Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC TAC-Smart riders aided by online training

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by chicken78, Aug 25, 2012.

1. http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/jsp/content/NavigationController.do?areaID=23&tierID=1&navID=63CC12CD7F00000101A5D19311EC6AC2&navLink=null&pageID=2270
    Smart riders aided by online program

A new online rider training program will help reduce road trauma by improving the skills of new motorcyclists before they hit the road.

Ride Smart, developed by the TAC with the help of experienced motorcycle trainers and other experts, provides training on a range of motorcycling skills such as hazard perception and decision making.

Rider deaths are down 24 per cent on last year, with 25 fatalities year to date compared to 33 at the same time last year.

TAC CEO Janet Dore said it was pleasing to see the reduction in rider fatalities and praised those riders who did the right thing by riding within the law and for the conditions.

"Ride Smart can help up-skill new riders and refresh the skills of those who haven’t ridden for a while," she said.

A previous version of Ride Smart was available as a CD ROM and was the first product of its kind in the world.

"This online program offers benefits to new and experienced riders with refresher courses and common hazard awareness training," Ms Dore said.

The release of Ride Smart online comes as motorcyclists across the state prepare for the peak riding season.

"As the weather slowly improves we know there will be more riders on the roads and we encourage all of those who may not have ridden for a while to make the most of Ride Smart."

To develop Ride Smart, the TAC consulted with motorcycle riders, riding experts and road safety agencies.

"Motorcyclists are among our most vulnerable road users and Ride Smart provides another way riders can help protect themselves on the roads," Ms Dore said.

Ride Smart online adds to a range of initiatives the TAC has developed to help improve rider safety.

"In addition to our recent Reconstruction campaign, the TAC has developed campaigns to educate all road users about motorcycle safety such as the Vice Versa campaign," Ms Dore said.

The new Ride Smart exercises aim to:

Address common types of motorcycle crashes
    Address the risks posed by other road users not giving way to motorcyclists
    Provide experience of night and wet weather conditions
    Provide scooter contexts, and
    Show positive head checks, especially when changing lanes.
    The new online version also offers prize draws, rewards and a Hall of Fame.

Ride Smart is free to all Victorian motorcycle permit or licence holders.

The program can be accessed online at Ridesmartonline.com.au
  2. I tried to approach this objectively. The TAC has enough budget to get some really good people involved on a project like this. They might have done a really good job.

The very first exercise depicts a motorcycle approaching a stop sign, indicating their intention to turn right. The user is asked to identify the risks faced in this scenario. The commentary then states that (from memory) the biggest risk is approaching the intersection at this speed (think the speedo indicated 40), and that braking from this speed while leaning into the turn will cause the motorcycle to lose control and crash.

I may still be a novice rider, I've only been riding a few years, so I put this out there for the more experienced riders to clarify for me:

What sort of lean angle do you expect when you're approaching a stop sign, prior to turning right?

(Don't rush to answer, I have to go out the back and beat my head against the wall now...)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Im running through all the exercises now,a number of questionable quotes in this program.

A car in the right lane, motorcyclist passes to the left(note-doing the speed limit), a car & pedestrian then pulls out from the left side of the road...

"Although the car & pedestrian are partly at fault, its the motorcyclists speed and position that has created the dangerous situation"

or have I read too much into that?

Although, the program for hazard perception is a good tool for newbies.
  4. Let me think. Approaching a Stop sign. FFS, I'm a complete newb still, but I don't think braking at a high lean angle would be my greatest risk. Unless I was doing 68 I guess...
  5. I'm genuinely interested in peeps opinions of the cd rom & program. Only 16% of new licensees take up the offer for the cd rom & only 2.5% of those complete it. Why?
  6. The shift to online is mostly about trying to maintain the motivation to get the program completed.
  7. Because it too unreal.
  8. I found the CD too long, and a pain to complete in smaller sections. It repeated the same sort of example over to many times, and as Smee says, it was unreal. The resolution was too low, it presented a face forward view that was too contricted with no periferal vision, and the issues that we were supposed to spot were too hard to see. I did see a bunch of other concerns though, that were never mentioned. So I found it inaccurate as well as unreal. But okay, it was a first try. Cudos for that.

I think Many people would have started the CD, seem what it was on about, and quit before completing it, because there was no benefit in completing it. I know I nearly did. The offer to win something, of dubious value, wasn't worth the effort, and isn't for the online version.

If the online version says things like chicken78 mentioned, specifically that "Although the car & pedestrian are partly at fault" when "a car & pedestrian then pulls out from the left side of the road", then it is a complete fail as well. Until the TAC learns that a motorcyclist doing the limit and following all laws is not at fault at all, even though they may be at risk, they will not win the hearts and minds of motorcyclists.

I might try to go through it later on.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Just registered and started doing the exercises. At a stop sign, by definition we must come to a complete stop even though we are indicating to turn right. Hence we wouldn't be "leaning into the turn" at any angle.

So far so stupid.

Continuing. The next exercise I want to turn right in front of an oncoming tram which is slowing. I identified speed, the tram and the tracks as hazards - the video (correctly) then points out that an oncoming car is hidden by the tram - which is a possible and likely scenario.

In both exercises so far the voice over has said crashes are "likely" or "highly likely" in these scenarios. What?

The next scenario has nice video of you following another bike with a nice exhaust pop on a windy hilly road, dark, wet and foggy. Heaven! I correctly identify an oncoming car and the wet road as potential hazards. Voice over suggests riding on wet, hilly, foggy road "is very risky". OK, if you say so dear. The VO then makes the (good) point that "rubber banding" and speeding up to keep up to your companion is a risk, which it is.
  10. So, basically, while it's trying to give some kind of training to new riders, it's ALSO being used as a social engineering tool to explain just how dangerous riding a murdercycle really is. Is that about the gist of it?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Is that a Dorothy dixer?

Edit: just to clarify, was that a rhetorical statement/question?
  12. I completed the CD-ROM version when it first came out (7 years ago?) and I have nothing but praise for it. I could really see my hazard perception increase, and given that I've avoided so many potential crashes through keen hazard perception I'd be unfair not to give some credit to the CD. I'd invite newbies especially to ditch any TAC cynicism and paranoia and go through the training.

I could sit here and say I don't need that rubbish and I can work this out myself...but it did sharpen my skills, and those skills (however much they are attributable to the CD is not measurable at this point but my instincts are inclined to assert that it has a part in this outcome) have saved my skin time and again. Don't we have an ongoing stream of threads about newbies coming off in stupid ways and blaming drivers, gravel etc etc?

I don't think I suffered any brainwashing.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. odd that the copper at the start encourages us to do rider training. thought TAC was opposed to this. also if they know all these hazards, why do they just bang on about us speeding in the ads?
  14. Most riders possibly don't take this up because it includes those three little words TAC

They had an opportunity here to do something positive " but just couldn't help themselves with the blame the rider attitude :(

Anti motorcycle body .
    • Like Like x 2
  15. If you want to know what we're talking about without doing it yourself...

• Like Like x 9
  16. it's just too painfully obvious that it was'nt created by people who ride motorcycles.
    so can't have any confidence in it.
  17. This is the more likely scenario.
  18. So I just finished the whole lot to see what all the fuss is about. I never got the CD to start with so the online version was the 1st time I saw it.

· Quality was poor and made some of the visuals poor (can’t see indicators or brake lights) this effected some of the decisions I made incorrectly.

· 80% of the safety actions of defence or avoidance are general road craft messages that apply to cars, trucks and bikes. Granted bikes have different reactions and out comes but let’s face it. It not safe to tai lgate, overtake on the left or enter a corner fast in wet and foggy conditions in a car or bike so I am not learning something new here.(Would be good for the 1st time road user)

· I don’t like to be told that I need to take extra extra care because other road users break the law on you. Yes we ride more defensive and I have been taught to do this but now the government tells me as well. So they know this happens and yet do nothing prevent it they want me to take extra care?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Great point.