Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

TAC suggestion / feedback

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mattb, Oct 10, 2007.

1. I just emailed this off to TAC, as a suggestion. Regardless of whether or not TAC will do anything about it, what do other people think of the idea? The letter is not planned and so is not at all polished, but hopefully you (and they) can see what I'm talking about. Who else found the Ride Smart CD helpful?

Two or three years ago I completed the Ride Smart CD-ROM. I'm sure it has saved my skin - I'm a very enthusiastic rider of five years (aged 29), riding is my only and daily transport, as well as my very frequent recreation, and I've never had an accident, though I've avoided some very dangerous situations created by negligent behaviour by car (and sometimes motorcycle) drivers, and I think this has a lot to do with what I took from the CD-Rom and habituated - things I didn't do so much before completing its training. For instance practicising saying out loud the dangers whcih is an activity on the CD translates into a habit of scanning to a better degree, and with greater predictive awareness (predication of *possible* dangers and negligent driver movements).

I have a suggestion for further rider education. Every second weekend at least, I go riding through the hot spots out east of Melbourne - the Yarra Ranges etc - and I always go with a group. Usually I play it safe and ignore those in the group who might egg me on to ride at a risky speed - and the pressure among riders to do this is powerful in subtle ways, despite rider lip-service to the contrary. Last Sunday I got caught up in such a moment and took a risk I would not usually do, which almost resulted in a head-on with a truck (without giving details, I still shudder when I think of the odds that landed me here). It was my fault completely, having put myself in a situation where the risk was forseeable and too high. I did it because of the pressure to keep up with the rate of the group. I think that education needs to be focussed also on such problems of group riding. We need something that has the effect of the Ride Smart CD, habituating certain practices and mentalities, in this case to combat the forces of group rider psychology which threaten our safety. I suspect that in many cases group psychology has a role to play in accidents involving recereational motorcycling. I suspect also that the cultural pressure which manifests in that psychology is also present even when a rider is on their own, though to a lesser - but still problematic - extent.

I [---] and am aware of the power of habituating certain thought patterns to the point of a change in thinking and feeling and reacting, and I have no doubt that such awareness informed the development of the Ride Smart CD. I think we need another CD working with those principles to combat the problem I have just discussed, of group psychology (and problematic aspects of rider culture). Those riders who would dismiss this as prescriptive need not order or complete the CD, those of us who agree with its principles and presentation but who find that, in the moment, other pressures can take over (and this happens to the best of us at certain moments) would benefit greatly from it.

2. good one and so true too

according to uni psychology, people are more likely to take a risk when in a group as opposed to when alone.

also, one thing i noticed from all my time spent in hospital, is that almost all the severe injuries i came accross [moto] were due to the rider at the end trying to keep up with the group.

good work matti and if they dont reply, send it to your local member or transport minister, then there's always the insurence companies, they would be interested.

cheers mate