Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tach reading double the revs ?!?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by leewil1, Feb 13, 2006.

1. G'day all,

I have just brought a 1989 GPX250 and i am very happy with it. After riding it for two days everything was going fine until yesterday i noticed that the tachometer is reading double the revs (roughly).

I know that when i am doing 80 kph's it used to rev at 5 and half / 6. now it is reving at 11,000 rpm. Also when its at idle it used to tick overat 1500 / 2000 now its between 3500 / 4000.

Very strange and seems to be double from idle to higher reving.

If anyone had any thoughts please let me know.

I have been told that it might have been an earthing problem, I have checked that connecion from the battery to the engine block seems to be fine. Also i have now removed the front fairing and checked the wires going into the tach (bw, br etc...) and they look as good as new ??

Also have checked the battery and that appares to be fine - water levels good too.

Anymore thoughts - its driving me mad only have been riding 1 week so its important to me the tach

Thanks in advance,
    Lee.

2. Hassle Koma for the answer ;)

(from https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14092&highlight=tacho ).

Justin.

3. As is in the link that Sir_B gave you... it was a bit of a hit and miss afair but we found that there were a few loose cables, and one or two cracked solder joints. Soldered it all back together and tightened everything up and it fixed it!

Hardly what i'd call a scientific method but it lead to my belief that 'something was loose'. :wink: :grin:

4. Hi Koma,

Could you please tell me what solder joints very cracked and what cables were loose going to take the bike apart 2morro and check all the wiring.

Thanks for you help.

5. Any more thoughts Komo / Anyone ?