Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tachometer not playing..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Jun 25, 2016.

1. So I've lost/misplaced/forgotten my login for Ozvfr, so I'll ask here: 1995 VFR-750, everything on the dashboard is working properly, but the tacho isn't. There are a couple of wires running to the instruments and when the speedo stopped before I unplugged them both, WD40d them and re attached and it worked, but this hasn't helped with the tacho. Any ideas????

2. Look, give me a screwdriver and a hammer and I'll work it out for you. :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tach has green wire (common ground for all gauges) and the signal wire is yellow with green trace.
    Y/G wire goes through the main dash plug, then goes off the the ignition control unit. no other connections.

check the connector pins for the dash, check connector pins for ignition control unit, check for continuity between the two

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/upload...f5a225cb6465a7f-gen3_wiring_lores_preview.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. If you can post on NR without an internet connection, you can probably get an rpm readout by taping that yellow/green wire to your tongue.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. And just to complicate my orderly life, today about 60kms into a 500km ride, it started working again!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Probably some sort of intermittent connection behind the dash, maybe the pin is loose in the connector.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cracked track on PCB if it is that type of dash.

8. My thoughts too. Mrs Hornet and I are going to Melbourne by car for the first week of the school hols, so my mechanic can wrestle with it while I'm away....

• Like Like x 1
  9. .. And that's exactly what it was! My resourceful mechanic bridged the gap and now it's working fine!!
    Thanks for your help, Netriders!

• Like Like x 4