys drove me home. Really nice of the guy, should have gotten his details to thank him.

Thoughts, opinions? What could I have done better?
  2. Feck sorry to hear that mate.
  3. Glad to hear your ok, if he was on your tail for a few minutes and you were travelling slightly under the speed limit there's no harm in pulling over and letting the taxi go past.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Work a full day.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. gotten the cabs number plate.

really sorry to hear that mate but glad you're ok.
  6. If you find yourself in that situation again, pull over or GET THE FOOK OUTTA THERE!!

Don't continue to ride with a nutter up ya clacker, holding the moral high ground with a nutter in a cage can never end well.

Hope you pull up ok, and your bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Glad you're relatively okay.

The important lesson to learn from this is never let other vehicles determine the speed you travel at. Either pass, or let them pass.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nod. (fark knows where my nod button has gone)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I'm with bigD. Pulling over would have taken less than 10 seconds and you'd be on your merry way 'riding your own ride' rather than having an asshole taking up most of your concentration.

Hope the bike isn't too banged up. And glad you're all good. Live to ride another day.
  10. I check in with a Bike related USA forum and they have a thread
    What do you carry and where

Far out it scan eye opener what they do over there but
    A glock under ya jacket would have sorted the turban
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I guess while I'm happy to move over to the slower lane on bigger roads, I've never let anyone pass me on a road with one lane before... the thought never really occurred to me.
    Cheers guys! Wish I could've got the cabbie's plate number though.
  12. damn taxi drivers
  13. It was wet and on a suburban street. If it occurs to you at the time it's best to pull over (Really depends on your mood IMO) but you shouldn't have to put up with that shit. And you can only hope the bastard of a cabby pulls 12 hour shifts and only spends his time off getting pissed. Hopefully his time on this earth will be short.
  14. Gee thats harsh,maybe the light flashing was the cab going over the speed humps.
    Hopefully your time will be short.
  15. I would have slowed down to piss the cabby off even more, but then people tell me that sometimes I have an attitude problem.
  16. I do that in the car, and even on residential roads idiots blow past doing well above the limit. I sure wouldn't be intentionally doing it on the bike!
  17. Could always try calling the cab company with a time and place it happened and lodge a complaint, with the amount of reporting in cabbies do id say theres a good chance that a logbook somewhere has the name of the driver,or narrows it down at the least.
  18. you should have thrown a used spark plug into the taxi's windscreen
  19. The sensible thing would be to just pull over and let him pass, since you were riding to the conditions and he was an impatient arsehole..

or you could of slowed down even more, or lightly tapped the brakes (so your light flashes) and annoy him till he ****s off..

i know when you were on the ground the last thing you would of been thinking was to get his numberplate.. but you should of and reported him to the cab company.. and the police (probably won't get you very far, as they don't really give a shit) as he didn't stop to render assistance..

he didn't hit you as such but he was a contributing factor..
  20. You've probably gotten it by now, but the repeated advice to pull over is very sound. Sure, it's hard to do when you feel that such an action is rewarding bullying behaviour. But your safety counts most of all, especially if you feel yourself distracted enough that you might (as you did) have an accident. The same goes for example when riding through the country and concerned, such as at dusk, that you might need to wipe off speed quickly for an animal. The advice especially applies when you're going below the speed limit - nothing wrong with that, but it is courtesy to pull over, and whether or not you agree with that, then it's most certainly smart to pull over. I don't even stop: indicate, pull over and slow, still in motion, the vehicle goes past and I'm immediately back on the road. Us Royal Enfield riders have it down to an art!